Extra work on Saturday

PT Car Washer

Lost a lot air drivers over the years for being forced to work certain Holidays Want to pick and choose when they will or will not work. I have been taking the week of Thanksgiving off for vacation the last several years. It is certainly your choice.

phoneman

I do not want to argue the details for example easy work or you have a job why not work. Which is true. I want to know from your experience and knowledge how this slips thru the contract. As stated in the previous post I will do my job, being forced because they can or will not do theirs is wrong. I want them to do their job. I do not think in my heart ill will. when they do not do their job is it ill will? Is it compassionate to know that I need off and do nothing because you can get away with it? Is UPS best served by someone operating in this state of attitude? How about our customers are they being served this way too by doing anything they want because they can get away with it? Is this is a state of mind that is supported by higher level regional managers? Are they reading this too?

opie

Thing is that if you continue to show up on Saturday. They may argue that since you been coming in every Saturday, that you have set a precedent, and will have to keep coming in.

browniehound

Only at UPS do people bitch about doing anything extra. Ask any other working class stiff about a scenario in which a UPS driver is going to file a grievance because he doesn't want to work 5 hours on a Saturday at $48.39/hour and he is going to faint in disbelief.

This is the real world and most people in it that only have a HS diploma and no vocational skills do NOT make $48.39/hour on a Saturday. Most of these people are working Saturdays at Walmart for $11.50/hour just to get a few extras for their family.

Just think about this before your :censored2: goes crying to the union that you're forced to work 5 hours on a Saturday. Do you think that would fly in corporate America? No. People do as they are told and if they don't you're talking to the unemployment operator. How did we become such a bunch wuss-bags when it comes to working a few extra hours?

Last edited by a moderator:

opie

I wouldn't want to do it because of being forced to work the day after Thanksgiving(at straight time), NYE(at straight time), ad most importantly Christmas Eve. Being forced to work Christmas Eve alone would make me not want to be an air driver.

I have never worked a holiday since I've became a Saturday driver. I have worked Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, but that was because it was on a Saturday. When they have asked me to drive for the day after Thanksgiving, or New Year's Eve, I simply tell them I can't. Or I just schedule my vacations for those weeks. I don't drive during the week, and don't work the AM shift, so it's easier to get out working a holiday.

opie

Our PT Air Driver rate is $24.74 without including the new raise we have not received. Central Region.
We will be retroactively paid 70 cents an hour for all time worked from August 1st, 2013. So technically we already have the raise, we just won't see a dime until everything is ratified.

phoneman

Only at UPS do people bitch about doing anything extra. Ask any other working class stiff about a scenario in which a UPS driver is going to file a grievance because he doesn't want to work 5 hours on a Saturday at $48.39/hour and he is going to faint in disbelief.

This is the real world and most people in it that only have a HS diploma and no vocational skills do NOT make $48.39/hour on a Saturday. Most of these people are working Saturdays at Walmart for $11.50/hour just to get a few extras for their family.

Just think about this before goes crying to the union that you're forced to work 5 hours on a Saturday. Do you think that would fly in corporate America? No. People do as they are told and if they don't you're talking to the unemployment operator. How did we become such a bunch wuss-bags when it comes to working a few extra hours?

I am not disenfranchised by your reply in either way. I indicated in the previous post that I choose not to argue the details similar to your post here. This type of reply is not offering and information that will help and may cause some to question me or UPS. There is a rant section here for you to let loose on please go there and let loose. Otherwise if you have experience or information to contribute please do.

browniehound

I am not disenfranchised by your reply in either way. I indicated in the previous post that I choose not to argue the details similar to your post here. This type of reply is not offering and information that will help and may cause some to question me or UPS. There is a rant section here for you to let loose on please go there and let loose. Otherwise if you have experience or information to contribute please do.

No rant. I have a contribution and a suggestion? Why don't you go to work and do your job? If you don't want to do it I know about 21 million Americans that would and would for 1/3 the money your making. What would your Depression-era born grandfather say about your lack of work ethic? He would say "If the company calls you, go my son. When I was 12 I had to stand in line for a bowl of soup and had to beg some rich guy to shine his shoes for 10 cents so I could by the soup and maybe an apple for my little brother"

browniehound

Where do you get $48.39 an hour from? Saturday air pays $24.74 an hour. Unless you worked over 40 hours that week. Read Art. 40.
Ok, so you get straight time, my bad. Still, nobody else is going to pay you $24.74 an hour to drive around and deliver cardboard. You can go to Mcdonalds and make $7.25 an hour and stand around popping your zits and flipping burgers while no decent woman would ever give you a coffee date.

PT Car Washer

I am the only pt air driver and the only one that has the airport security clearance badge. There are other people that deliver air in the morning but the seniority list does not list them as air drivers. The Saturday drivers at our center are all cover drivers except for me and a occasional FT senor driver that bid for the Saturday extra work on the sign up sheet. If I do have seniority over any cover driver they should force them to run the shuttle. This is specific from a smaller center to another to pick up their air pickups and take them to a hub center scanned and put on a trailer.
Why are the other people delivering air in the morning not listed as being air drivers? Are they PT also? Why are they using cover drivers instead of FT drivers. If we do not have enough PT or Art 22.3 Air Drivers they will offer the work to FT by seniority. Sounds like your management team are making up their own rules.

browniehound

This type of reply is not offering and information that will help and may cause some to question me or UPS. .

This is intended to help your cause and should solve all your problems : Just show up to work on the day you are "forced" to work and do your job. If not, book off and be done with it. Its as simple as that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is intended to help your cause and should solve all your problems : Just show up to work on the day you are "forced" to work and do your job. If not, book off and be done with it. Its as simple as that.
If it was that simple there would be even less jobs at ups because they would work is all as many hours and days as possible.

The OP has a m-friend work schedule and we have a contract that says extra work is offered top down and forced bottom up. They can't force him if he's not bottom. He has every right to fight it if he wants.

I hate my hours and many other things about this job. Two things make it worth it. I get every weekend off and it pays good. I never did Saturday air because my family lives 4 hours away and working preload pretty much have me a 3 day weekend anytime I wanted to visit. Family was more important.

PT Car Washer

Art 40 says the company can force all PT air drivers to work Saturdays. I agree he should fight it as it sounds like there are a few other things going on here. Loved working preload and getting off about 8:00 Friday morning.

browniehound

. Family was more important.
Family is more important. Its why I go to work every time I'm scheduled. So I can feed the family that is more important than UPS. Its a catch 22 because without my job at UPS I would have no family to be more important than UPS and the OT and extra work UPS throws my way helps to insure that my children can go to college and not have hump packages for a living. I'm old and finished, its all about the kids now.