Family and Friends

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
On 3/9/09 our very dear friend passed away. So I decided to dedicate my 5000th post to family and friends.

In recent months I have had the fortune of gaining a best friend and the misfortune of losing a very dear friend. There is symetry in this. I gained my best friend at a time when I didn't know I needed one. When I hadn't had one in a long time. I had forgotten what it was like to have a best friend. Then Ginny passed away, and I was very glad to have my best friend.

There are some here that have touched my life. Danny, the father and big brother of many. Trp, thanks for bringing back the little bit of country. Upstate, gotta read between the lines to see your sense of humor. Big, Your Garfield avatar so fits you. There are so many others, Tooner, Helen, DS (yes even you), AJ (you just crack me up), Fethr, Steven, Belle, Sat (BTW, forgive me for borrowing part of a recent post of yours), Over. There are many more, but the whole point is this: You never know who may have an impact on your life. Never turn down the opportunity to make new friends, they may eventually become part of your family. Sat posted this, which I thought very appropriate:

" In my dotage, I can only hope to be half as good as I was.
I view our Tete-a-tete (sp) as a shuffle board game.
I slide my puck down a narrow alley, to make a point, and my competitor on the other end has the exact same goal in mind.
After the match, we sit on deck chairs (with drinks in hand) and watch the sunset.
Tomorrow we will slide our pucks at each other in a new game, but in the end will sit and watch this day pass.:peaceful: "
Isn't this what being friends is all about?

Don't forget what's important in life. We all go to work and carp and complain and then go home and do the same thing. I don't have time for this or that, etc. And then one day something happens, and the world is changed forever. In the end work is just work and money can't buy what is important, family and friends.

I was kind of surprised Steve, that you started my 5000th thread. I know I am not not the most popular poster here, so thank you for thinking of me. And I know I put this thread in the wrong place and it will probably get moved. Oh well! I like it here.

Soooo, did I hit the high bar?:happy-very:

browndevil

On 3/9/09 our very dear friend passed away. So I decided to dedicate my 5000th post to family and friends.

In recent months I have had the fortune of gaining a best friend and the misfortune of losing a very dear friend. There is symetry in this. I gained my best friend at a time when I didn't know I needed one. When I hadn't had one in a long time. I had forgotten what it was like to have a best friend. Then Ginny passed away, and I was very glad to have my best friend.

There are some here that have touched my life. Danny, the father and big brother of many. Trp, thanks for bringing back the little bit of country. Upstate, gotta read between the lines to see your sense of humor. Big, Your Garfield avatar so fits you. There are so many others, Tooner, Helen, DS (yes even you), AJ (you just crack me up), Fethr, Steven, Belle, Sat (BTW, forgive me for borrowing part of a recent post of yours), Over. There are many more, but the whole point is this: You never know who may have an impact on your life. Never turn down the opportunity to make new friends, they may eventually become part of your family. Sat posted this, which I thought very appropriate:

I slide my puck down a narrow alley, to make a point, and my competitor on the other end has the exact same goal in mind.
After the match, we sit on deck chairs (with drinks in hand) and watch the sunset.
Tomorrow we will slide our pucks at each other in a new game, but in the end will sit and watch this day pass.:peaceful: " Isn't this what being friends is all about?

Don't forget what's important in life. We all go to work and carp and complain and then go home and do the same thing. I don't have time for this or that, etc. And then one day something happens, and the world is changed forever. In the end work is just work and money can't buy what is important, family and friends.

I was kind of surprised Steve, that you started my 5000th thread. I know I am not not the most popular poster here, so thank you for thinking of me. And I know I put this thread in the wrong place and it will probably get moved. Oh well! I like it here.

Yes you did hit the high bar! Great post Dilli. And maybe some Sunday night, in the future in chat, we may raise a glass and toast all our friends. The good old friends, the new and yet to be friends and all us cyber friends here in the "Brown Cafe"

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
... but the whole point is this: You never know who may have an impact on your life. Never turn down the opportunity to make new friends, ....

dilli...i can feel the heavy heart, the true emotion and the tears that welled in the corners of your eyes. i can tell you gave this post much consideration and you made it very revealing and personal.

thank you for opening your soul...sharing a deep loss

i was moved and surprised to see my name included in the vast list among those i have developed positive respect for on BC.

