Failed business model.

TUT

I had to deal with an irate customer today. The receptionist who usually signs for the deliveries was out, so her boss signed. He told me "you guys at Fedex are so friend---ed up, one of your drivers just left here 30 minutes ago". I said it must've been ground, a differet division/company. He said it was Express and showed me the package, it was an FO delivery. I tried to explain that the FO deliveries leave the building before any of the rest of us start the sort, but he said he wanted all his deliveries at the SAME TIME! I tried, but couldn't get thru to him so I directed hom to the 800 number. He couldn't understand how we can deliver SOS with P1, but not FO!! I sure hope his receptionist is back Monday!

Tell him for that extra $100+ dollars they paid for FO, Fedex will stop there all day long, all day long. Tell him his people need to watch what service they order because it's costing his company real jack and if Fedex delivered all their packages at the same time, then why would you ever buy earlier service? Sounds like his company is ****ed up much more, paying for things they don't need.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I had to deal with an irate customer today. The receptionist who usually signs for the deliveries was out, so her boss signed. He told me "you guys at Fedex are so friend---ed up, one of your drivers just left here 30 minutes ago". I said it must've been ground, a differet division/company. He said it was Express and showed me the package, it was an FO delivery. I tried to explain that the FO deliveries leave the building before any of the rest of us start the sort, but he said he wanted all his deliveries at the SAME TIME! I tried, but couldn't get thru to him so I directed hom to the 800 number. He couldn't understand how we can deliver SOS with P1, but not FO!! I sure hope his receptionist is back Monday!
He sounds like someone looking for a fight but I suppose he at least has FedEx figured out to an extent. Give him Fred's email address ([email protected]) and tell him not to say where he got it from then let those two have a go at it.

DorkHead

i'm sure UPS operates the same way; they need to get airs off first then ground stuff later... some drivers will lump them together if they can find it in their bricked-out package vehicles, but lately, they'll just make 2 trips in the same day to the same business or residential address (happened to my resi address one time)

You`re right about this. It happens to me about three times a week but I always tell the customer when I will be back and it`s usually within 45 minutes to an hour.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is one stop at that point. Unless you scan and stop complete the packages individually. If its a commercial stop than the customer will have to sign twice.

I'm confused---why would it be one stop if you get rid of them all at the same time yet be two stops if you deliver them within an hour of each other? Wouldn't that be considered padding stops? Also, why wouldn't you sheet the NDA, prerecord, sheet the rest of the stop, prerecord, MLA, complete delivery, two stops? You wouldn't because to do so would be padding stops and falsification of records, much the same as delivering the air and coming back 1/2 hour later to deliver the ground and not sheeting the second stop as a duplicate stop.

HomeDelivery

can't be padding stops in your division... if the driver can get to the ground packages & he's already at the same address, why not lump it together into one stop? it only becomes 2 different stops when you are forced to get rid of the air & other priority stops 1st... & can find the ground packages before the time deadline

sorry i brought ups-procedures into this thread, but the point i made is that you do similar things that Express does... prioritizing air stops first, then looping back to ground deliveries

I'm confused---why would it be one stop if you get rid of them all at the same time yet be two stops if you deliver them within an hour of each other? Wouldn't that be considered padding stops? Also, why wouldn't you sheet the NDA, prerecord, sheet the rest of the stop, prerecord, MLA, complete delivery, two stops? You wouldn't because to do so would be padding stops and falsification of records, much the same as delivering the air and coming back 1/2 hour later to deliver the ground and not sheeting the second stop as a duplicate stop.

The air/early AM's and regular ground & everything else are separate time windows. If I were scanning both groups (Air & Ground) as separate stops but back to back sequence wise than yes it is padding stops. If I have a next day air envelope for a company that is required by 10:30AM and there is ground for the same address but I cannot get to it at the same time because it is buried and I come back 1/2 hour later than it is a second stop. Air must be sheeted by 10:30AM. If I were to prerecord an air stop, deliver it and reopen and stop complete it after 1030 with the other packages it is then considered late. The air is treated as a completely separate delivery service and there have been speeches in the morning about delivering ground before all the air is off the truck if you miss that 1030AM window.

