Express gave exground employee position over express drivers with lower employee numb

Any one else heard of this BS On a recent full time driver posting they picked the 4th from the top because of his ground experience. The top candidate had over 5 years with express while the ex ground one had less than 2 years with express. Hey wait a min I have 5 years in . Does that mean he would have got the job over me if I bid too. I think it's a slap in the face. I thought your employee number was key to bidding. I took me almost 5 years to get full time and he gets it in less than 2?

Last edited:

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Re: Express gave exground employee position over express drivers with lower employee

Anything and everything falls under the "operational needs" catch all.

FedEx sucks

Re: Express gave exground employee position over express drivers with lower employee

I think this (new) policy will affect all of us somewhere down the line. I can't believe they are doing it. Maybe we should just hire ex-ground drivers instead of letting the handlers move in to part time courier positions. Hey they are already trained right? I think we all need to sign a petition.

Ricochet1a

Any one else heard of this BS On a recent full time driver posting they picked the 4th from the top because of his ground experience. The top candidate had over 5 years with express while the ex ground one had less than 2 years with express. Hey wait a min I have 5 years in . Does that mean he would have got the job over me if I bid too. I think it's a slap in the face. I thought your employee number was key to bidding. I took me almost 5 years to get full time and he gets it in less than 2?

Express did (and presumedly still does) use a two step qualification process for filling vacancies (which are seniority based and not interview based).

For any vacancy, there are applicants which are placed into two categories (forget the precise term for these categories). One category are applicants that already hold the job title and work status of the position being advertised. So if the position was for a full-time Courier, all CURRENT full-time Couriers (NOT part-time Couriers) would be placed into this 'higher' priority category. All full-time Couriers would be rank ordered in terms of applied seniority points (CEV), and award of the vacancy would be granted to the individual possessing the greatest CEV score. If there is only one applicant that is in this first category, they will automatically get the position.

The second category of applicants are all Express employees which ARE NOT currently classified in the job title AND work status. If the position were for a full-time Courier, any Express non full time Couriers (this would include part-time Couriers) applying to the position would be rank ordered according to their CEV points under this category. The applicant with the highest CEV point total would be offered the position - AS LONG AS there were no applicants in the higher category.

So you are going to need to do some research, and find out if the position was awarded to an existing full-time Courier (while the rest of the applicants were NOT full-time Couriers). If this was the case, the award was legit. On the other hand, if this 2 year employee WASN'T already a full-time Courier, and was awarded the position ahead of other Express employees who had more CEV points - there is a basis for a GFT claim.

CEV points are a combination of years of service in combination with employment status (full or part time). Simply put, employees holding a part-time position only receive half the CEV points for a given number of years of service, than a full-time employee would receive with the same number of years of service.

So if this former Ground driver was a full-time Courier already (with his 2 years in), AND all of the other applicants were NOT currently holding a full-time Courier position, then this Courier with less than 2 years with Express would indeed be awarded the position - based on his being in the 'first' category of job applicants. You can have an employee with 25 years with Express bidding on a position, being 'beat out' by an employee with only 2 years in, IF that 2 year employee was in the first category of selection while the 25 year employee was classified into some other job code at the time of application and was in the second category. I saw this happen all the time when I was in Express.

Simply put, 'you' as a 5 year part-time Courier will be beat out on a full-time Courier position EVERY TIME, if.... an already classified full-time Courier applies for the position.

Station management no longer trains new employees how to go into JCATS and look at the applicants for a position, but if you know how to get into the system (open access to all employees), you can look at the CEV scores of the applicants for any open position, and it will indicate which applicants are in the first category and which are in the second category of applicants. if you are a second category applicant and you see that a first category applicant is listed - you can pretty much forget about getting the position. If there are no applicants in the first category and you are the highest ranked applicant in the second category when the position closes (in terms of CEV points), then the position will be awarded to you.

Last edited:

whenIgetthere

We have a courier with seven years who just lost on a route bid to an employee with less than two years. The employee with less than two years worked for UPS for awhile, and that was their reasoning. Total BS!

Myort

Was it for a swing driver position? Those positions are not seniority based. Management can choose to award them by seniority, or use the supplemental application process or even go as far as interviews.

whenIgetthere

Was it for a swing driver position? Those positions are not seniority based. Management can choose to award them by seniority, or use the supplemental application process or even go as far as interviews.

It was for a swing, but as far as most of us could tell, the lower employee number had more area knowledge than the higher employee number.

vantexan

I have to wonder since applicants are anonymous how you came by this info? At any rate I believe the new JCATS2 system no longer separates part-timers from full-timers in bidding for jobs but rather gives part-time employees points at half the rate of full-timers thus it's harder for them to accumulate enough points to beat out full-timers for job postings. Those that are already in a posting's job are given preference over those who aren't. One job I know of that can go beyond points and choose someone less senior is swing drivers. You'll see in the posting notes for them sometimes having a supplemental form they must fill out describing their experience. Doesn't happen often but I have seen several requiring this and I suspect the mgr already had someone in mind and by requiring the supplement was able to "choose" the most "qualified" and thus circumvent the system to insure they got who they wanted.

vantexan

Whoops you beat me to it.

vantexan

Maybe you should unionize if you want to bid based on seniority... If not, stop whining.

Regular courier positions are based on seniority. Maybe you should learn the facts before commenting on things you aren't familiar with.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Whoops you beat me to it.

