Expanding natural gas by 30%

UPS4Life

Ugh, LNG trucks suck. We are getting 15 new tractors this month, luckily 9 of them are diesel. Hopefully I can get one of those.
Serious question not being an ace but have you driven an lng tractor? I have for some time now and think they are really good. Throttle takes a little getting use to but other than that I think they pull good and ride nice. There's a couple trucks that need a little work here and there but everything new is going to need something.

Sent using BrownCafe App

2Slow

Serious question not being an ace but have you driven an lng tractor? I have for some time now and think they are really good. Throttle takes a little getting use to but other than that I think they pull good and ride nice. There's a couple trucks that need a little work here and there but everything new is going to need something.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I have driven both the Mack and KW LNG tractors.
I don't care for KW because I'm just not comfortable in them, though it seems the throttle is a bit better than the Mack, but I've only got a few days in the KWs.
The Macks would be good if they could fix the throttle, which is truly awful, and if they could figure out why they keep stalling at inconvenient times such as driving on the interstate. Wouldn't hurt if the fuel gauge worked too, since you really can't unscrew the cap and look in there. Not enough weight on the drive axel seems to be a real problem on the twin screws.
Other than those issues, the Macks are pretty nice.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Well, I wouldn't have commented on them if I hadn't. They can't pull worth a damn. We don't even have to deal with that many large inclines and they do very poorly. I was on cover board so I even drive a different tractor every single day so I can compare them all to one another. Also we only have 10 speeds, so maybe that has something to do with it.

greengrenades

LNG - Liquid Natural Gas

CNG - Compressed Natural Gas

It just refers to the way it is stored in the tanks. CNG is pressurized to over 3000 psi in the tanks.

LNG is stored as a liquid. A really cold liquid.

LNG gives better "gas" mileage and you can store over twice as much LNG in the same size tanks as CNG. ie, you can go farther per tank.
Gotcha thanks.

UPS4Life

I have driven both the Mack and KW LNG tractors.
I don't care for KW because I'm just not comfortable in them, though it seems the throttle is a bit better than the Mack, but I've only got a few days in the KWs.
The Macks would be good if they could fix the throttle, which is truly awful, and if they could figure out why they keep stalling at inconvenient times such as driving on the interstate. Wouldn't hurt if the fuel gauge worked too, since you really can't unscrew the cap and look in there. Not enough weight on the drive axel seems to be a real problem on the twin screws.
Other than those issues, the Macks are pretty nice.
I wonder if ups/cummins communicates. Mine stalled once they took it to cummins for a couple days came back never stalled again and fuel gauge seems accurate now it doesn't bounce around. But I do agree it is nicer just looking in especially when the last person is incapable of writing fueled and mileage on a piece of paper.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPS4Life

Well, I wouldn't have commented on them if I hadn't. They can't pull worth a damn. We don't even have to deal with that many large inclines and they do very poorly. I was on cover board so I even drive a different tractor every single day so I can compare them all to one another. Also we only have 10 speeds, so maybe that has something to do with it.
We only have 10 speed Mack's that are lng. It was rumored at first we were getting all automatics glad that didn't happen. Does anybody know if they have automatic lng tractors single or tag axle? I really wish they would make a true twin screw again.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The regular KW's don't pull worth a damn anyway so I wouldn't expect their lngs to be different. I don't really care about that to be honest, more important to me to have a quiet ride and a comfortable seat. Stalling out in the middle of intersections though, I can see where that's a problem.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We only have 10 speed Mack's that are lng. It was rumored at first we were getting all automatics glad that didn't happen. Does anybody know if they have automatic lng tractors single or tag axle? I really wish they would make a true twin screw again.

Sent using BrownCafe App
MMMMMMMM. TWIN SCREW! I used to dream about that.:biggrin:

MaceFremonti

When we got them last year management told us it was purely because long chassis' coming from PGHRR would occasionally have too much weight on the drives on the single screws.

Cheaper than a real twin screw and solves the weight issue.

I have one on my NEWPA run. It's OK....still prefer the single screw Macks though.

UPS4Life

I really don't understand why the get these tag axle pieces of garbage. They get stuck everywhere. Sure, maybe they're cheaper, but the tow costs add up..
Agreed! I got stuck under an empty with a dusting of snow and yes I locked the diff

Sent using BrownCafe App

greengrenades

Sent using BrownCafe App
Someone on here posted his new tractor and it was an automatic LNG. I forget his name but he has a avatar of him on a door with triples.

MoarTape

When we got them last year management told us it was purely because long chassis' coming from PGHRR would occasionally have too much weight on the drives on the single screws.

Our union steward got told to turn around on his way to Toledo one day. They told him to get something lighter..lol

And by they, I mean the ODoT or state police (can't remember which).

Last edited:

spif91

How is the refueling for a cng? I've never seen a ups cng truck. With an lng you just hook the ground hook the nozzle press go and wait a couple minutes is cng similar?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Takes about 15 mins...
image.jpg

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
There is a video on upsers.com giving an overview of the lng mack tractor. Its under my workspace. Health and safety. Automotive Engineering - New Vehicle Familiarization