Fastest way to become ups feeder driver

Kingofthenorth

I just turned 21 and want to become a ups feeder driver for my career. Would it be faster to drive for another company then to apply evreywhere there is an open full time feeder position or to work my way up at ups.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I just turned 21 and want to become a ups feeder driver for my career. Would it be faster to drive for another company then to apply evreywhere there is an open full time feeder position or to work my way up at ups.

Getting a CDL on your own only helps a little and is a lot more expensive. There isn't a fast way to becoming a feeder driver, you simply have to put your time in as a part time worker and move up to full time whenever you can. Sign every feeder bid list they put up until your name is called. Depends on your building and their need for drivers how long the wait will be. Good luck.

Brown Now

Get your CDL and try to get on with a local company. Do that for a couple of years and than apply online to the largest UPS hub in your area. Larger the better.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Yep get a minimum of 2 years experience and apply on upsjobs.com for tractor trailer driver. Consider relocating

Cementups

Box Monkey
Here in HARPA, get hired and work in hub for 30 days, put in letter of intent to drive feeders, get called to drive feeders, pass test, drive. Really that simple.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Um no. Get a job at ups. Put your time in and earn it like everyone else has. Go into package, and then go into feeders. Off the street hires are rare and they usually just take supervisors. Their shouldn't even be off the street hires, it's not right that we have to put decades in and then some ass hat just jumps right in. Screw that.

UPS4Life

Is the OP currently an employee? Like some have said depending where you are located it could take a couple weeks it could take years. We exhausted the list last year and I guess a couple new people added to this years list. I see guys training still in the afternoons almost everyday.

Brown Now

Um no. Get a job at ups. Put your time in and earn it like everyone else has. Go into package, and then go into feeders. Off the street hires are rare and they usually just take supervisors. Their shouldn't even be off the street hires, it's not right that we have to put decades in and then some ass hat just jumps right in. Screw that.
It's not rare at my hub. Also, was told that off the streets work much better because they come in with experience right out the gate. Accidents went way down. From a LTL carrier that runs doubles, even better yet. That's how I did it( another teamster company) came here and within a couple of months they had me pulling triples and double longs across the turnpike.

You need five years of all four season experience pulling doubles before you can even be considered for LCVs. (Long combination vehicle) Many don't make it simply because they can't figure out how to back up a dolly. It's understandable that UPS would rather have someone come in off the street with experience as opposed to a package driver with two weeks of training. I'm not saying it's right, but the chances of a newb fresh out of feeder school running over a fire hydrant or jackknifing is probably 100 times more likely than a veteran off the street.

At my hub, local feeder drivers come almost exclusively from package and road feeder drivers almost exclusively off the street.

Kingofthenorth

Is the OP currently an employee? Like some have said depending where you are located it could take a couple weeks it could take years. We exhausted the list last year and I guess a couple new people added to this years list. I see guys training still in the afternoons almost everyday.

OP is currently not an employee. Op lives by harrisburg hub, wants to become a UPS road feeder driver as quick as possible anywhere. OP is willing to relocate anywaye. OP wants to know if working his way up at UPS or driving LTL than attempting to get hired off street would be quicker.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
It's not rare at my hub. Also, was told that off the streets work much better because they come in with experience right out the gate. Accidents went way down. From a LTL carrier that runs doubles, even better yet. That's how I did it( another teamster company) came here and within a couple of months they had me pulling triples and double longs across the turnpike.

You need five years of all four season experience pulling doubles before you can even be considered for LCVs. (Long combination vehicle) Many don't make it simply because they can't figure out how to back up a dolly. It's understandable that UPS would rather have someone come in off the street with experience as opposed to a package driver with two weeks of training. I'm not saying it's right, but the chances of a newb fresh out of feeder school running over a fire hydrant or jackknifing is probably 100 times more likely than a veteran off the street.

At my hub, local feeder drivers come almost exclusively from package and road feeder drivers almost exclusively off the street.
I do see how they would do a better job, and from a business stand point it makes sense. However, UPS is all about seniority. As an employee who has been with the company for 14 years these guys who haven't bled brown to climb to the top can take a hike. Not only that but if a guy has been in package for 20 years and gets jumped by some nobody off the street, that isn't right at all and the off the street hire doesn't deserve the spot he is put in. I'm not going to be rude to any of the off the street guys and I'll treat them like a human being but they better not complain or try to act like they know it all, that :censored2: won't fly.