Express in Colorado

Keenj

Durango is pretty expensive to buy a house at. A low end dump house in town starts at 150k and go as high as the millions. It's crammed full of Cali trust fund babies that stink and smoke pot all day and you have to deal with idiotic, slack jaw tourists all year round. The surrounding area isn't bad. Just have to watch out for the tweakers stealing your stuff, especially on the res since law enforcement response time is in the 10s of minutes or longer.

SmithBarney

As I read the OP, his son was offered the opportunity to buy a horse ranch for 100k.

Must be a really nice ranch for that kind of money.

Actually in that area 100k would be a kinda bad deal for a dude ranch(tourist). if it's a successful ranch, it'll sell closer to $1mil. It might just be a trail horse operation(ie Business) with no property, in that case still too cheap(if its a good operation.)

Flaco50

I was the topped out domicile in Salina in '97. I was on the C payscale at $13.11 until a few months before I quit when, after almost 4.5 years without raises for topped out employees, I went to $13.50. My mgr was in Pueblo where they were 2 payscales higher but cost of living was 30% less. He liked to mess with people, told me better enjoy that 39 cent raise cause it'll be the last I'll see for a long time. I should've transferred instead of quit, but by then pretty fed up with the company.

Flaco50

I was the topped out domicile in Salina in '97. I was on the C payscale at $13.11 until a few months before I quit when, after almost 4.5 years without raises for topped out employees, I went to $13.50. My mgr was in Pueblo where they were 2 payscales higher but cost of living was 30% less. He liked to mess with people, told me better enjoy that 39 cent raise cause it'll be the last I'll see for a long time. I should've transferred instead of quit, but by then pretty fed up with the company.

vantexan

I just transferred up here last year not sure why domiciles paid less
FedEx knows it can find locals in such areas who'd love to get such a job. They always pay as low as possible and only pay more when they have to be competitive for workers. That's why in expensive towns like Flagstaff, AZ or Jackson, WY they pay much less than, for example, Southern California.