Failed a non dot drug test

mark ryenh

In may I failed a drug test (THC positive) as a home delivery driver 8 months accident free. It was just a random non dot drug test. As a result I was let go. I recently got a job at DHL where I failed a pee test but to my surprise was allowed by the company to retest AFTER my positive. Since then I got cleaned up and passed it legitimately and am working there as a driver.

With that in mind my question is my old boss (Fedex) wants be back but we are both under the impression that failing any drug test results in a lifetime company blacklist? This was my impression until I talked to the hub manager at DHL who allowed me to retest AFTER a positive.

Is there any chance that either my old fedex contractor (owns 15 routes worked there 10 years) could pull some strings and get me a retest? I am over 30 days clean so I will pass any drug tests im giving in teh future. I really enjoyed the job so I am willing to exhaust all possibilities to get my job back.

Im not looking for life lessons on smoking just looking for awnsers as if its at all possible to reapply as a fresh home delivery driver and pass through their system. Again my boss isnt sure on who to ask about this wether its up to the hub managers or corporate and doesnt want to pursue it unless theres a decent chance they will rehire me. Again this was a NON DOT random drug test from concentra.

Last edited:

Artee

If you haven't given up on the weed, why bother. You will just get popped again. I work with many people who used to smoke weed before FDX started the random drug testing. They realized the choice was keep getting high or stay employed. They dropped the drugs. Some say they will start smoking again when they retire, but not worth losing a job right now. If you can't stay clean you are just wasting everyone's time including yours just trying to get back in.

mark ryenh

Can someone explain why? If DHL allows retests why wouln't fedex. Both are non dot and it seems like most of the responses on this website are from Salty anti pot employees again i'm fine with there being no chance of a rehire but I want to know how your getting your information. Again i'm getting info from hub managers so as much as you want me to accept your simple no and move on I'm going to need more info as to why you think they wouldn't rehire/test but DHL will as they follow the same strict policies.

The thing is I was throughly shocked when I was told even after a fail that it was up to corporate on whether they will give you another one or not as its not a DOT fail.

mark ryenh

You're toast. Consider it a lesson learned. Good luck at DHL.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Why am I toast but at DHL i'm not? Please exlpain the difference in their hiring/leanency? Everything was the same in my opinion but I was more liked my the managers at Fedex so I felt if DHL would give me 2x pre employment why wouldnt fedex at least consider a retest of a decent employee

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You screwed up And far as FedEx is concerned you're a pot head. End of story. No one owes you any more explanation than that.

Just because DHL gave you another shot doesn't mean every company in the world has to. Learn from
This and move on

mark ryenh

Okay I see this is getting NOWHERE. As this is a forum and your commenting on my post asking for an explanation beyond NO you do owe me an explanation holy :censored2:.....I cant believe every single one of you anti drug idiots are completly ignoring the text wall ive typed by just saying

No your a pothead move on.... give me a :censored2:ing reason WHY they wont. Dont just say no. What protocols are different at these companies that allows DHL for retests at their discression but fedex wont....you guys are thicker than a brick wall.

I could not be more dissapointed at how you guys handle questions on this forum you all seem like republican conservative pricks and give NO constructive information. Feel free to take your anger out on another topic i'm looking for intelligent information here beyond a :censored2:ing NO

dezguy

Why am I toast but at DHL i'm not? Please exlpain the difference in their hiring/leanency? Everything was the same in my opinion but I was more liked my the managers at Fedex so I felt if DHL would give me 2x pre employment why wouldnt fedex at least consider a retest of a decent employee

Different company's, different policies. Not all corporations are run the same way. As funny as it may sound to most of us, maybe FedEx just has a higher standard of employment.

Okay I see this is getting NOWHERE. As this is a forum and your commenting on my post asking for an explanation beyond NO you do owe me an explanation holy :censored2:.....I cant believe every single one of you anti drug idiots are completly ignoring the text wall ive typed by just saying

No your a pothead move on.... give me a :censored2:ing reason WHY they wont. Dont just say no. What protocols are different at these companies that allows DHL for retests at their discression but fedex wont....you guys are thicker than a brick wall.

I could not be more dissapointed at how you guys handle questions on this forum you all seem like republican conservative pricks and give NO constructive information. Feel free to take your anger out on another topic i'm looking for intelligent information here beyond a :censored2:ing NO
Nope

Brownslave688

Lol I believe pot should be legal but just because I think it should be doesn't mean you have a right to go smoke it and not face the consequences.

You sir need to grow up. Realize this world doesn't owe you :censored2: and ask yourself what can I do to better myself.

mark ryenh

So we have trolls and salty people 1 person offered a decent explanation that they have a higher standard of employment which I agree with but again you guys all need to take a look at your selvs and why your on this forum.....bunch of miserable bastards

Brownslave688

Explanation: company policy. End of story.

If you ask why again I'm going to assume you're a toddler that knows how to type.

dezguy

So we have trolls and salty people 1 person offered a decent explanation that they have a higher standard of employment which I agree with but again you guys all need to take a look at your selvs and why your on this forum.....bunch of miserable bastards

So you're going to complain about people complaining? Seems a bit redundant...

vantexan

I may be wrong, but it seems you want us to give you some kind of secret insider info on how to circumvent FedEx policy and get you hired. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. They are two different companies so can't comment on DHL. But FedEx to my knowledge doesn't hire anyone with a criminal history(not that you are one) or anyone who fails an initial drug screen. The local contractor may like you very much but it's not his call nor will he go to bat for you with higher ups. It's a waste of time. If I had to guess, the corporate view is the law of averages suggests many who committed crimes in the past or who use drugs will continue to do so(not that you would). FedEx is self insured, and could be liable for serious money if they knowingly hired a felon who then stole a very valuable shipment, or more likely stole quite a few things before getting caught. Or hired someone who failed a drug screen and that person got into an accident while driving under the influence. It doesn't help you, and it's a shame you can't get a second chance. I've known very good employees who got 3 warning letters in a year's time and were let go. They were allowed to appeal(not an option for a non-employee) and still told they were no longer welcome. It's one of the paradoxes of this company that is really frustrating. They expect employees to walk a fine line and always be honest with them. I heard a director say one time that "if we can't trust you, we won't keep you." But MOST of the mgrs I've worked with or for were anything but honest, conniving to get what they wanted with the company at times backing them up and sweeping the situation under the rug. Your mileage would've varied most likely working for a Ground contractor, just trying to give you some insight into this corporation that looks good from the outside, but all isn't as it seems and you may be better off not working for them.

Last edited:

STFXG

Here's the facts. There's only a couple people on the board that know the real answer. You're talking to a bunch of express and ups people. And I don't appreciate being called dense. I am also not bitter or disgruntled. Good luck getting the answer from one of the other 1 or 2 IC/ISP guys. Carry on with your rant stoner.

Sent using BrownCafe App

White Line

I may be wrong but as far as I knew every random drug/alcohol screen is DOT, I don't understand the whole non DOT thing, is this something your contractor did on his own, the reason I ask is because every random that me and my drivers are given are ordered by FedEx and not by myself and are always subject to DOT regs, as far as I knew if you had a driving job regardless if its driving a semi, straight truck or package car and it runs under a DOT number then every drug/alcohol test wether it's pre employment, random or suspicion it's going to be a DOT one, like I said that's the way I understand it but I may be wrong.