favorite comfort foods

drewed

Shankman
Blackbox, I got to thinking about the potato chip/ice cream thing....my hubby takes salted pretzels and uses his bowl of vanilla ice cream as a dip for his pretzels. Not too different from you......salty crunchy something in ice cream.

My mom always dips her fries into a wendys frosty when she goes......

Personally id say for me comfort food would be fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn bread, and greens

or some bbq could hit the spot either or haha

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
My mom always dips her fries into a wendys frosty when she goes..

Get your Frosty to go & put in the freezer for a couple of hours. It's an excellent Sunday evening snack.

How about a couple of homemade chocolate chip cookies with a scoop of Turkey Hill Coffee ice cream in the middle.

browniehound

Wow, what a great topic! I could go on forever on this subject, lol!

Comfort foods, AHHH they are SOOOO good. I like evryone's suggestions so far, but I have a few of my own. I'm not sure these qualify as 'comfort foods' but they comfort me during the cold months so I will suggest them and comment on some of the others already suggested.

Chili has to be at the top of the list, no? When its cold, hot and spicey chili is the ultimate comfort food. Add an ice-cold draft beer and I'm in heaven!

How about home-made mac-and-cheese? Add some pieces of ham into it and I love it!

When we talk about comfort food we have to talk about soup. Chicken noodle and beef vegetable are up there, but cheesy french onion is the untilmate comfort soup.

What a great topic. Any other suggestions?

Comfort food by defintion is bad for you, but we are experiencing tough times right now and the need for comfort food has never been greater. I guess we are still doing OK when we can chat and eat our comfort foods in bad times.

Times are bad, but on a very cold day we can still fill our belly with warm foods! When I can't eat when I want I will declared things bad.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Homemade ham pot pie soup with fresh bread with lots of butter just out of the oven. Then wash it down with a big glass of milk.

As long as the oven is on ya may as well make homemade cinnamon rolls for dessert too!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Dino.....

I'm with you on the 'browned' hashbrowns. Did you ever notice how hard it is to get them that way in a restaurant ?? I usually tell the waitress to tell the cook to "burn 'em". All I really want is the hash browns to look like the picture on the menu and not like white, oily strips.

Channahon

Homemade cabbage rolls, with freshly ground pork shoulder, mixed with white rice, and sauteed onions, celery, green peppers and garlic. A nice tomato gravy, and boiled potatoes.

Even my grandkids like them, although my grandson, asks me to take off the salad (he means the cabbage).