Express, just like yesterday and tomorrow.

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by Migrant Worker, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Serf

Serf Active Member

I can understand the era where a young company needed veteran couriers to step into Ops Manager positions despite not coming from a managerial background. For the most part, it works. But what has become increasingly apparent, and perhaps not nationwide and nationwide is this:
    *Our "Engineers" do not actually have Degrees in Engineering or anything comparatively similar. In fact, they came from Dispatch, via courier. How fantastic. This kind of robust salary to be in charge of nothing more than cutting hours to make budget. Or how to park trucks tactically to ensure a quicker sort time. But when we do not make budget, no consequence whatsoever. It's like being a weatherman, you can be wrong most of the time and still have a job. But at least the weather people need sound credentials for employment.
    *Secondly, on a daily basis I see couriers who leave Dangerous Goods in the back of their trucks, mix FO parcels and docs, return trucks with no fuel, get in accidents almost weekly, and fail to make service religiously. I see handlers that cannot actually stack a can at a reasonable pace. Scanning and putting a package in a can in a manner that is not like Eyore from Winnie the Pooh. I talk with guys who have over 10 years in and some were surprised to here that Express does not interview viable candidates. The test is open book and what it has become is if you have four limbs and a pulse, and don't piss hot in this cup, you are in. You get what you pay for. Next week our helpers in neon vests with neck tattoos will be here. This is a huge help! Last year they smoked weed in the parking lot. And they will make more than the average company serf per hour.
    Our soap dispensers are still broken because we outsourced a new cleaning company. Men haven't washed hands after taking ritual mid day break dumps. And I am quite certain a new form of bacteria is growing on the power pads which has led to a mass sickness. I am thankful to have a job.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

BTW, welcome to FedEx.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Rhoderunner

Rhoderunner Active Member

"FedEx provides the kind of future I want"...........severely dissagree
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

BTW, welcome to hell is closer to the absolute truth.
  5. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

Nah. To me, hell would be hanging off a trash truck or emptying porta potties in the summer.
  6. Purplepackage

Purplepackage Well-Known Member

Or literally any hard labor job that pays 10 bucks an hour because by the way that's what most of them pay
  7. l22

l22 Active Member

How does one become an engineer? I never see those positions in JCATS?
  8. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

By having absolutely no experience with freight and a resume full of jobs where you never got your hands dirty.
  9. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

You need to be able to say the words "it works on paper" and believe you're right.
  10. DRAisawesome

DRAisawesome Active Member

Look at the ops mgr jobs at Fedex express. They are plentiful. That position should be called a "s**t sandwich".

Senior says "why didn't you do something about that late freight, that accident, those FTE?" Easy senior. Why don't you get off the back here.
  11. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

Amen, brother. Great post.
  12. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

So true about our "engineers". However, I have heard that the DRA people were required to have an actual engineering degree, which makes me wonder if that is true given the abysmal failure that DRA has been.

We used to have one that would do the UPS stopwatch/clipboard test...complete moron. I'm going to do another post on Taylorism soon, which I don't think a lot of new people are familiar with.
  13. vantexan

vantexan Well-Known Member

And sadly they'll top out the new crop of couriers in 10 years but shat all over the professionals who carried their asses the last 15 years.

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

They aren't topping out anyone else. It's just another carrot on a stick.
  15. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

Yes, the 10 step plan, not the 10 year plan. This company will do anything possible to screw you...count on it.

FedEx really has become a really depressing place to work. Most people I work with just don't give a f... anymore.
  17. vantexan

vantexan Well-Known Member

Maybe, but they're going to screw themselves if they don't stick to this plan.

They don't give a shat. As long as that stock goes up.