fair minimum wage

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's called the price of doing business. If you can't pay your workers a livable wage and make a profit, then maybe you are in the wrong business.
I don't remember that from Business 101 but I agree with your sentiments.

I think maybe a better statement is - If consumers are not willing to support the development of a product or service provided by workers making at least the minimum wage, then they should not have access to that product or service.

The consumer is the problem when it comes to minimum wage issues - IMO.

island1fox

What happens if you have invested all of your life savings into a small franchise.
You provide jobs for people at minimum wage --you are just getting by.

The government --now --comes in and tells you --mandatory doubling of wages for your employees!!

Sounds like a fair way to go --you close the business and you and the employees go on welfare and food stamps !!

MAKAVELI

I don't remember that from Business 101 but I agree with your sentiments.

I think maybe a better statement is - If consumers are not willing to support the development of a product or service provided by workers making at least the minimum wage, then they should not have access to that product or service.

The consumer is the problem when it comes to minimum wage issues - IMO.
No the consumers not the problem Corporate America is the problem. There is no justification for constant increases in the cost of goods and services with no increase of min wage while profits continue to rise.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No the consumers not the problem Corporate America is the problem. There is no justification for constant increases in the cost of goods and services with no increase of min wage while profits continue to rise.
Consumers are the reason Corporations keep costs down.
Consumers are greedy little bastards.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Corporations keep cost down to increase profits. Corporations are the greedy little bastards. Remember corporations are people too.
Corporations are greedy big bastards.

Remember, every time you purchase based on lowest prices, you are a greedy little bastard.

MAKAVELI

Corporations are greedy big bastards.

Remember, every time you purchase based on lowest prices, you are a greedy little bastard.
Sorry but right now I purchase out of necessity to survive. I work for one of those greedy big bastards.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Rents in so cal for example for a single person add up like this...

1) 1 bedroom apt. $1500 to $1800
2) cable $100.00
3) electricity $80.00
4) Gas $25.00
5) water $25.00
6) insurance 100.00
7) food $250.00
8) cell phone $90.00

That totals $2170.00 a month for a single person to survive with just the basics.
Here's what you do ; get a roommate that drops your rent in half , no cable & cell phone . That saves $700/ month .

A roommate in a one bedroom apartment?? can you read back there in thar woods?

TOS

Nimnim

The Nim
A roommate in a one bedroom apartment?? can you read back there in thar woods?

TOS

So a 5 person family in a 2 bedroom is out of the question? That nets more people per room than 2 in a 1 bedroom. I'm also sure 5 person families never live in 2 room homes in California ever.

Or are you discriminating against the stereotypical Hispanic household that has 3 times as many people as rooms? Oh wait, I won't go into stereotypes, there's 3 "poor families" who live a few doors down from my gf who all have 1 bedroom apartments, and while she's there by herself there's no less than 4 in any of them, one even has 7 in there.

phox1515

Rents in so cal for example for a single person add up like this...

1) 1 bedroom apt. $1500 to $1800
2) cable $100.00
3) electricity $80.00
4) Gas $25.00
5) water $25.00
6) insurance 100.00
7) food $250.00
8) cell phone $90.00

That totals $2170.00 a month for a single person to survive with just the basics.
Here's what you do ; get a roommate that drops your rent in half , no cable & cell phone . That saves $700/ month .

how would that cut your rent in half if it's 1 bedroom... you would need to get a 2 bedroom because no room mate is going to pay half the rent for a living room and a couch, maybe 1/4 rent but not half. figure 1 more bedroom usually had a 50% increase, so now you're at 2200 a month, paying an extra 700 just to save 400 and that's assuming you can find a room mate that you can get along with, trust to pay the rent, etc you may even find those utilities go up too. so in the end that doesn't help that much. honestly at 2200 a month you may as well buy a house in a somewhat rural area, it'll cost less in monthly payment and depending on your vehicle it could cost only a little bit extra in gas (if you have a truck yeah you're gonna pay a lot, but a car you'll still save money)

phox1515

Ever hear of "bunk beds" ????
that also goes against what I was saying.. no one is paying half the rent for less than half of an apartment... you'd be lucky to get 1/8 rent out of me to share the bedroom... at least with the living room I could have my own space when your asleep.

oldngray

nowhere special
that also goes against what I was saying.. no one is paying half the rent for less than half of an apartment... you'd be lucky to get 1/8 rent out of me to share the bedroom... at least with the living room I could have my own space when your asleep.

That works both ways. Inside of being the one paying for an important you could be the roommate paying less to live in someone else's apartment.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When this was reported this morning, I thought I heard it would apply only to newly hired. Wouldn't that make lower seniority people, higher paid ?

Via The Hill:

President Obama will announced plans to use his executive authority to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 per hour for federal contract workers during the State of the Union address, the White House said Tuesday.

Federal workers like janitors, construction workers and dishwashers hired under new federal contracts would benefit from the new order, which the White House calls an example of how the president can “lead by example.”

“Boosting wages will lower turnover and increase morale, and will lead to higher productivity overall,” the White House said in a statement. “Raising wages for those at the bottom will improve the quality and efficiency of services provided to the government.”

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When this was reported this morning, I thought I heard it would apply only to newly hired. Wouldn't that make lower seniority people, higher paid ?

New hires and lower seniority would be affected but raises would not apply except for the contractual amount over the new Minimum Wage.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This is UNTRUE. The consumers are nothing more than victims of big corporations.

Look at LEVI STRAUSS. They had three stitching plants here in the USA before the BUSH administration. Then, after the passage of NAFTA and during BUSH2, they closed all their USA plants and moved them to mexico saying that wages and costs were making the clothing too expensive.

They went to Mexico and are paying less than 5 dollars a day for a full shift with ZERO benefits for its workers running three shifts a day. They cut out the american worker and the higher wages and yet the clothing still is 15% higher than when it was made in the USA.

When Levi Strauss cut its expenses by millions, it NEVER reduced prices for the public or included the public in the savings.

The people who got screwed were the american workers who were displaced and placed onto unemployment.

Thank capitalism.

TOS.