Excused absence

ogrelord

Ground Down
When I provide my Center Manager a Doctor's note can they refuse the note and require me to work? or Would they be allowed to disclipline me for excessive absences when a Doctor's note was provided for each absence?

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
When I provide my Center Manager a Doctor's note can they refuse the note and require me to work? or Would they be allowed to disclipline me for excessive absences when a Doctor's note was provided for each absence?

doctors note or not, if you are over your number of sick days, they can take disiplinary action. sorry

ogrelord

Ground Down
Is it safe practice for UPS to override what a medical doctor says in regards tohealth and safety conditions to go to work? Wouldn't it be a health risk to not only UPS but the community to enfoce employees to work while contagious?

drewed

Shankman
Is it safe practice for UPS to override what a medical doctor says in regards tohealth and safety conditions to go to work? Wouldn't it be a health risk to not only UPS but the community to enfoce employees to work while contagious?
Yea its not meant to override its meant as you made a commitment to be at work if you cant make that you neither A need to quit or B file for FMLA and see if you get approved. its not fair to the company for you not to be there and you leave your coworkers hanging because they have to pick up the slack

ogrelord

Ground Down
FMLA will protect a person's job for 12 weeks, that do not have to be taken consecutively or 60 days per year per employee. Great idea! I would think that most physicians would sign if they felt it would protect their patients employment and well being due to routine illness. True documented illness does not diminish an employees committment to their job.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
FMLA will protect a person's job for 12 weeks, that do not have to be taken consecutively or 60 days per year per employee. Great idea! I would think that most physicians would sign if they felt it would protect their patients employment and well being due to routine illness. True documented illness does not diminish an employees committment to their job.

here is a novel idea for you, go to work sick. most of us have done that. it's called life, its called responsibility, to yourself and others.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
LOL, right on downsized. The last time I was really sick, I went to work. When I had to puke, I did, I pulled over and spewed my brains out, and went back to the business at hand. I told the customers I was way sick and that I'd wash my hands after signing, if I was them. Of course I would have taken the day off, if I had sick days left, but had none.

Here's a good lesson for you to learn. Never put your hands in your face, ever. This will keep 99% of germs away from you. Just a helpful tip, from your friendly neighborhood upsguy.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
LOL, right on downsized. The last time I was really sick, I went to work. When I had to puke, I did, I pulled over and spewed my brains out, and went back to the business at hand. I told the customers I was way sick and that I'd wash my hands after signing, if I was them. Of course I would have taken the day off, if I had sick days left, but had none.

Here's a good lesson for you to learn. Never put your hands in your face, ever. This will keep 99% of germs away from you. Just a helpful tip, from your friendly neighborhood upsguy.

i'm right there with you Steve. once when i went to work sick (i even had days left, but hated calling in and dealing with that) i go sicker as the day went on, so sick that they called 911 and the paramedics to me to the e.r.

There`s going in sick and then there`s chancing your going to be sick enough to be a hazard to the public. You so much as scratch that pretty brown truck,sick or not,and it`s your ass. Do something worse and it`s your job. Just like the alcohol commercial says,know when to say when. Don`t be an unemployed superstar.

brownrodster

Fortunately I have not been sick since I've been a driver and have a lot of sick days accumulated. However, when I was PT I had a legitimate reason to not be at work and simply said 'peace out' and didn't go to work for a few days. They called me everyday begging me to come to work but in the end they did nothing to me and did not even ask to see my doctors note. It probably depends a lot on the relationship you have with your management and what it is exactly that you do.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Considering this question is coming up on the busiest week of the UPS year, you are a liability and should find a better cleaner work environment to be at.

UPS is not your mother and needs you to come to work so they can get the job done. If you were out with pneumonia (or similar ailment), then it can be understood. But the way you context the question, it doesn't sound like you are really that sick.:sick:

Nitelite

Steve and Downsized, are you complete tools? You're both boasting of jeopardizing the health of those around you. Have you no regard for those you come in contact with? Spare me your self righteousness, i'll be able to pick up the slack in your absence. Stay home and rest up, you have an obligation to your co-workers and your customers.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
Considering this question is coming up on the busiest week of the UPS year, you are a liability and should find a better cleaner work environment to be at.

UPS is not your mother and needs you to come to work so they can get the job done. If you were out with pneumonia (or similar ailment), then it can be understood. But the way you context the question, it doesn't sound like you are really that sick.:sick:

i agree. i also think if he/she can sit on the computer on a message board or chat room, then perhaps they are not all that sick after all. :peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
LOL, right on downsized. The last time I was really sick, I went to work. When I had to puke, I did, I pulled over and spewed my brains out:sick:, and went back to the business at hand. I told the customers I was way sick and that I'd wash my hands after signing, if I was them. Of course I would have taken the day off, if I had sick days left, but had none.

There`s going in sick and then there`s chancing your going to be sick enough to be a hazard to the public. You so much as scratch that pretty brown truck,sick or not,and it`s your ass. Do something worse and it`s your job. Just like the alcohol commercial says,know when to say when. Don`t be an unemployed superstar.

Steve and Downsized, are you complete tools? You're both boasting of jeopardizing the health of those around you. Have you no regard for those you come in contact with? Spare me your self righteousness, i'll be able to pick up the slack in your absence. Stay home and rest up, you have an obligation to your co-workers and your customers.

Read the red highlight, I gave them an out. BTW what the heck is a tool?
You saying I'm like a screwdriver or hammer?

steeltoe

doctors note or not, if you are over your number of sick days, they can take disiplinary action. sorry

They can take disiplinary action for anything, including for you doing nothing wrong at all. This is why we have the grievance process. I do not know the posters ailment and will not pretend to know it. It could be serious or not, but the fact that he provided a doctors note, which by the way, is much more educated in the health field than a supervisor, then the employee would be fine at any panel hearing. If a doctor gives you an excuse, it is an excuse. The company may not accept it, but an arbitrator more than likely would.

drewed

Shankman
They can take disiplinary action for anything, including for you doing nothing wrong at all. This is why we have the grievance process. I do not know the posters ailment and will not pretend to know it. It could be serious or not, but the fact that he provided a doctors note, which by the way, is much more educated in the health field than a supervisor, then the employee would be fine at any panel hearing. If a doctor gives you an excuse, it is an excuse. The company may not accept it, but an arbitrator more than likely would.

See I dont think they would, you sign an agreement to be at work when youre hired, most new hire packets Ive seen have the attendance policy in it you read and sign it......The point of sick time and having the amount of occurences is to protect the employee, even calling in once a month is still quite a bit, if youre having health issues that require more then that you need to file for FLMA and hope it gets approved the company cant do it for you and if youre dumb enough not to thats on you.