Express in Colorado

Purplepackage

Can anyone give me some insight on what the pay scales are like?

Is it enough to live out there?

Recently my son was given an offer by a very popular horse ranch in Durango that for 100k the older couple who owns will sell him everything(this is a very lucrative tourist attraction). So my wife and I are contemplating a move out there, we would be moving to Denver/Colorado springs for a few years until everything gets set into motion with the ranch.

!Retired!

I'm coming from the east coast around the Philadelphia area, things aren't exactly cheap out in the east but hey aren't outrageous either
Outrageous is a relative term. If you're selling there to move here, you should have enough money to buy something. We just had a guy move here from the tri-state area and bought in a very nice area. Naturally, it depends on where here you're planning on moving. Some zip codes are 'better' than others.

McFeely

Huge Member
I'm confused. Is this for your son or for you to possibly move out to Colorado? And living in Durango, or just the area? Durango is not exactly the less expensive part of Colorado.

bacha29

Laugh at this if you want to but the severe drought conditions the Western states are experiencing water prices are expected to continue to climb even higher and supplies expected to be tight given the growing population.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm confused. Is this for your son or for you to possibly move out to Colorado? And living in Durango, or just the area? Durango is not exactly the less expensive part of Colorado.

His son was offered a six figure job in Durango and the OP and his wife are considering following him out there.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
His son was offered a six figure job in Durango and the OP and his wife are considering following him out there.

As I read the OP, his son was offered the opportunity to buy a horse ranch for 100k.

Must be a really nice ranch for that kind of money.

vantexan

As I read the OP, his son was offered the opportunity to buy a horse ranch for 100k.

Must be a really nice ranch for that kind of money.
I find it hard to believe that a popular tourist attraction in a high cost area would only sell for $100k. $1,000,000 maybe.

Purplepackage

I find it hard to believe that a popular tourist attraction in a high cost area would only sell for $100k. $1,000,000 maybe.

An older couple current owns it and they are looking to retire, he has worked with them for 5 years after jumping around to different horse ranches in the southwest after college.

They are giving it to him, they had their fun and made their money and apparently feel like they found someone that can competently run their buisness

vantexan

An older couple current owns it and they are looking to retire, he has worked with them for 5 years after jumping around to different horse ranches in the southwest after college.

They are giving it to him, they had their fun and made their money and apparently feel like they found someone that can competently run their buisness
Being good pays off.

bacha29

Being good pays off.

Who will pay the gift taxes?

McFeely

Huge Member
Can anyone give me some insight on what the pay scales are like?

Is it enough to live out there?

Not sure how many years you have with the company, but here are 3 starting wages (from the fedex.com jobs page, not JCATS or anything)...

Salida, CO: $15.34 (Salida is sorta a mountain town, but not near as touristy as Durango)
Arvada, CO: $17.06 (this is the Denver metro area rate)
Eagle, CO: $17.67 (Eagle is 30 minutes outside of Vail...pretty much one of the most expensive resort areas in the mtns)

I don't live near Durango so I don't know what the real estate market is doing down there, but sounds like you might have that covered if you end up living on the ranch with your son?

Durango is an awesome town, though. Beautiful scenery, college town, good food and shopping. I'm sure delivering in the winter can be a bitch though.

Doc Sorting Dude

Get some legal advice. Does the deal include taking over the debts from the previous owner? Take a few days on a look around and see the operation for yourself, The business side is a lot more complex. Good Luck.

Flaco50

Not sure how many years you have with the company, but here are 3 starting wages (from the fedex.com jobs page, not JCATS or anything)...

Salida, CO: $15.34 (Salida is sorta a mountain town, but not near as touristy as Durango)
Arvada, CO: $17.06 (this is the Denver metro area rate)
Eagle, CO: $17.67 (Eagle is 30 minutes outside of Vail...pretty much one of the most expensive resort areas in the mtns)

I don't live near Durango so I don't know what the real estate market is doing down there, but sounds like you might have that covered if you end up living on the ranch with your son?

Durango is an awesome town, though. Beautiful scenery, college town, good food and shopping. I'm sure delivering in the winter can be a bitch though.

vantexan

SALIDA is a cool town but extremely expensive. Need to be topped out at least to live there
I was the topped out domicile in Salina in '97. I was on the C payscale at $13.11 until a few months before I quit when, after almost 4.5 years without raises for topped out employees, I went to $13.50. My mgr was in Pueblo where they were 2 payscales higher but cost of living was 30% less. He liked to mess with people, told me better enjoy that 39 cent raise cause it'll be the last I'll see for a long time. I should've transferred instead of quit, but by then pretty fed up with the company.

vantexan

I was the topped out domicile in Salina in '97. I was on the C payscale at $13.11 until a few months before I quit when, after almost 4.5 years without raises for topped out employees, I went to $13.50. My mgr was in Pueblo where they were 2 payscales higher but cost of living was 30% less. He liked to mess with people, told me better enjoy that 39 cent raise cause it'll be the last I'll see for a long time. I should've transferred instead of quit, but by then pretty fed up with the company.
That should be Salida, not Salina.