Fastest way to become ups feeder driver

Brown Now

It seems like most of the road drivers at my hub came in off the street. I personally haven't ran into any jerks. It is interesting though. It seems like many came from Consolidated Freightways, Con Way Freight, FedEx Express, FedEx Freight, Holland, Roadway Express , Yellow Freight and the combined YRC Freight.

Some Union, some non Union,some went out of business and others merged and changed names. Either way, they almost all seem genuinely thankful and just grab their keys and go. It's pretty harmonies for the most part on the road board side.

The only complaint I seem to hear from some, not all, is that they have to go through four years progression in order to make scale. I don't say anything to them. I just figure, you know what you signed up for, don't whine now. Every one at some point had to go through it.

UPS4Life

OP is currently not an employee. Op lives by harrisburg hub, wants to become a UPS road feeder driver as quick as possible anywhere. OP is willing to relocate anywaye. OP wants to know if working his way up at UPS or driving LTL than attempting to get hired off street would be quicker.
Op should go work for preload or the airport and he'll be driving in no time. We don't have much of a list. If he applied tomorrow I would bet money he's driving by July IF he has a clean record.

oldupsman

I just turned 21 and want to become a ups feeder driver for my career. Would it be faster to drive for another company then to apply evreywhere there is an open full time feeder position or to work my way up at ups.

If I were your age I'd go to a CDL school right now and get my CDL first. Then I go to the nearest UPS hub and apply for a job making
sure they know you already have your CDL. I'll bet they'll hire you in a heartbeat for some position, maybe not driving right away.
But come peak this fall I'll bet you'll be driving feeder. I've been begging my 24 year old nephew to do this for a few years already.
Of course he hasn't because he's much smarter than me.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Op should go work for preload or the airport and he'll be driving in no time. We don't have much of a list. If he applied tomorrow I would bet money he's driving by July IF he has a clean record.

It's like they don't believe us when we talk about our HUB and the quick opportunities.

UPS4Life

If I were your age I'd go to a CDL school right now and get my CDL first. Then I go to the nearest UPS hub and apply for a job making
sure they know you already have your CDL. I'll bet they'll hire you in a heartbeat for some position, maybe not driving right away.
But come peak this fall I'll bet you'll be driving feeder. I've been begging my 24 year old nephew to do this for a few years already.
Of course he hasn't because he's much smarter than me.
The only thing getting your cdl will do is give you experience before showing up and cost you roughly $5000. Why do that when ups will teach you AND PAY FOR YOUR CDL? Like @Cementups said its not that difficult.

Step 1 apply
Step 2 get 30 days
Step 3 put name on feeder list
Step 4 start training
Step 5 come back and say wow you were right.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Set you entire life up so working nights is nearly impossible. Sure as the Cleveland Browns will never win a Superbowl, the UPS Gods will somehow open up and you will get the call to move right into Feeders.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
The only thing getting your cdl will do is give you experience before showing up and cost you roughly $5000. Why do that when ups will teach you AND PAY FOR YOUR CDL? Like @Cementups said its not that difficult.

Step 1 apply
Step 2 get 30 days
Step 3 put name on feeder list
Step 4 start training
Step 5 come back and say wow you were right.
That sounds great. However I doubt every area has a good training program & trainers. Around here, it's not so good. Quite a few package car drivers didn't make it, at least on their first attempt.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Ups will pay for your cdl at a technical college through the earn and learn program for part time employees

UPS4Life

@hondo I never said our trainers were any good. I'm just saying to go to a college and cdl program on your own is a waste of money if UPS will pay for it and it won't benefit you as far as getting a job except you've had very little experience but it won't move you up.

@silenze have you known of people to do that? I'm not saying you are wrong but I've never heard of it. I don't see why ups would pay for you to attend college and get your cdl if they do it themselves. Unless of course for some reason that ups facility doesn't have road sups to train its employees but I'd think it would still be through feeders, not earn and learn.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
@hondo

@silenze have you known of people to do that? I'm not saying you are wrong but I've never heard of it. I don't see why ups would pay for you to attend college and get your cdl if they do it themselves. Unless of course for some reason that ups facility doesn't have road sups to train its employees but I'd think it would still be through feeders, not earn and learn.

Yes i did. And i was reimbursed

Hearne

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place for a questions.

Hired in 2015 to be a part-time shifter. Hub put up bidlist for feeder. I have been through all training and drug test. I've had my CDL for 20 years. I signed bidlist for feeder but bc I did not sign another list for part time to full time I was given a different position the union says does not exist TDPor QDP? Idk seriously. They hired 21 feeders off the street and then put up another part time to full time bidlist that I signed this time, then hired 6 more off the street feeders without offering to me first.
At some point I have been told I am a back up or cover feeder. This week they moved me back to shifter and said bc we did nt have enough work bc of all the new drivers. Told me to wait until Memorial Day and it will pick up. I am now guaranteed 8hr a day, before only 5 hours. Shifting in a tractor instead of a shifter.

Questions:
What the heck is my position? Shifter/feeder or ?

Do I have a valid grievance based on the info given? Hiring guys off the street before me

I have talked to union rep who said bc I did not sign part time to full time I don't have a leg to stand on. I'm in Fort Worth, TX

RolloTony Brown Town

I just turned 21 and want to become a ups feeder driver for my career. Would it be faster to drive for another company then to apply evreywhere there is an open full time feeder position or to work my way up at ups.

Here in the northeast, A Pt hourly with their CDL can drive in feeders during free periods in Summer and Fall, complete their 30 day probation and be eligible for a bid without having to complete another 30 (article 57 New England supplement), and a lot of 6:1 opportunities go to those employees.

To me it all depends on where you live. First thing would be to get your CDL. UPS could be hiring feeder drivers off the street near you but with no experience... It’d be difficult for you to get the Job. With your CDL, work towards a package driver job. Then when you go full time, reach out to feeders about opportunities. They’ll pull you out since you have the license already. Research your local as well. Your local could offer CDL training. You could also use the tuition reimbursement that ups offers to PT hourlies to go to a tractor trailer school. I have a 24 year old feeder driver that did this. He used the tuition reimbursement to pay the school, he contacted me, during Christmas I trained him and now he has a FT feeder bid less than a year after starting with UPS.