favorite truck

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They are all over Ebay motors and used truck lots. Can still see Express lettering.

Then they have changed policy on retired vehicles. UPS still scraps everything for liability purposes, and so did FedEx Express. I just checked eBay and there was a "P700" that us clearly an ex-FedEx Express W700. The 12-valve Cummins is better than the 24-valve but the early W700's were plagued with frame problems. Later models have better ventilation.

ups needs to scrap a few more vehicles.............(like most of the ones on the road)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!trust me........... I drive one of these or atleast get towed in one of them!!!!!!!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We have three at our station. Usually go for about $6900. '97's are the ones usually sought. Last year for the mechanical Cummims 12 valve motors.

eBay had a nice 2002 for $6900 "Buy It Now", which means the dealer probably got it for $3000-$4000. The W700's were supposed to be "20-year vehicles", designed to last for 750,000 to 1,000,000 miles, which is about right for a commercial quality diesel-powered vehicle. That means FedEx didn't realize their investment, and once again, wasted money on vehicles that were wrong.

I fully realize that bulk volume is down, but where is the money-saving in replacing a perfectly good W700 with a brand-new $40,000 Sprinter or Nissan? Couldn't we have continued to use the W700's, even though they would have less freight in them? It would take a lot of miles before you'd make-up the $36,000-$37,000 (purchase price of new Sprinter minus sold value of used W700) in fuel savings between a Sprinter and W700.

Guess what the biggest complaint about Sprinters is? Not enough room.

MAKAVELI

We have three at our station. Usually go for about $6900. '97's are the ones usually sought. Last year for the mechanical Cummims 12 valve motors.

eBay had a nice 2002 for $6900 "Buy It Now", which means the dealer probably got it for $3000-$4000. The W700's were supposed to be "20-year vehicles", designed to last for 750,000 to 1,000,000 miles, which is about right for a commercial quality diesel-powered vehicle. That means FedEx didn't realize their investment, and once again, wasted money on vehicles that were wrong.

I fully realize that bulk volume is down, but where is the money-saving in replacing a perfectly good W700 with a brand-new $40,000 Sprinter or Nissan? Couldn't we have continued to use the W700's, even though they would have less freight in them? It would take a lot of miles before you'd make-up the $36,000-$37,000 (purchase price of new Sprinter minus sold value of used W700) in fuel savings between a Sprinter and W700.

Guess what the biggest complaint about Sprinters is? Not enough room.

It's also the cost to maintain the older trucks. They do break a lot. They would much rather cut the mechanics and have them doing mostly pm and tire changes instead of a lot of heavy repair. I'm sure they get to write off a good portion of these new vehicles as well.

MAKAVELI

Those 700s would never come close to a million miles with the type of driving we do. No truck is going to last that long in extreme driving conditions, stop and go , city driving, 6 days a week.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Those 700s would never come close to a million miles with the type of driving we do. No truck is going to last that long in extreme driving conditions, stop and go , city driving, 6 days a week.

I beg to differ. The 12-valve Cummins is a million-mile motor. Some of our CTV tractors with larger Cummins are well over a million already. The Alllison transmission is one of the most bulletproof ever built. The aluminum and fiberglass/plastic body will never corrode or wear-out. Commercial vehicles are meant to last a long time, and getting 20 years out of a W700 would have been entirely possible. If I had a delivery business, I'd probably snap-up several of these, after I checked the frames.

UPS used to keep package cars forever. back in the late 80's they would still drag-out package cars from the early 60's and then store them until the next peak. They would just keep on rebuilding them until the frame broke or rusted-out and only then would they scrap them. Some of the better ones were painted white or yellow and re-purposed as ramp vehicles for airport ops. One of the reasons UPS runs such a tight ship is that they run everything into the ground before they get rid of it. Jeez, when I drove seasonal feeder for them it was the same deal. They'd roll-out these old warhorse tractors with way over a million miles on them and make the temps use them for peak. The rest of the year, they sat around or were used for very local work. Smart, and very frugal, even if it wasn't much fun for the driver.

The point is that a smart company gets the maximum utilization out of it's vehicle assets. It is far cheaper to maintain a W700 than it is to replace them with a new fleet. Sure, the Sprinter gets better mileage, but they are total crap. My guess is that a Nissan or an Econoline get similar mileage to a diesel W700.

So, where are the savings? Remember, we are supposed to be broke here.

MAKAVELI

I beg to differ. The 12-valve Cummins is a million-mile motor. Some of our CTV tractors with larger Cummins are well over a million already. The Alllison transmission is one of the most bulletproof ever built. The aluminum and fiberglass/plastic body will never corrode or wear-out. Commercial vehicles are meant to last a long time, and getting 20 years out of a W700 would have been entirely possible. If I had a delivery business, I'd probably snap-up several of these, after I checked the frames.

