Fat person problems.

Viamus

I am your average fat autistic computer geek. I come from a line of fat autistic geeks who have all manners of problems. We get bad knees. We get diabetes. And we rarely live past our 70th birthday. I set out to change the pattern. I quit smoking earlier than my predecessors and even started losing weight. Unfortunately, working out hasn't been going too well. I'm getting older and I've been fat and out of shape for a long time. What I am good at however is getting out of bed every day at the same time and going to work. (Autism isn't all bad. Because of it I haven't missed a day of work in years. Managers have had to force me to leave because I was too sick to work.)

So my plan was to seek employment at UPS. It seemed to be a perfect plan, I may not be able to haul my fat ass to a gym, but I always go to work. Well, the plan is in motion but my coworkers and supervisors aren't thrilled.

Twice now supervisors have asked me to leave early. I know we overhired, I've heard we are holding a hiring freeze. Both times my supervisors have told me this was due to our being overstaffed. However, a coworker explained to me that this wasn't true and they're signaling to me that I'm not keeping up.

My concern is this - I know this coworker is correct, I'm not keeping up. On Tuesday, I pushed too hard and have been sore as hell ever since. Wednesday I was good for a half hour then ran out of steam. Thursday I was feeling a bit better, was told that I could keep up, but that only lasted an hour before the soreness returned and my speed tanked.

So, I ask - usually, how much time does a new hire have to get up to speed? My supervisors have assured me that I'm fine with the company, coworkers are sure that I'm not.

T

Turdferguson

I am your average fat autistic computer geek. I come from a line of fat autistic geeks who have all manners of problems. We get bad knees. We get diabetes. And we rarely live past our 70th birthday. I set out to change the pattern. I quit smoking earlier than my predecessors and even started losing weight. Unfortunately, working out hasn't been going too well. I'm getting older and I've been fat and out of shape for a long time. What I am good at however is getting out of bed every day at the same time and going to work. (Autism isn't all bad. Because of it I haven't missed a day of work in years. Managers have had to force me to leave because I was too sick to work.)

So my plan was to seek employment at UPS. It seemed to be a perfect plan, I may not be able to haul my fat ass to a gym, but I always go to work. Well, the plan is in motion but my coworkers and supervisors aren't thrilled.

Twice now supervisors have asked me to leave early. I know we overhired, I've heard we are holding a hiring freeze. Both times my supervisors have told me this was due to our being overstaffed. However, a coworker explained to me that this wasn't true and they're signaling to me that I'm not keeping up.

My concern is this - I know this coworker is correct, I'm not keeping up. On Tuesday, I pushed too hard and have been sore as hell ever since. Wednesday I was good for a half hour then ran out of steam. Thursday I was feeling a bit better, was told that I could keep up, but that only lasted an hour before the soreness returned and my speed tanked.

So, I ask - usually, how much time does a new hire have to get up to speed? My supervisors have assured me that I'm fine with the company, coworkers are sure that I'm not.

How do you come from a long line of computer geeks? Home computer use has not been around that long
fat-guy-running.gif

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you made it through your qualification period then congratulations, you have a job. Once you get some seniority they won't be able to send you home but until then you use those days off to ride your bike or something.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Your co workers are full of crap. If management has no problem with your pace then there really is no problem. Your obviously giving your best effort. That is all they ask for

Box Ox

All new hires are sore as hell and feel beat up for a few months until their bodies catch up and adjust to the work. I sure was.

Just do your best and the weight problem will take care of itself if you eat reasonably. And you'll probably get the respect you deserve if coworkers see you hanging in there for the long term.

AllOnTheHorses

yeah I bet you are doing fine. Many get sent home.. it is about saving dollars.
Tell your co-workers you are being rewarded for your above average loading skills : )
HOWEVER, you should be aware that sleep deprivation/exhaustion will manifest as carb cravings.. since your body will be in stress mode and try to compensate this ancient trigger by making you stop for french fries in the modern world.
Be aware of this. knowledge is power. Fight it. Short nap after work if you can.
I have seen many people lose weight and then start to gain back because of this natural trigger.
Also, consider why there are overweight drivers.. some of it is this reason as well.
And.. get knee jumper braces from a drugstore.. looks like a dumb thing, doesn't appear to be anything helpful.. but it will save your knees. Especially if you are carrying more weight than you should. Gel insoles will improve your entire day as well. I loaded for a long time before driving. I know these things.

HardknocksUPSer

Now that your in the door, work your normal shift as well as driver helper this winter, guarantee damn tee you will lose weight, if there's a will there's a way, give it all you got, run to EVERY door as hard as you can go and try to eat alittle healthier, drink plenty of water, allow yourself (1) can of soda a day if you MUST, eat small healthy snacks throughout the day on both shifts, eating something small will keep your metabolism, blood sugar and energy levels in check and somewhat reduce the fatigue. Goodluck! Report back.

Johney

Your co workers are full of crap. If management has no problem with your pace then there really is no problem. Your obviously giving your best effort. That is all they ask for
How long have you worked here? All the years I've been here your best is never enough.