Extra contract agreements

PobreCarlos

In what way are you contributing to this thread?

Why would someone as anti-union as you are spend so much time in the "union issues" section of this forum?

Not to make TOO fine a point of it, but isn't the title of the section self-explanatory in that way? After all, the title is "UPS UNION ISSUES", not "Internal Issues Within The Teamsters Union". Rather, it revolves around the relationship of UPS and the union (one might note as well, that it's not just the TEAMSTERS Union that could be the subject of the topic; their are other unions - both here and abroad - that UPS deals with). Such issues affect not just those who are union members, but everyone who has to deal with them. In fact, where else would one EXPECT an "anti-union" individual (and I'm not saying that's the case here) to post his thoughts? Or, put another way, why should one who SUPPORTS unions, and therefore shouldn't have much in the way of "issues" with the union, want to post in this section. After all, this is for UPS/Union ISSUES.

Just thought I'd add a different perspective.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am trying to bring a sense of reality to this thread. Many of you have a sense of entitlement that simply does not exist. Some of you make a battle out of the slightest things. If you are asked to sign a form which deals with your job you should sign it without argument or discussion. Signing it or not signing it does nothing to change the fact that you will be expected to comply with the directives contained therein.

I do my job, keep my mouth shut and go home. Most of my co-workers do the same. Perhaps some of you should do the same. Dave.

Dave,

How many times have you been involved in someone being disciplined? You only know your little chunk of reality. Those of us that have the title of Steward know an entirely different reality than you. If you have found a good way to get thru the hell at UPS that works for you then congratulations. But from the reality I deal with daily, I believe you are in the minority. I also believe that one day you Will be awakened to the reality that most of us see. I hope not, but I have seen it happen more often than not.

The advise I give on here is based on my personal experience. I personally have seen the company pull out a signed "certification" when issuing discipline and using it as the first step. In other words, you signed this certification so you knew what your doing was wrong, so now your getting a warning letter because this was your verbal warning. Now you have a warning letter for methods in your file, any thing you do for the next 9 months that the company calls a method violation goes to a pending suspension, then anything for the next nine months is a pending termination.

If you signed every certification the company handed out, you would have about 200 of them in your file. I assure you if they look hard enough, they will find something you did wrong. No one is perfect, so why give them any more ammunition than necessary.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am no angel and I am also sure that if they looked hard enough they could find something that I did wrong. One example would be pickup compliance. They want 80% as a center but know full well that with ever changing dispatches the only way to get this is to cheat. I cheat on this as do most of my co-workers. It is not worth the hassle, the shippers only care that their packages are picked up at the same or near the same time every day and I stay off the radar. I share your hope that my last 7 years are spent incident free.

PobreCarlos

menotyou;

No, YOU'VE "never cheated", have ya'? [smile]

With that in mind, I have to ask.....are we talking about the same person who claimed (in a very DECLARATIVE fashion)....

"You did not respond to the comments Mr. Hounsell made."

...but then a very short time later admitted....

"I am not spending my day going through your argument with Crowbar to see if you countered every point Mr. Hounsell made."

...???

Sorry "menot", but as far as I can tell, you "cheated" - and lied - within minutes of making my electronic "acquaintance". Based on that sort of track record, one can't help but think that you've probably done little else BESIDE "cheat" in your life. You are, after all, who you are.

menotyou

bella amicizia
menotyou;

No, YOU'VE "never cheated", have ya'? [smile]

With that in mind, I have to ask.....are we talking about the same person who claimed (in a very DECLARATIVE fashion)....

"You did not respond to the comments Mr. Hounsell made."

...but then a very short time later admitted....

"I am not spending my day going through your argument with Crowbar to see if you countered every point Mr. Hounsell made."

...???

Sorry "menot", but as far as I can tell, you "cheated" - and lied - within minutes of making my electronic "acquaintance". Based on that sort of track record, one can't help but think that you've probably done little else BESIDE "cheat" in your life. You are, after all, who you are.
:p. :rofl:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am no angel and I am also sure that if they looked hard enough they could find something that I did wrong. One example would be pickup compliance. They want 80% as a center but know full well that with ever changing dispatches the only way to get this is to cheat. I cheat on this as do most of my co-workers. It is not worth the hassle, the shippers only care that their packages are picked up at the same or near the same time every day and I stay off the radar. I share your hope that my last 7 years are spent incident free.

Dave,
This is exactly the kind of "cheating" that people get fired for.

Let me tell you a little story.

We had a guy, ran 2-3hrs bonus daily, management loved him, customers loved him. Never had any complaints, concerns or discipline. One day center manager goes looking for him to do an observation. Looks up his pickup times to go find him and heads out. Sits in front of one of the pickups he has completed at 1500 the prior day for an hour and never sees him. He calls the center to find out where the driver is and center tells him he completed the pickup at the time when the center manager was sitting there. Next day center manager goes over the telematics report and it shows the driver in another town 25 minutes away delivering resis while he stop completed the pickup where the center manager was sitting. Turns out the driver was making the pickup early because he was finished in that particular town and would have to make the 25 minute drive each way to be within the compliance window. Long story short, falsification of records, intent to defraud, walked out the door.

I got him back to work with a 2 day suspension, but I gotta tell ya, if not for the upcoming peak season and the already short staff, he would not have been so lucky.

I have never seen anyone get into trouble for not making pickup compliance. Sure the boss might talk to you, even ask if they can change the times in the board to make it easier to hit the mark, but they know certain times it is not possible to be within 80% and therefore know discipline is not possible/warranted.