Express: truck repair issue

Purplepackage

I like when the truck actually has something wrong with it but the mechanic sends it back and says "cannot duplicate problem"

And also my other peeve is someone's truck breaks, so they pull it the first thing they do is go to the manager and say I need a sprinter I can't use a rental or van, so what do they do they pull someone's working truck from them and make them use a van

SmithBarney

The Merceded Sprinters A/C have a historically horrible A/C blower motor, they wear out in 50/100k. If it's the blower keep writing it up... low coolant they don't care about.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The Merceded Sprinters A/C have a historically horrible A/C blower motor, they wear out in 50/100k. If it's the blower keep writing it up... low coolant they don't care about.

The Sprinters have a history of nearly everything falling apart. Doors, transmissions, you name it. And we continue to buy them, because our leaders are morons. UPS bought a few, saw that they were crap, and didn't buy any more.

Sigh.

STFXG

It's not the blower motor, those last a long time. It's the blower motor resistor. It's cheap and easy to replace, but goes out often.

SmithBarney

It's not the blower motor, those last a long time. It's the blower motor resistor. It's cheap and easy to replace, but goes out often.
Yes resistors are weak, but the newer Mercedes 2013+ blowers die(not the resistor) we had 8 of 20 go out so far... the brushes on the motor wear too fast.

STFXG

Yes resistors are weak, but the newer Mercedes 2013+ blowers die(not the resistor) we had 8 of 20 go out so far... the brushes on the motor wear too fast.
Yeah I haven't dealt with any of the 4 cylinders... Done with sprinters. Spent nearly 8k replacing emissions garbage on one last year. Why spend almost 50k on a sprinter when a promaster or transit are mid 30's?

TeamLift

Not a safety issue. Open windows and drive.

Safety issue if he passes out from the heat, typical contractor comment, as long as they don't have to drive it, not only does my sprinter not have air, I can't turn the heat off, temp control doesn't work and its stuck on heat, does contractor care, hell no, his truck blows cold, that's all he cares about. I close the vents but it blows out the defroster even with the fan off, nice. He wouldn't even back out of his garage without the air on, but he expects me to drive over 200 miles a day and do this job like that. Well, he lost a driver cause I found a new gig. I know I blast FedEx and they deserve it, but some times I think the contractors are worse than the company itself, and that's saying something.

bbsam

Staff member
Safety issue if he passes out from the heat, typical contractor comment, as long as they don't have to drive it, not only does my sprinter not have air, I can't turn the heat off, temp control doesn't work and its stuck on heat, does contractor care, hell no, his truck blows cold, that's all he cares about. I close the vents but it blows out the defroster even with the fan off, nice. He wouldn't even back out of his garage without the air on, but he expects me to drive over 200 miles a day and do this job like that. Well, he lost a driver cause I found a new gig. I know I blast FedEx and they deserve it, but some times I think the contractors are worse than the company itself, and that's saying something.
While at UPS, we never had AC.

MAKAVELI

No. Team is. I'm saying he's trying to stretch and make a comfort issue into a safety issue. Doesn't matter though. If it wasn't AC I'm sure he'd find something else.
It would be interesting to know what osha would have to say about AC in hot weather climates. My point is even if it wasn't a safety issue, it would be easier to deal with for $100k+.;)

OUMick

It would be interesting to know what osha would have to say about AC in hot weather climates. My point is even if it wasn't a safety issue, it would be easier to deal with for $100k+.;)

Oh my I remember all the stories of the massive wrecks caused by cars with no a/c. Oh wait. No I don't.

bbsam

Staff member
I know DOT says nothing about it. Our summers routinely hit high 99's. Never seen an OSHA or DOT issue arise for lack of AC at UPS or X.