Extra Disability Insurance?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Mikey123, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Mikey123

Mikey123 New Member

Does anyone know if you can get extra disability insurance? I am a FT driver part of the Oregon/West contract. I just found out disability (off the job) only pays $277 a week! That's nothing. In Cali it was way more and the state pays it. I asked my rep at work and he didn't know the answer, Thanks guys.
  2. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

You can get Aflac
  3. 8 Hour Day

8 Hour Day Active Member

In my area, a couple of years ago, it was under $300... pathetic. This is a lesson learned the hard way about running/gunning or doing anything else that could end in you getting injured.

Never ever worth it.
  4. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

AFLAC is what I have.
  5. tireknocker

tireknocker Member

To collect dis/insurance you can elect to collect after 3 months or 6 months. The earlier you collect the more it cost and your age and what you do (driver for UPS) will cost more also.
  6. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

Mine pays after day 1 of being off....the one I used to have with State Farm paid after 30 days off work.
  7. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

How much a month you folks paying?
  8. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Curious as to why you'd pay exorbitantly high premiums for the gap between your ST and your current wages when a 6 month emergency fund (turns into 9 months with the ST payments) would be just as good.

Short version, why not self insure with a savings account?
  9. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

If you run and gun and get hurt on the job then it's workmans comp. Disability is off the job injuries.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  10. rod

rod retired and happy

work comp is tax free--disability isn't
  11. 8 Hour Day

8 Hour Day Active Member

Right... The disability was what was crap. Comp was something like 80% of 40 hours. Can't remember exactly.
  12. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

Not necessarily. If you self pay the premiums then any benefits received are tax free. If your employer pays the premiums then the benefits are taxable.
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I was just off for four weeks following surgery for a non-work related illness. I scheduled vacation in anticipation of the time off. I applied and was approved for STD----$300/week (less taxes) after a 1 week waiting period. $780 (less taxes) for 4 weeks just does not cut it. I had Combined and did receive a check for $200 for the surgery but since I did not have income protector I did not receive any additional compensation.

During that time off I met with my Edward Jones adviser and we mutually agreed that the $100 per month that I was spending for my Combined policies was simply not worth it. I have since cancelled those policies.
  14. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute...
    In past posts I thought you said you had income protection?
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

I thought for sure that I did but when I recently updated my policies I guess I didn't renew the income protector.
  16. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

He thinks he only gets 5 weeks of vacation also. LOL!
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

That has been corrected.
  18. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

Good for you. I hope this gets your ego somewhat in check. I doubt it, but maybe.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List