Borderline 9.5

There are a couple reasons why it would not be padding stops or falsifying like you seem to mention all the time. He may have a lot of air and wants to make sure it's delivered before the ground or he may not be able to get to the ground at the time of the air delivery. He could also be at this air stop at 10:20 with another air stop 5 minutes away. Would you at that time delivery the ground or go back? I would want to make sure my air is delivered on time, getting an extra stop is not my concern.

Also, why wouldn't you sheet the NDA, prerecord, sheet the rest of the stop, prerecord, MLA, complete delivery, two stops? What is MLA?

DorkHead

When you go back is it a separate or duplicate stop?

Just signed in and read your question. I record the return deliveries as a duplicate stop. I really don`t care to record it as an additional stop. Returning to a business or residential customer to complete a delivery is a decision I make based on time constraints.
Now if late air or ground were to be shuttled out to me that was not originally in my load, then it would be recorded as an additional stop.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are a couple reasons why it would not be padding stops or falsifying like you seem to mention all the time. He may have a lot of air and wants to make sure it's delivered before the ground or he may not be able to get to the ground at the time of the air delivery. He could also be at this air stop at 10:20 with another air stop 5 minutes away. Would you at that time delivery the ground or go back? I would want to make sure my air is delivered on time, getting an extra stop is not my concern.

Also, why wouldn't you sheet the NDA, prerecord, sheet the rest of the stop, prerecord, MLA, complete delivery, two stops? What is MLA?

Multiple left at.

menotyou

bella amicizia
can't be padding stops in your division... if the driver can get to the ground packages & he's already at the same address, why not lump it together into one stop? it only becomes 2 different stops when you are forced to get rid of the air & other priority stops 1st... & can find the ground packages before the time deadline

sorry i brought ups-procedures into this thread, but the point i made is that you do similar things that Express does... prioritizing air stops first, then looping back to ground deliveries
You can do anything you want on these threads. Think of them as living creatures, kinda like corporations are- ;-). If someone's point reminds you of something and you want to post and expound upon it, go for it.

bbsam

Staff member
Just signed in and read your question. I record the return deliveries as a duplicate stop. I really don`t care to record it as an additional stop. Returning to a business or residential customer to complete a delivery is a decision I make based on time constraints.
Now if late air or ground were to be shuttled out to me that was not originally in my load, then it would be recorded as an additional stop.
That is truly Brown-blooded. Why should it be a "duplicate stop"? If that is what it takes to get the job done, then that is what it takes. Seems like UPS almost penalizes for that. A stop is a stop and it takes just as long either way. I understand padding numbers, but it's ridiculous for companies with the tracking abilities they have to make blanket assumptions that one would be doing this.

SmithBarney

Well, at least the boss understands that FedEx is effed-up. That's a start.

But that example isn't friend'd up, FO comes off the plane first(or even perhaps another plane altogether)
The customer paid $45 extra dollars to get it early, so it gets a first class seat(gets off the plane first)

Hell most customers aren't even open yet for our FO drivers, and many don't understand why they are getting FO's
they usually say, well "it wasn't that important"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But that example isn't friend'd up, FO comes off the plane first(or even perhaps another plane altogether)
The customer paid $45 extra dollars to get it early, so it gets a first class seat(gets off the plane first)

Hell most customers aren't even open yet for our FO drivers, and many don't understand why they are getting FO's
they usually say, well "it wasn't that important"

I think a lot of customers mistakenly check the FO box on the "new and improved" airbill. Most customers I had when i was doing FO genuinely wanted the earlier service. I think the new bill has fooled quite a few customers into paying for FO they didn't want.