fair minimum wage

island1fox

If more people stayed in High School -respected teachers accepted learning-and choose career paths --from Doctors and Rocket scientist --to plumbers and electricians ---They would not take starter jobs off of students or the retired and expect to make a living wage --flipping burgers for thirty years !!!:chef:

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
theoretical crown millionaire

Not that Norwegians will be able to access or spend the money

annnd that's norway... not usa
That money is all held by the government so not in the individual people's hands. It will just mean that the country will be funded for programs in the future. And even if all Norwegians WERE millionaires, that is not everybody. There are many other people in the world.

Just a factoid for the reality challenged:

What’s Norway got that the rest of the world doesn’t? For one thing, a stunning per capita GDP of $57,000 a year. Norwegians have the second-highest level of satisfaction with their standards of living: 95% say they are satisfied with the freedom to choose the direction of their lives; an unparalleled 74% say other people can be trusted. It sure doesn’t hurt that the massive Norwegian welfare state is bankrolled by high taxes and big reserves of offshore oil and gas.

And:

Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Sweden are the world's happiest countries, according to the survey of 156 countries. Rwanda, Burundi, the Central African Republic, Benin and Togo -- all nations in Sub-Saharan Africa -- are the least satisfied with their lives, the report said.

The United States came in at number 17 in the world in terms of overall happiness, but it still lags behind Canada (6), Australia (10), Israel (11) the United Arab Emirates (14) and Mexico (16), according to the Earth Institute.

If it weren't for those jubilant Danes. Norway would have the title of 'Best Place On Earth' by a landslide. Of course, being healthy, happy, educated and wealthy isn't everything, but it's a start.

oldngray

nowhere special

What’s Norway got that the rest of the world doesn’t? For one thing, a stunning per capita GDP of $57,000 a year. Norwegians have the second-highest level of satisfaction with their standards of living: 95% say they are satisfied with the freedom to choose the direction of their lives; an unparalleled 74% say other people can be trusted. It sure doesn’t hurt that the massive Norwegian welfare state is bankrolled by high taxes and big reserves of offshore oil and gas.

And:

Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Sweden are the world's happiest countries, according to the survey of 156 countries. Rwanda, Burundi, the Central African Republic, Benin and Togo -- all nations in Sub-Saharan Africa -- are the least satisfied with their lives, the report said.

The United States came in at number 17 in the world in terms of overall happiness, but it still lags behind Canada (6), Australia (10), Israel (11) the United Arab Emirates (14) and Mexico (16), according to the Earth Institute.

If it weren't for those jubilant Danes. Norway would have the title of 'Best Place On Earth' by a landslide. Of course, being healthy, happy, educated and wealthy isn't everything, but it's a start.

And amazingly enough those are Scandinavians. Almost no blacks. Not that it matters but you did leave it out of your calculations. And again, if everyone in the world had a million dollars then nobody would be rich. You just confirmed my point by stating how they have a stunning per capita GDP. Which means they are richer than other countries - not everyone else is as wealthy as they are. Although I will admit you could throw money at those Sub-Saharan countries and they would still mess things up.

roadrunner2012

Troll
And amazingly enough those are Scandinavians. Almost no blacks. Not that it matters but you did leave it out of your calculations. And again, if everyone in the world had a million dollars then nobody would be rich. You just confirmed my point by stating how they have a stunning per capita GDP. Which means they are richer than other countries - not everyone else is as wealthy as they are. Although I will admit you could throw money at those Sub-Saharan countries and they would still mess things up.
At least you admit to being racist, better than most here who are in denial.

brett636

This is a blatant lie.

For a less cartoonish look, read this:
http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2013/11/12/wal-mart-pay-raise/

and this:
http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-employees-pay

and from Walmart's own site:
Today, Walmart employs more than 1.3 million U.S. associates at more than 4,700 stores and clubs nationwide. Every year, we promote about 160,000 people globally to jobs with more responsibility and higher pay. In the U.S., the average, full-time hourly wage is $12.81.

I personally find $12.81 an hour to be pretty respectable for the entry level positions that you are referring too. These aren't jobs meant for someone to raise a family on. These are entry level positions for low skilled workers who are trying to get a foot in the door at a solid company who will hopefully move up to better paying positions.

roadrunner2012

Troll
I personally find $12.81 an hour to be pretty respectable for the entry level positions that you are referring too. These aren't jobs meant for someone to raise a family on. These are entry level positions for low skilled workers who are trying to get a foot in the door at a solid company who will hopefully move up to better paying positions.
I agree, just pointing out the outright lies in beloved Moreluck's post.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

And:

Much of a person's (or nation's) happiness is based in their acceptance of social government indoctrination to accept what they have as fulfilling.

roadrunner2012

Troll
Much of a person's (or nation's) happiness is based in their acceptance of social government indoctrination to accept what they have as fulfilling.
Wow. That's not what most researchers say, but if that's true, you must be the unhappiest person in the world, besides wkmac.

roadrunner2012

Troll

I guess that I don't quite get your point on this post, would you care to expand? Do you have evidence to back up your hypothesis?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess that I don't quite get your point on this post, would you care to expand? Do you have evidence to back up your hypothesis?
It's called government schools and children's ideas of social norms, government intervention in our lives, individual freedoms, etc. are taught and stressed in schools and dissent and non-conformity to those values are highly criticized in those schools and therefore should be called indoctrination.
I am skeptical of values, history and most anything else taught in government run schools.

MAKAVELI

The majority of positions at Walmart do not start at $12.81 an hour. More like minimum wage.

rod

Retired 22 years
Back when I was in high school minimum wage was $1.25.
Gas was 35 cents a gallon at most. A NICE new car cost $2,500 to $3,500.
Now Federal minimum wage is what - like $7.25 an hour. Gas is 3-4 bucks a gallon and a NICE new car will run you 25 - 30 thousand.
If they raise it to 15 buck an hour the only possible outcome will be gas will be 8 -10 bucks a gallon and a NICE new car will cost 50 or 60 thousand.
The "ultra-rich" crowd aren't affected as usual because they control the prices and reap the profits.

I guess what I'm trying to say is its a losing battle----especially with the medium wage crowd shrinking every year. My advise---Invest in bullets.

roadrunner2012

Troll
It's called government schools and children's ideas of social norms, government intervention in our lives, individual freedoms, etc. are taught and stressed in schools and dissent and non-conformity to those values are highly criticized in those schools and therefore should be called indoctrination.

That's quite the sentence. I'll have to try to decipher it tomorrow.
I am skeptical of values, history and most anything else taught in government run schools.

As opposed to schools run on a private agenda, or no schools at all?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As opposed to schools run on a private agenda, or no schools at all?

I am skeptical of any institutional teachings or from any individual as well.
Every institution and individual has an agenda and motivation for teaching what they do.

I would accept Math if I can demonstrate it and verify it empirically.
English I accept because it really does not matter.
History I accept not at all unless I can verify ... especially if related to politics.