Express Peak 2014

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I was a temp and second man doing deliveries back in 1999.

As for this year....they added 3 routes (new loop) that will temporarily be covered by swings and I see about 6-7 people taking defensive driving class. Due to the routes being added, the existing routes were shrunk into a tighter area. All is fine and well, for now. Let's see what happens after PEAK when it slows down.
Just hope that those 6 or 7 new hires don't get frustrated and quit before December 24th.

dezguy

I was talking to the UPS guy on my route yesterday. They've already hired 4 drivers and 18 walkers, preparing for peak. My station? Nothing. Gee, I wonder who is going to fail miserably this peak...

Artee

There are 2 stations in a nearby district that has a lot of trouble keeping employees. They are going to be getting an extra 15% in pay through the end of December to stick it through. Another 2 stations in that district are planning on having a large sick out the day after Thanksgiving or that Monday. People have been pushed too hard and are sick of the micro management to save Fred the billion or two that he wants.

!Retired!

Oh well, that'll be more work for you if they do quit.
You are both right and wrong. There might be more work on my truck. But, that doesn't mean I can or will do more of it.
Jackal is like vantexan. He hates FedEx and loves it at the same time. Can you say "Passive/Aggressive/Severely Conflicted"?
I've said it before. I've always loved what I do, but I don't agree with everything the company does.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Sooooo, at my station, we were informed that we WILL be working the three Saturdays before Christmas. Then today, watching Frontline, MT3 says that we are probably having full operations on Sunday, Dec 21. WTF?!?

Last edited:

hypo hanna

Just talked to my SM about it. He was shocked that I don't want to work on Sunday. Uh, just because you live at work doesn't mean I choose to. He said it will depend on weather, volume, hours, etc.
Exactly.... They can't do it and they know it. Just some PR to settle the nerves of the shippers who still remember last years mess. Sunday the 21st will be voluntary, if you have the dot hours available ....just like every other peak.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Exactly.... They can't do it and they know it. Just some PR to settle the nerves of the shippers who still remember last years mess. Sunday the 21st will be voluntary, if you have the dot hours available ....just like every other peak.

And if they change people driving vans and Sprinters to non-DOT, DOT hours no longer come unto play.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And if they change people driving vans and Sprinters to non-DOT, DOT hours no longer come unto play.

Or you can send a couple of handlers to driving school. Give them a couple of hours total of learning to use a powerpad and a manageable delivery area on a day when commitment times aren't an issue (such as Sunday) and let them have at it.

vantexan

Jackal is like vantexan. He hates FedEx and loves it at the same time. Can you say "Passive/Aggressive/Severely Conflicted"?
Who says I love it? I just want accurate info about what's going on, not alot of hype. You posted about making us non-dot, said you'd have more later. Well, where is it? Or were you just stirring the pot? No one as yet has said when this will take place, if it's national or up to each state. Instead of taking shots how about some solid info?

MAKAVELI

Who says I love it? I just want accurate info about what's going on, not alot of hype. You posted about making us non-dot, said you'd have more later. Well, where is it? Or were you just stirring the pot? No one as yet has said when this will take place, if it's national or up to each state. Instead of taking shots how about some solid info?
I've seen non dot postings in California.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It's both self-explanatory and obvious. The temporary pay hike has already been announced for stations that have severe employee shortages and the non-DOT deal is also underway. Try and keep-up.