UPS used to keep package cars forever. back in the late 80's they would still drag-out package cars from the early 60's and then store them until the next peak. They would just keep on rebuilding them until the frame broke or rusted-out and only then would they scrap them. Some of the better ones were painted white or yellow and re-purposed as ramp vehicles for airport ops. One of the reasons UPS runs such a tight ship is that they run everything into the ground before they get rid of it. Jeez, when I drove seasonal feeder for them it was the same deal. They'd roll-out these old warhorse tractors with way over a million miles on them and make the temps use them for peak. The rest of the year, they sat around or were used for very local work. Smart, and very frugal, even if it wasn't much fun for the driver.

The point is that a smart company gets the maximum utilization out of it's vehicle assets. It is far cheaper to maintain a W700 than it is to replace them with a new fleet. Sure, the Sprinter gets better mileage, but they are total crap. My guess is that a Nissan or an Econoline get similar mileage to a diesel W700.

So, where are the savings? Remember, we are supposed to be broke here.

You are comparing apples to oranges. The ctv drive from a to b. Our type of driving puts a lot more wear and tear on a vehicle. I'm not saying that they couldnt get more miles out of these trucks. Only that they weigh the maintenance and fuel cost v the cost of a vehicle and tax write off savings not to mention they are cutting down on the amount of mechanics. Now the choice of vehicles that they are replacing them with is another thing.

bbsam

Staff member
We actually have a Ford Econoline van in the building with slightly over 600,000 miles on the original gasoline engine. I drove it a couple months ago and couldn't notice anything to suggest that it's slowing down at all. Most have over 400,000 miles.

MAKAVELI

We actually have a Ford Econoline van in the building with slightly over 600,000 miles on the original gasoline engine. I drove it a couple months ago and couldn't notice anything to suggest that it's slowing down at all. Most have over 400,000 miles.

I would say that's the exception . Most motors can last for very long time if if taken care of , its everything else that tends to break. All of our old, econolines are long gone and most of them didn't even have half that many miles.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
I do have a theory on our long lasting engines. They say that the most wear happens at startup. Many of these vans have practically been STARTED once a day every day that they have been on the street. All parts are constantly lubricated. So all that idle time might actually help maintain the components. Of course I can't prove it, but it makes some sense.

MAKAVELI

I do have a theory on our long lasting engines. They say that the most wear happens at startup. Many of these vans have practically been STARTED once a day every day that they have been on the street. All parts are constantly lubricated. So all that idle time might actually help maintain the components. Of course I can't prove it, but it makes some sense.

It's actually has more to do with how well built a particular motor is and the maintenance of the vehicle. Most vehicles are started frequently and it would take a vehicle to sit for a long time for all the oil to drain completely . Now if you are not shutting it off at every stop, that would make a difference.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
What amazes me about my 97 W700 is I drive it like I stole it and shut it down at every stop.
Here's the thing, I can hear the turbo impeller spinning when I get out of the truck. I make at least 100 starts and stops a day and that impeller is spinning w/o any oil and I have yet to have a problem with it. Oh, wait a min, I do notice more blue smoke out the tail pipe when I stuff my foot in it.

MAKAVELI

Than it probably is just luck or not true.
Too many vehicles to just be luck and I have no reason to lie. We are, however, all real believers in Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

I would believe that with an engine rebuild. I just don't see a regular gasoline engine lasting that long without at least a rebuild. This line of work just puts too much wear and tear on the engines. Like I said the ones we had are long gone and not nearly that much mileage on them. They were all pieces of smile* constantly breaking down every week . They had the worst turning radius of any vehicle I've driven and no suspension whatsoever. Everybody was glad to see those things go.

serco

Sounds like 5k spend well, I'll keep my foot stuffed in it to keep the blue smoke flowing out! Frame checked out good no rusting!

bbsam

Staff member
I would believe that with an engine rebuild. I just don't see a regular gasoline engine lasting that long without at least a rebuild. This line of work just puts too much wear and tear on the engines. Like I said the ones we had are long gone and not nearly that much mileage on them. They were all pieces of smile* constantly breaking down every week . They had the worst turning radius of any vehicle I've driven and no suspension whatsoever. Everybody was glad to see those things go.

nope. No rebuild. Just excellent motors. Rest of the truck rusts away. Biggest problems we normally run into is bad coil packs .

code 019 at ur moms

I love my bulk 700 but the real answer is a rental yukon with what sounds like 12" subwoofers in the back. if I don't have to turn the bass down from default to keep my chest cavity from rattling apart then it's not a good enough sound system.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS