Extra Disability Insurance?

Mikey123

Does anyone know if you can get extra disability insurance? I am a FT driver part of the Oregon/West contract. I just found out disability (off the job) only pays $277 a week! That's nothing. In Cali it was way more and the state pays it. I asked my rep at work and he didn't know the answer, Thanks guys.

8 Hour Day

In my area, a couple of years ago, it was under $300... pathetic. This is a lesson learned the hard way about running/gunning or doing anything else that could end in you getting injured.

Never ever worth it.

tireknocker

To collect dis/insurance you can elect to collect after 3 months or 6 months. The earlier you collect the more it cost and your age and what you do (driver for UPS) will cost more also.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Curious as to why you'd pay exorbitantly high premiums for the gap between your ST and your current wages when a 6 month emergency fund (turns into 9 months with the ST payments) would be just as good.

Short version, why not self insure with a savings account?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In my area, a couple of years ago, it was under $300... pathetic. This is a lesson learned the hard way about running/gunning or doing anything else that could end in you getting injured.

Never ever worth it.
If you run and gun and get hurt on the job then it's workmans comp. Disability is off the job injuries.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was just off for four weeks following surgery for a non-work related illness. I scheduled vacation in anticipation of the time off. I applied and was approved for STD----$300/week (less taxes) after a 1 week waiting period. $780 (less taxes) for 4 weeks just does not cut it. I had Combined and did receive a check for $200 for the surgery but since I did not have income protector I did not receive any additional compensation.

During that time off I met with my Edward Jones adviser and we mutually agreed that the $100 per month that I was spending for my Combined policies was simply not worth it. I have since cancelled those policies.