Express Premium Pay Elimination - What You Need to Know

whenIgetthere

To be specific, route changes foreced a W900 onto my route which I used to run in a W700. Couldn't fit the freight in the 700, so instead many of my P2 packages behind for the PM side, they moved a 900 to my route, and my 700 went to that route. But being Express, we're just useless anyways, right?

bbsam

Staff member
To be specific, route changes foreced a W900 onto my route which I used to run in a W700. Couldn't fit the freight in the 700, so instead many of my P2 packages behind for the PM side, they moved a 900 to my route, and my 700 went to that route. But being Express, we're just useless anyways, right?
I wouldn't say you are useless. You just have a higher opinion of yourself than is justified. It's not rocket science, and it's not something that Ground drivers couldn't learn to do with route tweaking.

XFILED

I was thinking 15 per min 4 hours - thanks for the clarification. Still a hell of a lot better than most only getting their unpaid break - and that is as long as they don't burn commit time or PU times....

A lot of the guys i dont think take them or are able to take them even though they are supposed to......Mgmt turns a blind eye because they are paid Breaks...Every now and then you will see a message saying every one needs to take their 28/28's...

I got called into the Sr. Mgrs office a few years ago because i missed starting my lunch within 5:30...Somehow she started telling me it was the law and crap like that and i asked why then do they not care when people dont get their paid breaks in...She told me it wasn't the law and that they were optional so i dropped a copy of the law on her desk that i always carry pertaining to lunches and breaks...She read it and saw the labor codes and said she was gonna call Legal or something..Sure enough 2 days later a message popped up on our powerpads saying every one has to take their 28/29's...

So i can see another Lawsuit popping up in the near future about this issue..

SmithBarney

Interestingly people are blind to some changes, like when split went from 2 hours to
1.5 most of the people in my station didn't know about it.
It was done to boost productivity(ie FedEx Numbers) SPH goes up if you are still out
for the same amount of time/stops, but take that extra 30 min.. But the only time a split is
beneficial to a driver is if he/she manages to finish around 8 hours, otherwise OT pays better than any extra the split brings.

Now about a year ago they said it's "OK" to take a 30 minute break.. It benefits FedEx
because for every 16 drivers that partakes in a 30 minute break shaves a total of 8 hours
off the on road time, that = one less FT(or two less PT) driver they have to pay. Drivers
thought "great now I can get home 30min early..." no such luck FedEx ended up absorbing
routes and and loading up all those drivers with more work, again saving FedEx money by
not having additional drivers on the road. Shifting many to 4x10 routes with virtually no OT.
Now some of those guys couldn't get a 1hr break if they tried, and most have a hard time getting a 30 minute break before 5PM...

I'm all for a company trying to save $$, but not at the expense of their "front line" employees
There are tons of ways the company could save money.
-For example instead of contracting out to wash the trucks(smaller stations, not sure what larger stations do) get a fleet wash card for the local wash place on the corner.
-I ran into one of the contractors installing the ROADS stuff one day, he gave me some figure for the rental and hotel allowance... it was out of this world, he said he'd pocket the difference,
-We blow through about 3 cases of paper a week, mostly for reports and crap that gets thrown away, we don't even recycle the paper...(county has free paper recycling, wouldn't cost FedEx a dime. Instead our dumpster goes to the landfill
-Lights that stay on in vacant STA all day(and sometimes all night) when they only need be on during the sort cycles.
-instead of letting "vending" contractors put machines in for Free(at least at all my STA they got it for free) FedEx should put their own in
at discounted rates, and they'd even make a bit of money perhaps...

That is just a short list.

Soon FedEx will get what it wants, McDonald's Wage Labor.. only problem is they are going to get McDonald's Quality Labor...

revolt

Since I CANNOT post a photo on this site, I will have to hand type this, so excuse the typos.
This is a typed out copy of a memo that showed up in my mail box at my station after I talked to some mechanics and some other drivers from other stations that have talked to their mechanics. I think that everything in here is really true.

.....Snipped the talking points......

These are my words now: As you can tell the mechanics are going to keep their shift pays. Any excuses that management trys to tell you about the computers not being able to meet with what the state of California has put out is a complete lie. I would urge each of you to find some time to ask your mechanic about this memo, don't trust me on this...read the real thing for yourself if you are on good terms with your mechanics it should not be a problem for you.

Was there any type of official signature on this manager talking points memo? I'm trying to confirm all this talk about maintenance people keeping their pay premiums. I talked to one of the vehicle mechanics when I got off my route last night about it. At our ramp there is only one person in vehicle maintenance who was hired before the 2003 date making him eligible for the premium. That person works days and didn't get the premium pay anyway.

Every RTD I've talked to about the premiums going away is really pissed. I've even heard grumblings from the Kool-Aid drinkers who always see things through the rosey purple prism.

I need help confirming the validity of the maintenance shift pay premium thing. Anyone?????