i have not been around long enough to know if these milestones are always celebrated with such intense review and speculation...if it is so... the bar has been raised !!! aj

Johnny Ringo: [Ringo steps up to Doc] And you must be Doc Holliday.
Doc Holliday: That's the rumor.
Johnny Ringo: You retired too?
Doc Holliday: Not me. I'm in my prime.
Johnny Ringo: Yeah, you look it.
Doc Holliday: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
Kate: You don't even know him.
Doc Holliday: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
Wyatt Earp: [to Ringo] He's drunk.
Doc Holliday: In vino veritas.
["In wine is truth" meaning: "When I'm drinking, I speak my mind"]
Johnny Ringo: Age quod agis.
["Do what you do" meaning: "Do what you do best"]
Doc Holliday: Credat Judaeus apella, non ego.
["The Jew Apella may believe it, not I" meaning: "I don't believe drinking is what I do best."]
Johnny Ringo: [pats his gun] Eventus stultorum magister.
["Events are the teachers of fools" meaning: "Fools have to learn by experience"]
Doc Holliday: [gives a Cheshire cat smile] In pace requiescat.
["Rest in peace" meaning: "It's your funeral!"]
Tombstone Marshal Fred White: Come on boys. We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language.
Doc Holliday: Evidently Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
dilli...i can feel the heavy heart, the true emotion and the tears that welled in the corners of your eyes. i can tell you gave this post much consideration and you made it very revealing and personal.

thank you for opening your soul...sharing a deep loss and the gift of a new best friend that is just as emotional.

i was moved and surprised to see my name included in the vast list among those i have developed positive respect for on BC.

i have not been around long enough to know if these milestones are always celebrated with such intense review and speculation...if it is so... the bar has been raised !!! aj These milestones are a recent occurence, in this case thank you Steve. The celebration of these occurences are from an individual perspective. My perspective is based heavily on the recent death of a friend.

Johnny Ringo: [Ringo steps up to Doc] And you must be Doc Holliday.
Doc Holliday: That's the rumor.
Johnny Ringo: You retired too?
Doc Holliday: Not me. I'm in my prime.
Johnny Ringo: Yeah, you look it.
Doc Holliday: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
Kate: You don't even know him.
Doc Holliday: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
Wyatt Earp: [to Ringo] He's drunk.
Doc Holliday: In vino veritas.
["In wine is truth" meaning: "When I'm drinking, I speak my mind"]
Johnny Ringo: Age quod agis.
["Do what you do" meaning: "Do what you do best"]
Doc Holliday: Credat Judaeus apella, non ego.
["The Jew Apella may believe it, not I" meaning: "I don't believe drinking is what I do best."]
Johnny Ringo: [pats his gun] Eventus stultorum magister.
["Events are the teachers of fools" meaning: "Fools have to learn by experience"]
Doc Holliday: [gives a Cheshire cat smile] In pace requiescat.
["Rest in peace" meaning: "It's your funeral!"]
Tombstone Marshal Fred White: Come on boys. We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language.
Doc Holliday: Evidently Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him.
That is a great scene. One of my favorite movies.

Time and the needs of the heart and soul are independant of each other. It is karma when they come together.

jennie

Tomorrow we will slide our pucks at each other in a new game, but in the end will sit and watch this day pass.:peaceful: " Isn't this what being friends is all about?

This is a wonderful post, I have 4 close friends that have been in my life for over 20 years. New ones that came later, but certain ones just stay in your life, as friendship is something you just don't take for granted.

You can't forget they need you just like you need them, and to be there even when it may be hard, with all of our busy lives:happy-very: Thanks for that Dilli!

fethrs

Dilli, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. What a great post. I feel like I have made a few friends on BC and it's a good feeling.

I look forward to more of your insight, advice, and funky sense of humor.
Rock On!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Wow, wonderful.....................
and all that from an ole truck driver:peaceful:
Have a great weekend, touching, moving post

UPSERNOJ

Very nice post Dill...

I am very thankful for the close friends that I have. Some go as far back as middle school....

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have a girlfriend coming to dinner tomorrow. She comes down on the train from Toluca Lake. We've known each other since kindergarten. She's real good about keeping in touch.

We just visit for the day & catch up.

P

pickup

Was that 5,000 posts ? Or 5,000 notches on a post(as in bedpost)?:wink2: Either way, well done, dilligaf!