Fans in the trucks, dust!

bham brown

Finsh time is never my concern. LOL That's their concern. I am definitely driving slower these days just not 55-60 mph like I used to. Actually, it let's me "stay back and see it all" Had some close calls in the early days. BTW That's a HECK of a buck! Bowkill? 170"ish?

It was a gun. 168. One day I'm gonna come out your way and do some hunting. So keep the dust down. I don't want to be breathing that stuff. lol

8000Shelf

1st post here. I'm a driver fro 11 yrs in Montana. I drive 100 miles a day on dusty gravel roads. I drive w/ the doors closed to keep the dust out. Obviously it gets hot and dusty in there. Anyway, last year I filed a grievance last year on two issues. 1st grievances I've ever filed! Fans in the cab Art. 18 Sect. 14, and sealing the truck from dust Art. 18 Sect. 17. I found out that the dust I've been breathing for years is potentially deadly. It's called Silicosis. Basically lung cancer over time! Since I don't smoke I became very concerned. Silicosis comes from crushed rock. It's a documented decease. Both the CDC and OSHA warn against the hazards of dust. It's a legitimate concern. The roads we drive on are made of crushed rock! There were two of us grieving the issue. Long story short the other driver was grieving that and 9.5 issues. He was/is a thorn in their side and VERY vocal about his issues. Labor Manager fired him for dishonesty. He got his job back 3 weeks later but very conveniently all his grievances went away. Well somehow my grievances were conveniently lost as well. NEVER heard a word. Not from the shop steward (he was new shop steward), not the BA. Nothing. BA just gave me the run around. Said the Union was just preparing their case. I was told that the truck was sealed to factory specs and they couldn't do anything else. More like "wouldn't" if you ask me. Winter came. No dust or heat issues obviously so I just let it go. Plus I just figured if I kept bitching they would somehow find something to fire me for instead actually fixing the problem. Fast forward to now. Summer. Hot and dusty! I just found out a safety committee member filed a grievance on the fan issue on behalf of all our center drivers. He actually hooked up a fan himself and the district manager saw it and had it removed. I offered to file an additional grievance but he said his was sufficient. So I guess my question or concern is are there other drivers out there w/ the same issues? I was thinking about this while at work and that's when I wondered if there was a "Brown" forum to voice my concerns to since I'm not really getting anywhere at work. Hope here from you guys. You'll be hearing from me that for sure.
Driver door closed, window on that side cracked, vent open in the air exit position (not air in), pass door open. Best combo I've found.
I also don't stop unless I have to so the roost doesn't come in the cab.

timesup

Well said ,Well said. I have almost finished my time on the truck and can tell you yes your body does break down two knee surgeries, two hip replacements etc,all from the increase in work level,we are not a machine. Cant just give us a squirt of oil when we slow down .

Indecisi0n

Two different issues. fan is not going to solve dust problem. never said it would. To reduce dust in the cab, i run with the doors closed. fan would just help move the air around and help with heat. $24 at the local truck stop. Not sure what you mean by saying "if" what I'm saying true. As for the dust that still comes in. I wash out the truck daily and wear a buff. That's about the best i can do. I could drive slower. 5mph is little slow though. I have 75-100 miles of gravel a day. I'd get done a midnight.
Or you could bid a city route.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
While I can't answer your question I would say that you may be best in another career.

While dust concerns you and rightfully so, UPS can probably find another driver that doesn't share the same concern and won't fight the issue.

I have a feeling that the noise level in some of the older trucks I drive as a cover driver a not good for my hearing but have not tested the actual decibel levels to know for sure.

I think the general nature of this job is unsafe not matter how you look at it. For example, I don't believe our knees and joints were designed to get on and of a truck 400+ times a day (I do routes that go out with 200 to 220 stops) . I know the risk and am dealing with it for now but know I will only last 10 or so years.
That's the spirt champ...lol

gman042

Been around the block a few times
The rural route I used to run was dusty AF.

I talked with mechanics and one of their sup's and they came up with installing something like this along the back doors. It didn't eliminate all of the dust/dirt, but it did help.

long-BRUSH-STRIP.png

These do not help either. Driving a brand new P8 and get dust all the time. The back shelves get covered. I only have 2 dirt roads and there is enough dust from these to cover the shelves. SAD.....