False termination

UPS Lifer

I've seen people bring their siblings and parents to job interviews. In my mind bringing them with you after you've been terminated is no worse. Also, relatives can often times get more emotional and escalate the situation.

They are also NOT unbiased themselves. I would expect an HR rep to be unbiased before I would expect a relative of a former employee to be.

If you're really that concerned, the best thing to do is to ask for permission to record the meeting or hire legal counsel.

The best thing to do is to at least go through the motions, ask to have HR there. If you don't think you were treated fairly, keep escalating it. If you still don't think you have been treated fairly, it will eventually go to an arbitrator or you have the option to pursue legal action.

Bringing your family into the situation really isn't helpful.

We are not talking about a job interview!

Have a witness with you. You want someone who you can count (trust) on to maintain a professional demeanor and who can acurately record what transpired during the meeting. It is up to you who that person is.

I can tell you from experience any HR situation where I was representing the company the HR rep was their for my protection. Don't get me wrong, they are there to make sure the meeting stays on track and everything stays above board.

Let me ask you this....if you have to take legal action, how much access do you think you are going to have to that HR rep? You will probably have to subpoena that person. The HR rep is paid by UPS and has a career to protect.

BrownSuit

We are not talking about a job interview!

Have a witness with you. You want someone who you can count (trust) on to maintain a professional demeanor and who can acurately record what transpired during the meeting. It is up to you who that person is.

I can tell you from experience any HR situation where I was representing the company the HR rep was their for my protection. Don't get me wrong, they are there to make sure the meeting stays on track and everything stays above board.

Let me ask you this....if you have to take legal action, how much access do you think you are going to have to that HR rep? You will probably have to subpoena that person. The HR rep is paid by UPS and has a career to protect.

I was using the Job interview as an example of places not to bring relatives.

If you think that it is going to go south in a hurry, bring legal counsel or somebody of that nature.

Most of the situations that I've run across that were questionable enough to bring somebody to document went to court or were held up in arbitration until the employee finally admitted that what they did was grounds for just termination.

Nobody likes being fired, but as a company, we usually don't do it until you really screw up. Contrary to popular belief, UPS isn't out to just randomly fire people, especially on the grounds of a rumor that you're going to quit.

Yes, the HR rep is there to protect the company, but also to protect from Stupid Managers (Every company has them) who don't understand the law. If the grounds for termination was purely on a rumor that a person was going to quit, you should only need HR there.

If there is more to the story (which everybody else has agreed there is) than you need to pursue other options.

If you were fired solely on the grounds of a rumor and don't think the company is going to give you a fair shake you're pretty messed up and probably should have never taken the sup test.

UPS Lifer

I was using the Job interview as an example of places not to bring relatives.

If you think that it is going to go south in a hurry, bring legal counsel or somebody of that nature.

Most of the situations that I've run across that were questionable enough to bring somebody to document went to court or were held up in arbitration until the employee finally admitted that what they did was grounds for just termination.

Nobody likes being fired, but as a company, we usually don't do it until you really screw up. Contrary to popular belief, UPS isn't out to just randomly fire people, especially on the grounds of a rumor that you're going to quit.

Yes, the HR rep is there to protect the company, but also to protect from Stupid Managers (Every company has them) who don't understand the law. If the grounds for termination was purely on a rumor that a person was going to quit, you should only need HR there.

If there is more to the story (which everybody else has agreed there is) than you need to pursue other options.

If you were fired solely on the grounds of a rumor and don't think the company is going to give you a fair shake you're pretty messed up and probably should have never taken the sup test.

I agree with your assessment. We are probably only getting part of the story here. In all my years here, I have seen some unjust demotions but the managers who were demoted didn't have the fire in their gut anymore. I listened to one manager commit verbal suicide on a conference call and the next day he was demoted. He said was if you think someone else can do it better get them in here.

Usually there is a lot of substance for a management person to lose their job. The file is pretty thick and all bases are covered.

Contrary to what a lot of the non-management folks think, it takes a lot to get yourself fired or a cardinal sin.