Fat person problems.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
i was a laid off computer programmer out of work for over two years when I took a casual driving job as a last resort, I weighed 245 pounds. 4 1/2 years later and 3 job classification changes I weigh 185 pounds. It takes a while to get into shape and gain speed for this job, so do not give up

cardboard-surfer

If the shift-sup hasn't ordered you to leave permanently then you're doing an awesome job; they don't want to kick anyone out this close to Peak. Don't take the sups personally; PT sups send everyone home early in October and are directly ordered by FT sups to be jerks towards the workers. Then they want you working 12 hour days after cyber-Monday and breaking your body parts in the process.

Making book is also suspended in some (all?) locals; mid-October to early January means nothing for getting seniority and gives the sups time to kick you out before making your 30. The only two reasons to work as a PT slave during Peak are weight-loss and beer money; ignore all the begging and pleading to work extra night & sunrise shifts unless you really wanna drop more poundage.

It's grade-school all over again; sups promise to be your bestest buddy ever if you take extra shifts, then kick you out on December 26th. So much for being your bestest buddy ever. You only do this job as long as you want, PT's quit all the time, so bad some places management has to count heads during break to see whos coming back (why do you think one of the rules is, "all breaks must be performed in designated break areas"?)

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Some of the responses within this thread are what make me ashamed about society. Yes, long-term weight loss+keeping it off is a derivative of a healthy diet, with some physical activity incorporated into one's lifestyle. However, for overweight people who are accustomed to purging on their favorite high-calorie foods, this becomes a long- grueling lifetime battle. Give the OP credit for recognizing the need for change and attempting to do something about it. Unloading for 3+ hours can burn off a couple thousand calories per day if you weigh 300+ lbs. and work with enough intensity (most people, of course, don't).

To the OP -- some of our best loaders/unloaders are overweight, and I've worked with plenty of youngsters in top physical shape who couldn't handle either. It's a different kind of work out, after all. You just have to "want it" and put your best effort forward to do it.

km3

Don't have any advice about the job but make sure you are drinking plenty of water. It'll help your soreness and it will help your energy levels too. Good luck.

This. What worked for me was drinking every time volume slowed down even when I wasn't thirsty, then when I was thirsty, drinking until I felt like I was going to drown.

I'm on the hefty side myself, so you can definitely do this. Just keep at it, work safe, and stay hydrated.

Whargoul

We got a bunch of fat drivers. There is one that looks about 350lb but he seems to do alright. I bet they give him a lot of crap but he made it through probation so he must be doing the job right. All the drivers sups are really fat too - I knew one before he became driver sup and he was a really skinny guy. Must be all the pizza and Jimmy Johns I see em eating in the office.