Expensive Three Dollar Mirror

klein

Für Meno :)
Still haven't heard from Itchy, or was it Scratchy, how his day went today :( Drive along and all.

Give us an update ...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Still haven't heard from Itchy, or was it Scratchy, how his day went today :( Drive along and all.

Give us an update ...

I started work fifteen minutes early Monday and had to take a couple of safety test online that were on Five Seeing Habits and Space and Visibilty. I also got to see my list of nine accidents over my career. I started driving in April, 1984, and had three the first year and two my second year. the other four were spread out over the rest of time, all of them minor and mostly backing accidents. Then I got the pleasure of stepping forward during the PCM and explain my horrible incident where I lost the battle between my mirror and the wet tree limb. Everybody's mouth dropped open when I stated that I was going to be charged with an accident over a three dollar piece of glass. Cries of "Thats BS!" rose up in the air, including one of the supervisors. My Shop Steward joined in and said something about past practices where we have always just wrote up a mirror and got it replaced. Later in the day, the FT Supervisor assigned to safety, met me on area and rode with me for two hours. I was quizzed on Five Seeing Habits, Ten Point Commentary, how to pick up a package, blah, blah, blah. This morning, my Supervisor and my Shop Steward informed me that I would be expecting a Warning Letter that will go out in the mail for me today.

So no big deal really. My original intent of this thread was to try to understand why in the world would something like this be allowed to be turned over to an insurance company and my Center be charged with a $1500 Tier One Accident. The ironic part is somebody hit my right view mirror of my personal truck when my wife parked it while shopping a couple of weeks ago. I was on vacation and wanted to fix it. I didn't call Allstate and get them to buy me a new one. I called one of my customers and was charged fifty bucks for a used one out of his auto salvage yard. He shipped it UPS and it arrived at my house broken. So I broke a three dollar mirror that belongs to UPS, and UPS broke a fifty dollar mirror that belongs to me. Nice.

Last edited:

klein

Für Meno :)
I agree with you. Anything personal under $2000 - you might as well pay yourself. Or the insurance will get you for more over the time.

Only a 2hr ride along. That wasn't bad at all.

But, yes, all that stink for nothing.
And if you do have a "real" accident soon.... this this may come to haunt you.
It sucks.

But, anyways. I'm glad it's all over for you now. :)

bad company

semi-pro
If it makes you feel any better Scratch, the USPS attempted to deliver a certified letter from UPS to me today.... guess I got in trouble and don't even know about it yet since I'm on vacation!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I started work fifteen minutes early Monday and had to take a couple of safety test online that were on Five Seeing Habits and Space and Visibilty. I also got to see my list of nine accidents over my career. I started driving in April, 1984, and had three the first year and two my second year. the other four were spread out over the rest of time, all of them minor and mostly backing accidents. Then I got the pleasure of stepping forward during the PCM and explain my horrible incident where I lost the battle between my mirror and the wet tree limb. Everybody's mouth dropped open when I stated that I was going to be charged with an accident over a three dollar piece of glass. Cries of "Thats BS!" rose up in the air, including one of the supervisors. My Shop Steward joined in and said something about past practices where we have always just wrote up a mirror and got it replaced. Later in the day, the FT Supervisor assigned to safety, met me on area and rode with me for two hours. I was quizzed on Five Seeing Habits, Ten Point Commentary, how to pick up a package, blah, blah, blah. This morning, my Supervisor and my Shop Steward informed me that I would be expecting a Warning Letter that will go out in the mail for me today.

So no big deal really. My original intent of this thread was to try to understand why in the world would something like this be allowed to be turned over to an insurance company and my Center be charged with a $1500 Tier One Accident. The ironic part is somebody hit my right view mirror of my personal truck when my wife parked it while shopping a couple of weeks ago. I was on vacation and wanted to fix it. I didn't call Allstate and get them to buy me a new one. I called one of my customers and was charged fifty bucks for a used one out of his auto salvage yard. He shipped it UPS and it arrived at my house broken. So I broke a three dollar mirror that belongs to UPS, and UPS broke a fifty dollar mirror that belongs to me. Nice.
I count myself in good company Scratch. I got an Art. 37 this morning. Oh well, schiiiiit happens. :slap:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I count myself in good company Scratch. I got an Art. 37 this morning. Oh well, schiiiiit happens. :slap:
Yeah, I got a warning letter per Article 52, I had already turned in a grievance form. It seems like such a silly game to me. I was the primary harassment target for a couple of days, but somebody else screwed up worse. So I gladly gave up being the number one target to somebody that hit a garbage can that was in the road. He went around a blind curve and had to choose between having a head-on, hitting the garbage can, or taking a chance of turning over in the ditch.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yup, sucks big time. At least you got your warning letter mailed to you. They handed me mine in front of everyone.:sad-very:
If they ever do that to me it might get ugly. I might just drop trou right there, wipe my ass with it, and hand it back to them. Might as well give everyone a real show.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was told mine was ungrievable, basically. Even though I told two sups that I would have late air, delivered pure air and had a late air. They said I could if I want, not much warm and fuzzy there. They said a letter in my file saying I protested it would be good.
So how many do I need to get a day off? I need a day off, LOL.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yeah, I got a warning letter per Article 52, I had already turned in a grievance form. It seems like such a silly game to me. I was the primary harassment target for a couple of days, but somebody else screwed up worse. So I gladly gave up being the number one target to somebody that hit a garbage can that was in the road. He went around a blind curve and had to choose between having a head-on, hitting the garbage can, or taking a chance of turning over in the ditch.

Your situation is just wrong. There isn't much that one can do if the state/county/city or property owners don't keep their trees cut back. You certainly don't want to move over into the other lane and risk a more serious accident.

I won't be grieving my warning letter. It was justified and there is no point in fighting it. It's highly unlikely that my mechanic will be treating me like I am stupid anymore so as far as I am concerned, the end justified the means. And my mechanic will never doubt the voracity with which I will make sure he does his job.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Does the Mechanic have anything left to sit on? Speaking of professional conduct, I blew my cool on Wednesday night, and lucked out that the PT supe was chewed out first by the center manager before she could report me. I guess she realized her mistake, and we made up Thursday night.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Does the Mechanic have anything left to sit on? Speaking of professional conduct, I blew my cool on Wednesday night, and lucked out that the PT supe was chewed out first by the center manager before she could report me. I guess she realized her mistake, and we made up Thursday night.

Not sure but he shouldn't have. Esp. since my center manager got a call from DOT over it. :happy-very:

deepsouthmamaw

My mirror brackets don't hold. Sometimes when I go 65 on the highway and their is a big wind they fold. I have written this up several times but after a couple of mths they start acting up again. Once a big gust came at the truck as I was going 65 and same thing happened, mirror folded, slamed against hand rail and cracked. Told mechanic wrote it up. And it was fixed. End of story.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My mirror brackets don't hold. Sometimes when I go 65 on the highway and their is a big wind they fold. I have written this up several times but after a couple of mths they start acting up again. Once a big gust came at the truck as I was going 65 and same thing happened, mirror folded, slamed against hand rail and cracked. Told mechanic wrote it up. And it was fixed. End of story.
But, do the mirror arms still fold in from heavy wind?:knockedout:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I "borrowed" an adjustable wrench from the shop and it lives in my package car now. I tighten my own mirrors as needed.