fair minimum wage

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Back when I was in high school minimum wage was $1.25.
Gas was 35 cents a gallon at most. A NICE new car cost $2,500 to $3,500.
Now Federal minimum wage is what - like $7.25 an hour. Gas is 3-4 bucks a gallon and a NICE new car will run you 25 - 30 thousand.
If they raise it to 15 buck an hour the only possible outcome will be gas will be 8 -10 bucks a gallon and a NICE new car will cost 50 or 60 thousand.
The "ultra-rich" crowd aren't affected as usual because they control the prices and reap the profits.

I guess what I'm trying to say is its a losing battle----especially with the medium wage crowd shrinking every year. My advise---Invest in bullets.
That $1.25 would be $9.31 today. Today's minimum wage is $7.25 that equals bout $15000/yr for a 40 hr week, 52 weeks a year. That's living at 133% of what is considered poverty level in the lower 48. Try living on $290/week and report back.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42973.pdf

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's why I worked 2 jobs and went to school and my wife worked too.
Once I went Full-time with UPS, I still worked on the side for many years.

People these days think they should be able to work an unskilled job and live like everyone else.
Guess what ... it was never like that.
It never bothered me if someone worked a minimum wage job and rode around on a bicycle and lived in a ramshackle house or trailer. That was their choice and besides, I was too busy working to notice.

island1fox

I will drop out of school , flip hamburgers as slow as I possibly can as long as I have the same house , car,iPad as everyone else. Makes sense !

M

MenInBrown

People are only going to get out of life what they want to put in it. I grew up poor. I remember the nights we had grilled cheese sandwich night or going to help my single mom clean the church for $40. ( which was her 3 rd job). It's called hard work and determination. Makes me appreciate everything I have today and keeps me striving to have more and have businesses on the side.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We practiced "soup & sandwich" mode whenever we needed to save for anything or pay a big bill. Young marrieds today want everything right now.

roadrunner2012

Troll
Once I went Full-time with UPS, I still worked on the side for many years.

Me, too. There were jobs back then.
People these days think they should be able to work an unskilled job and live like everyone else.
You're right again, these are extraordinary times. We have not seen a wealth gap like this since the Great Depression.

1_123125_2265681_2266033_100902_gd_part1_pikettysaezfig1.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

Guess what ... it was never like that.

Yes, it was, see above.

It never bothered me if someone worked a minimum wage job and rode around on a bicycle and lived in a ramshackle house or trailer. That was their choice and besides, I was too busy working to notice.

It's nice to be priveledged.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's nice to be priveledged.
Sorry, lazy people could be privileged just like me if they were working 2 minimum wage jobs and going to school.
I know without asking you are not privileged.

And BTW Mr. English major - it is privileged not priveledged.

roadrunner2012

Troll
I am skeptical of any institutional teachings or from any individual as well.
Every institution and individual has an agenda and motivation for teaching what they do.

Education is a plot to teach our children to believe facts, rather than magic/religion.
I would accept Math if I can demonstrate it and verify it empirically.

Apart from the grammatical errors that make that statement unintelligible, the word 'would' has meaning.
English I accept because it really does not matter.

See above. When you mangle the language, your meaning is lost. It does matter.
History I accept not at all unless I can verify ... especially if related to politics.

That is possibly the most asinine thing you have ever said. So every thing before 1960 is suspect, providing you were digesting history at an early age?

roadrunner2012

Troll
Sorry, lazy people could be privileged just like me if they were working 2 minimum wage jobs and going to school.
I know without asking you are not privileged.

And BTW Mr. English major - it is privileged not priveledged.

Nice deflection.

You don't know me, but I can say, without hesitation (apart from the queue) that you are full of, well I can't say that either.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am skeptical of any institutional teachings or from any individual as well.
Every institution and individual has an agenda and motivation for teaching what they do.
Education is a plot to teach our children to believe facts, rather than magic/religion.

Since you chose to not stick to educational institutions, I can do nothing except restate my point except in simpler terms in which you might understand. I forgot it takes explicit wording in order for you to understand - my mistake.
The purpose of US government educational institutions is to indoctrinate their students with the propaganda of the funding entity - that is the US National Government which determines the standardized test that a student must regurgitate in order to progress into the next level of indoctrination.

I would accept Math if I can demonstrate it and verify it empirically.
Apart from the grammatical errors that make that statement unintelligible, the word 'would' has meaning.
Other than using "will" rather than "Would" and therefore mixing tenses, there is nothing wrong with this statement and certainly most people would still get the meaning.

I will again write this statement with more words so there is some possibility you may understand.
I accept Math (as well as Science) as subjects that can be taught by government schools because the processes are repeatable, demonstrable and can be proven by the student.
These subjects are hard to spin and lie about because of the reasons given and therefore government schools can be trusted to a large extent to be truthful. Furthermore, the Corporations and private industry as well as the government need workers who are proficient in these two subjects.

English I accept because it really does not matter.
See above. When you mangle the language, your meaning is lost. It does matter.

The meaning was not lost except to the most unable to understand.
Perhaps you are being trite and attacking me personally rather than arguing your point.