Me too. I've seen some very interesting choices over the years, mainly those who are firmly stuck up management's ass. There are other hourly positions that also use a supplemental application. Dispatchers and ramp agents can beinterview positions, and if they want someone with experience, I have seen RTD positions where management used a supplemental application.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Maybe you should unionize if you want to bid based on seniority... If not, stop whining.

You need to get a clue. Express has so many Catch-22's that it's hard to keep up with all of them. One of the worst is the fact that someone can walk-in and get hired off the street and be making as much as someone who has been with the company for 5 years. Does that sound fair to you?

STFXG

You need to get a clue. Express has so many Catch-22's that it's hard to keep up with all of them. One of the worst is the fact that someone can walk-in and get hired off the street and be making as much as someone who has been with the company for 5 years. Does that sound fair to you?

Of course it doesn't sound fair.

So van, when express doesn't follow their own policies who holds them responsible? The couriers? They can change policies on a whim and do whatever they want.

vantexan

Of course it doesn't sound fair.

So van, when express doesn't follow their own policies who holds them responsible? The couriers? They can change policies on a whim and do whatever they want.

Of course they can. Several years ago I put in for a 4X10 cover driver posting in Victoria, TX. I was number one, and then told by mgr that they posted the position "just to see if there was any interest". Called their HR about it, got a call from their HR rep who in a very aggressive tone kept asking if I planned to file a GFT, telling me I couldn't, but wasn't satisfied until I said I wouldn't. I figured one of two things happened. Either they wanted a certain person hired and were waiting me out until I withdrew(ended up being only applicant), or my sr mgr called the director who was over my station and Victoria and got position taken from me so that he could hang on to me.

Before I transferred here I was told by my sr mgr that lateral moves weren't being allowed by couriers and that only transfers that were upgrades to swings or mgrs were being allowed. I checked JCATS and not only were there FT courier positions being posted but my senior had posted 2 of them at our sister station that very week. So I was being BSed but had an ace up my sleeve, I had a signed offer letter. When I filed the GFT they immediately changed their tune, the hiring freeze for lateral moves had suddenly been lifted, and I got my transfer to a location that posted a 5X8 FT courier job, put that in the offer letter, was told that by mgr before coming here, and then sprung it on me that I was to be a 4X10 cover. I could go on and on about other situations in the past, I've been screwed more than most, and very possibly the national fraud hotline was established after I reported on FedExaminer what mgrs were doing in a domiciled location I was in that resulted in demotions and firings.

That being said, and I could tell you so much more, generally if one is number one for a regular courier position they get the job. And mgrs who try to screw with that know they are playing with fire. FedEx does try to project to their employees that they do care, and if the JCATS system became a joke to be ridiculed it would be impossible for them to tell us anything with a straight face. Do mgrs try to get away with stuff? Yes, but not with Memphis's blessing.

But seriously the only reason you Ground contractors would like to see a union at Express is you know the company would do everything possible to minimize Express and shift as much freight as possible to Ground. Even more so than they're doing now. So please spare me the concern for my well being, everyone is in it for the money, you too.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

But seriously the only reason you Ground contractors would like to see a union at Express is you know the company would do everything possible to minimize Express and shift as much freight as possible to Ground. Even more so than they're doing now. So please spare me the concern for my well being, everyone is in it for the money, you too.

Exactly and you nailed it.

Bbsam, Northbound and STFXG he's talking about you in case you can't figure it out.

bbsam

Staff member

Incorrect. I don't care if you unionize or not. I just object to all the bitching and hand ringing year after year with refusal to do ANYTHING to change ones circumstances. That includes leaving the company as well as organizing. I have no concern for you other than wondering why if the company is going to insist on ass pounding you at every turn, why do you put up with it? Is it the best you can hope so? Then by definition things could be a helluva lot worse. That brings us back to R1as sage advice. Leave, organize, or bend over.

As to Ground getting more of the business, that's going to happen anyway. As far as that decision is concerned, you guys just aren't that relevant. Do whatever you want.

vantexan

Incorrect. I don't care if you unionize or not. I just object to all the bitching and hand ringing year after year with refusal to do ANYTHING to change ones circumstances. That includes leaving the company as well as organizing. I have no concern for you other than wondering why if the company is going to insist on ass pounding you at every turn, why do you put up with it? Is it the best you can hope so? Then by definition things could be a helluva lot worse. That brings us back to R1as sage advice. Leave, organize, or bend over.

As to Ground getting more of the business, that's going to happen anyway. As far as that decision is concerned, you guys just aren't that relevant. Do whatever you want.

Yeah, right. You are so concerned for our well being. I'd bet you've been monitoring this forum for years to glean any info that might affect your business. I put up with alot to get that pension. Not long after they terminated it the economy tanked. So what was I supposed to leave to when no one was hiring? A bright future as a Ground driver? And you know damn well the obstacles placed in front of us to organize. And if you know FedEx as well as you claim, you better hope we never do organize. The company has a long history of taking from one group to give to another. As I already pointed out, they'd give you even more freight than they are giving now to reduce Express to as small a size as possible. Think they'll give you more money? Maybe a little more, but they'll count on that extra profit to offset higher Express costs. You'll end up working harder and not being compensated fairly for it. Welcome to our world. Now come back with your standard BS but you know I'm right.