favorite truck

SmithBarney

Depends on the area, Driving a W700 in a rural setting(I've had to when we ran out of vehicles) sucks.
Driving an Econoline in a heavy industrial area with heavy freight sucks...

Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Honestly Driving a rental with satellite radio is the best... ;)

One of these.
image.jpg

Express Courier

All have their pros and cons. I'll go with a Sprinter though, it's like the middle-ground of the vehicles. I like the quiet stealthiness of it so I can drop and run lmao.

XFILED

Ill take a W700 any day...just not the hybrid ones or the ones that start with a wristband...
I have a soft spot for the old Ice Cream truck ones...some of those suckas were fast!!!

serco

Sprinters absolutly suck! Owned 1 good one and 2 that just about broke the bank in repairs! 1 econoline with no room for boxes but alway ran well! Now i just picked up a 97 freightliner p700 diesel ( old express truck for 5k) hoping for better results with the express truck!

whenIgetthere

Sprinters absolutly suck! Owned 1 good one and 2 that just about broke the bank in repairs! 1 econoline with no room for boxes but alway ran well! Now i just picked up a 97 freightliner p700 diesel ( old express truck for 5k) hoping for better results with the express truck!

Hope that 700 isn't from the snow belt, the frames on those things are rotting out like crazy.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Interesting. Previous company policy was to scrap all retired vehicles. Now, if I am to believe this post, former Express vehicles are being made available to Ground contractors? UPS has "P" series vehicles, so are you referring to a W700? These had the Freightliner chassis with Utilimaster body. Here's the deal. I had been wondering where the W700's were going, so we may have an answer here.

More evidence of the plan to shift Express volume to Ground, by providing cheap vehicles for expansion.

STFXG

Old express vans are all over the place. You can find them on eBay and truckpaper some times. I know someone that got a sprinter for cheap. P700 refers to cargo space (cubic feet) That's what we go by. p500, p700, p1000 and p1200.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Old express vans are all over the place. You can find them on eBay and truckpaper some times. I know someone that got a sprinter for cheap. P700 refers to cargo space (cubic feet) That's what we go by. p500, p700, p1000 and p1200.

Not FedEx Express vans, unless they have changed policy. Everything we retired used to be scrapped....no exceptions. I realize that the numbers refer to cargo space, but I'm interested in the letter designation. If he got an actual former FedEx Express W700, I'd be surprised.

bbsam

Staff member
We have three at our station. Usually go for about $6900. '97's are the ones usually sought. Last year for the mechanical Cummims 12 valve motors.