Express Doesn't know the actual weight of packages..?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Not "one person". A manager who has been managing (in different capacities) at FedEx for over 20 years.

And if it's a choice between shipping the package at a discounted rate or not getting the business at all (by turning it away since nothing over 150lb is allowed in the system), I could see FedEx turning a blind eye to get the business.

You can blame the couriers for not doing their job. THEY are the ones who are supposed to stop the packages at the origin.

T

Turdferguson

Not "one person". A manager who has been managing (in different capacities) at FedEx for over 20 years.

And if it's a choice between shipping the package at a discounted rate or not getting the business at all (by turning it away since nothing over 150lb is allowed in the system), I could see FedEx turning a blind eye to get the business.

That manager is one person, and who would they lose the business to?

STFXG

This doesn't make sense at all. Every package that comes off our trucks crosses over the "swak" machine which weighs them before they go on an outbound trailer.

How do they measure payload on the aircraft? Is it by the entire weight of the can?

I find it hard to believe they don't weigh every single package. That's millions in revenues if shippers are putting a lower shipping weight than actual. They just aren't changing the weight on the barcode.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This doesn't make sense at all. Every package that comes off our trucks crosses over the "swak" machine which weighs them before they go on an outbound trailer.

How do they measure payload on the aircraft? Is it by the entire weight of the can?

I find it hard to believe they don't weigh every single package. That's millions in revenues if shippers are putting a lower shipping weight than actual. They just aren't changing the weight on the barcode.

Yes. They weigh the entire can. It's the last thing done before they are taken out to the planes.

It will be fine

Every automated sorter weighs them as they are scanned. No way FedEx would not capture the revenue. If they didn't every package would say 1lb. Everyone in the corporation is aware of the overweight shipments. They track the injuries too. They are getting the money. If FedEx is good at one thing, it's getting money.

dezguy

I thought they installed machinery in all the hubs that not only measured each package that goes through for DIM but also weighed each package? Hence the reason for eliminating REXing bonuses for couriers.

alpha x

Yes. They weigh the entire can. It's the last thing done before they are taken out to the planes.

This is how the manager told me to weigh a package we suspected to be over 150: by keeping it in the can, then weighing the can, and subtracting the standard can weight. He said that's the only way to get the actual weight.
Otherwise, the system just does the DIM weight, and if the ASTRA weight is lower than the DIM weight, the shipper gets charged the difference. But he said that we do not check the ACTUAL weight of every single package.

alpha x

That manager is one person, and who would they lose the business to?

It's not that they would lose it to anyone. They just would preclude FedEx Express from getting the business, because of the policy not to allow anything over 150lbs into the Express system.

Say something weighs 175lbs and ShipperA wants to ship via Express. If FedEx checks the actual weight, and it is over 150, they have to turn down the package and get $0.
Conversely, if FedEx fails to get the actual weight, and if the shipper puts "150lbs" on the ASTRA, then FedEx gets big$$ for shipping a "150lb" package.

Nolimitz

Every automated sorter weighs them as they are scanned. No way FedEx would not capture the revenue. If they didn't every package would say 1lb. Everyone in the corporation is aware of the overweight shipments. They track the injuries too. They are getting the money. If FedEx is good at one thing, it's getting money.
not all stations have automated sorters. I'm at a 90 rte station and its all hand sorted, loaded and weighed in the can.

Maui

I thought they installed machinery in all the hubs that not only measured each package that goes through for DIM but also weighed each package? Hence the reason for eliminating REXing bonuses for couriers.

Yes, this is true. I had some couriers that really wanted to REX packages and did not believe me when I told him that all packages are weighed at the hub. I had to show him some packages from the same shipper to prove that it is true.

Ideally stickers should be added to capture that weight. We occasionally had Freight that made it to our stations. We sent those packages with RTD to be delivered by heavyweight. If it makes it into the Express system from origin, then everyone is probably screwed.

dex 84

Anyone else ever get a FedEx freight package? I didn't even realize that's what it was until I scanned it at the stop and it asked about extra charges for bringing it inside the customer's location and there were a couple other options.

RedAngel

Could be worse you could be delivering a fridge to the second floor apartment with no elevator like the HD guy here.
image.jpeg

SmithBarney

yes packages are rex'd in hub, believe me I've had my share of surcharges 6lb box(I put 5lb on airbill) actually it'll get rexd at the front counter automatically. as for the 150lbs needs to be stopped at origin, same goes for pallets too.

Purplepackage

Add oversized to the list. Size restrictions have been greatly overlooked last few years. Car parts and Amazon/Walmart being the worse offenders.

Yeah we have an Amazon warehouse that only deals with their big stuff. They will literally bulk a truck out with toilets, box springs etc. and then expect a second truck to come LOL

l22

This does bother me a little but at this point I'm pretty much over it. If it's too heavy I get help, whether it's lifting it out of the can or putting it into the truck. Then when I get to the stop I just push it out the door and drive away. If possible I park on an incline to make it even easier to push it out.

One of the worst is those inversion tables for people with back problems. By the time I deliver the thing I'mgoing to need one of my own. And then the guy that delivers mine will need one...

If I can't get help with any package 75lb or over, it's either staying in the truck (delivery) or not going in the truck (PUP)