My point was that it is increasingly being taught by government schools that knowing grammar, diction and the process of developing well-thought out logical explanations of one's point of view. The TV networks and even USA Today distill and synthesize a news story to editorials and no facts so that the user cannot see through their lies, manipulation and creation of biased drivel that the consumer has to accept or reject as being truthful.

History I accept not at all unless I can verify ... especially if related to politics.
That is possibly the most asinine thing you have ever said. So every thing before 1960 is suspect, providing you were digesting history at an early age?
In this case, you have made some assumption that makes your observation gibberish and non-sensible.

I like most Americans went through a government school and learned to regurgitate all the dates and propaganda.
Unlike most people, I expanded my education to history and newspapers written during that period and saw first-hand how governments sponsor and fund school books that rewrite history to support what they want the population to believe.

Perhaps this would be beneficial to you rather than spending all your time watching FOX News and Jimmy Swaggert.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Nice deflection.
It was not a deflection but a correction of your taking my statement out of context and trying to spin a false understanding.

You don't know me, but I can say, without hesitation (apart from the queue) that you are full of, well I can't say that either.

You lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

If one chooses to be an apologist for the non-achievers and lazy people in the world, one can easily assume they are of the same type.

As for your misspelling of "privileged", I only did that because you did it first.
Hopefully you thought my pointing that misspelling was as trite as yours was.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My mother used to say if we wanted to see a movie we should wait until it was on tv.
Coming from an inner city household ( 13 kids ) , getting new underwear at X-Mas was special .
We weren't rich , father worked 2 jobs; one in the morning for the state and afternoons on his own business .
I have followed that same lifestyle , living simple within my means & saving heavily for my future .
The idea of raising the min wage to create instant wealth is nuts .
The whole idea behind min wage jobs is to help someone learn & grow within the labor force . A stepping stone concept .
Anyone who spends years working at only min wage jobs is not learning anything , and frankly just wasting their lives . These slackers are the ones who are screaming the most for more money , but refuse to help themselves . I pity these fools. Our Society has become a give me world not a I made a success of myself world .

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It was not a deflection but a correction of your taking my statement out of context and trying to spin a false understanding.

You lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

If one chooses to be an apologist for the non-achievers and lazy people in the world, one can easily assume they are of the same type.

As for your misspelling of "privileged", I only did that because you did it first.
Hopefully you thought my pointing that misspelling was as trite as yours was.

Hoax, you are both right and wrong. Mostly wrong as usual, but wrong nonetheless. These are different times. This is a different america for the working class of people. When you were a kid, you could go to school, work two jobs and make good money to survive. The cost to survive was less than it is today.

The jobs back then paid enough to live on compared to expenses. Today, a husband and wife both working are still in the poverty level.

The jobs/careers are all but gone because of capitalism. This country has shipped all the good paying jobs overseas and people like you supported that move.

Now, you expect people to emulate what you did to get where you are, but its near impossible. Todays costs prevent that from happening.

Rents in so cal for example for a single person add up like this...

1) 1 bedroom apt. $1500 to $1800
2) cable $100.00
3) electricity $80.00
4) Gas $25.00
5) water $25.00
6) insurance 100.00
7) food $250.00
8) cell phone $90.00

That totals $2170.00 a month for a single person to survive with just the basics.

Now, do the math. How much does a young person have to earn just to pay these expenses monthly? You will find that TWO jobs wont cut it.

Until corporations start returning jobs to the USA for americans, we will always have people depending on government for assistance. This is the result of greed and corporate concern for stockholders vs the american public.

You dont like the state of our country today? Dont vote republican and things will change.

TOS.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

2) cable $100.00
3) electricity $80.00
4) Gas $25.00
5) water $25.00
6) insurance 100.00
7) food $250.00
8) cell phone $90.00

That totals $2170.00 a month for a single person to survive with just the basics.
Here's what you do ; get a roommate that drops your rent in half , no cable & cell phone . That saves $700/ month .

MAKAVELI

2) cable $100.00
3) electricity $80.00
4) Gas $25.00
5) water $25.00
6) insurance 100.00
7) food $250.00
8) cell phone $90.00

Here's what you do ; get a roommate that drops your rent in half , no cable & cell phone . That saves $700/ month .
Doesn't matter it still wouldn't be enough to live on at the current minimum wage. The point you aren't getting is while " everything" has gone up in price due to inflation, minimum wage has not. There is no logic to that other than to increase profits for corporate America.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Doesn't matter it still wouldn't be enough to live on at the current minimum wage. The point you aren't getting is while " everything" has gone up in price due to inflation, minimum wage has not. There is no logic to that other than to increase profits for corporate America.
Raising the minimum wage to $10.10 hour would have no impact on Corporate America. Almost all the impact would be on small business America.

Walmart having to pay all employees at least $10.10 as part of Minimum Wage requirements would probably increase their profit margin because their competitors would have to as well.

MAKAVELI

Raising the minimum wage to $10.10 hour would have no impact on Corporate America. Almost all the impact would be on small business America.

Walmart having to pay all employees at least $10.10 as part of Minimum Wage requirements would probably increase their profit margin because their competitors would have to as well.
It's called the price of doing business. If you can't pay your workers a livable wage and make a profit, then maybe you are in the wrong business.