Express, just like yesterday and tomorrow.

Serf

I can understand the era where a young company needed veteran couriers to step into Ops Manager positions despite not coming from a managerial background. For the most part, it works. But what has become increasingly apparent, and perhaps not nationwide and nationwide is this:
*Our "Engineers" do not actually have Degrees in Engineering or anything comparatively similar. In fact, they came from Dispatch, via courier. How fantastic. This kind of robust salary to be in charge of nothing more than cutting hours to make budget. Or how to park trucks tactically to ensure a quicker sort time. But when we do not make budget, no consequence whatsoever. It's like being a weatherman, you can be wrong most of the time and still have a job. But at least the weather people need sound credentials for employment.
*Secondly, on a daily basis I see couriers who leave Dangerous Goods in the back of their trucks, mix FO parcels and docs, return trucks with no fuel, get in accidents almost weekly, and fail to make service religiously. I see handlers that cannot actually stack a can at a reasonable pace. Scanning and putting a package in a can in a manner that is not like Eyore from Winnie the Pooh. I talk with guys who have over 10 years in and some were surprised to here that Express does not interview viable candidates. The test is open book and what it has become is if you have four limbs and a pulse, and don't piss hot in this cup, you are in. You get what you pay for. Next week our helpers in neon vests with neck tattoos will be here. This is a huge help! Last year they smoked weed in the parking lot. And they will make more than the average company serf per hour.
Our soap dispensers are still broken because we outsourced a new cleaning company. Men haven't washed hands after taking ritual mid day break dumps. And I am quite certain a new form of bacteria is growing on the power pads which has led to a mass sickness. I am thankful to have a job.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I can understand the era where a young company needed veteran couriers to step into Ops Manager positions despite not coming from a managerial background. For the most part, it works. But what has become increasingly apparent, and perhaps not nationwide and nationwide is this:
*Our "Engineers" do not actually have Degrees in Engineering or anything comparatively similar. In fact, they came from Dispatch, via courier. How fantastic. This kind of robust salary to be in charge of nothing more than cutting hours to make budget. Or how to park trucks tactically to ensure a quicker sort time. But when we do not make budget, no consequence whatsoever. It's like being a weatherman, you can be wrong most of the time and still have a job. But at least the weather people need sound credentials for employment.

Who knew that's all it took? All these years....

*Secondly, on a daily basis I see couriers who leave Dangerous Goods in the back of their trucks, mix FO parcels and docs, return trucks with no fuel, get in accidents almost weekly, and fail to make service religiously. I see handlers that cannot actually stack a can at a reasonable pace. Scanning and putting a package in a can in a manner that is not like Eyore from Winnie the Pooh. I talk with guys who have over 10 years in and some were surprised to here that Express does not interview viable candidates. The test is open book and what it has become is if you have four limbs and a pulse, and don't piss hot in this cup, you are in. You get what you pay for.

No T-stacking video? FedEx is doing training on the cheap now, and you are seeing the results.

Next week our helpers in neon vests with neck tattoos will be here. This is a huge help! Last year they smoked weed in the parking lot. And they will make more than the average company serf per hour.

Frankly, I don't give a rats ass what try do in the parking lot as long as they don't damage my car, and they take my pkgs to the correct door. Their weed smoking is Fedex's problem, not mine. My station hired friends and family, as they did last year. Worked out pretty well.

Our soap dispensers are still broken because we outsourced a new cleaning company. Men haven't washed hands after taking ritual mid day break dumps. And I am quite certain a new form of bacteria is growing on the power pads which has led to a mass sickness. I am thankful to have a job.

Sounds like you guys need to make pests of yourselves to the secretary of your SM or the SM himself.

BTW, welcome to FedEx.

l22

*Secondly, on a daily basis I see couriers who leave Dangerous Goods in the back of their trucks, mix FO parcels and docs, return trucks with no fuel, get in accidents almost weekly, and fail to make service religiously. I see handlers that cannot actually stack a can at a reasonable pace. Scanning and putting a package in a can in a manner that is not like Eyore from Winnie the Pooh. I talk with guys who have over 10 years in and some were surprised to here that Express does not interview viable candidates. The test is open book and what it has become is if you have four limbs and a pulse, and don't piss hot in this cup, you are in. You get what you pay for. Next week our helpers in neon vests with neck tattoos will be here. This is a huge help! Last year they smoked weed in the parking lot. And they will make more than the average company serf per hour.

How does one become an engineer? I never see those positions in JCATS?

DRAisawesome

Look at the ops mgr jobs at Fedex express. They are plentiful. That position should be called a "smilet sandwich".

Senior says "why didn't you do something about that late freight, that accident, those FTE?" Easy senior. Why don't you get off the back here.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Amen, brother. Great post.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How does one become an engineer? I never see those positions in JCATS?

So true about our "engineers". However, I have heard that the DRA people were required to have an actual engineering degree, which makes me wonder if that is true given the abysmal failure that DRA has been.

We used to have one that would do the UPS stopwatch/clipboard test...complete maroon. I'm going to do another post on Taylorism soon, which I don't think a lot of new people are familiar with.

vantexan

And sadly they'll top out the new crop of couriers in 10 years but :censored2: all over the professionals who carried their asses the last 15 years.

MAKAVELI

Yes, the 10 step plan, not the 10 year plan. This company will do anything possible to screw you...count on it.
FedEx really has become a really friend.....ing depressing place to work. Most people I work with just don't give a friend... anymore.