Feb. 1st

vantexan

I was a contractor. I do know how this sh*& works and YES YOU CAN UNIONIZE. Stop making excuses for this greedy ass corporation, BAND TOGETHER AND DEMAND CHANGE! Don't you realize you have far more power than you think if you all stand together? Someone just needs to start the ball rolling. Stand for something or fall for anything should be your mantra if you are not willing to fight for change.

I'm an Express employee, and it's virtually impossible for us to unionize. As for Ground, any union would have to deal with contractors, not FedEx itself. Why would contractors unionize against FedEx? And how could they, they work on a contract, they aren't employees. Employees of contractors who tried to unionize would be out on their can in a heartbeat. Buy a clue.

bbsam

Staff member
Your system is based on finding enough drivers who will work for lower pay and no benefits. As long as you can find them you're good to go. You literally have to hope the economy stays flat to keep things as they are.
Let's just say that in the 18 years I've been doing this, I have never had a problem finding drivers. I leave it to you to decide whether the economy was good or bad over those years.

The only people at Fedex that is making any money are the people on top who dont do Jackcrap!!!! Union isnt all good or all bad.....but you guys and gals need a Union....Fair days wage for a fair days work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Come on Fedex show them the money!!!

vantexan

Let's just say that in the 18 years I've been doing this, I have never had a problem finding drivers. I leave it to you to decide whether the economy was good or bad over those years.

I guess that gets back to the enjoyment of being out on your own rather than working closely with a bunch of people you may not care for. For a % of the population that's worth more than better pay.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The only Ground employees who could possibly unionize are those employed by the company. They tried that in Massachusetts and failed miserably.

True, and that's because FedEx brought-in their "union killer" hit squad that filled the workers with BBQ and BS...and it worked. Perhaps Mr. Hoffa could get more aggressive in terms of IBT efforts? Oh, he can't do that because that would violate his payoff agreement with Fred S.

StuffItFred

It used to take approx 21 months to top out here at Fedex. Now I feel for any mid-range or new hire. There is no way with the pay progression system in place ANY new hire or 5-10yr employee will ever top out. And Fred likes and wants to keep it that way.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It used to take approx 21 months to top out here at Fedex. Now I feel for any mid-range or new hire. There is no way with the pay progression system in place ANY new hire or 5-10yr employee will ever top out. And Fred likes and wants to keep it that way.
Greedy 'ol son of a bitch ain't he? I suppose Smith thinks he's gonna take his $2 billion with him into the afterlife as well?

StuffItFred

Greedy 'ol son of a bitch ain't he? I suppose Smith thinks he's gonna take his $2 billion with him into the afterlife as well?

Yes he is. And he David B, and MT3 all are laughing to the bank by the truckloads. Still would love to see THEIR health care plans. Guarantee it is same as the pilots OR better.

xfedx

First off, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](it should be noted that the word “UNION”, does NOT necessarily imply a “Trade Union”, but merely a free association of people).[/FONT] Independent Contractors for FedEx need to form an association to protect themselves against a one sided bogus contract! You actually think that most of them are happy footing the entire bill for FedEx and barely make enough to cover expenses and a decent living? Hell no most of them aren't happy! They want and need more money! Have you seen the condition of most of their trucks? Their crap! Who are they going to report a grievance to? Contractor Relations, a FedEx employee? No bias there! What a joke! Read most of the posts man! As far as drivers for contractors, THEY NEED TO UNIONIZE WITH TEAMSTERS! It's not like people are lining up to be screwed over by a ground or home delivery contractor! It is a s&*t job, with sh*& pay and no benefits. I was a contractor with ground. Believe me,it can be done and with any guts whatsoever, it will begin to happen. This crap is like a friggin sweat shop!

vantexan

First off, (it should be noted that the word “UNION”, does NOT necessarily imply a “Trade Union”, but merely a free association of people). Independent Contractors for FedEx need to form an association to protect themselves against a one sided bogus contract! You actually think that most of them are happy footing the entire bill for FedEx and barely make enough to cover expenses and a decent living? Hell no most of them aren't happy! They want and need more money! Have you seen the condition of most of their trucks? Their crap! Who are they going to report a grievance to? Contractor Relations, a FedEx employee? No bias there! What a joke! Read most of the posts man! As far as drivers for contractors, THEY NEED TO UNIONIZE WITH TEAMSTERS! It's not like people are lining up to be screwed over by a ground or home delivery contractor! It is a s&*t job, with sh*& pay and no benefits. I was a contractor with ground. Believe me,it can be done and with any guts whatsoever, it will begin to happen. This crap is like a friggin sweat shop!

According to contractors here they do pretty well. And if a contractor signs a contract, how is an assocation going to help him? I'm not defending the company, but you come on here screaming we need to do this, we ought to do that, but just because you think it should happen doesn't mean it's possible. Don't you think if it were possible we'd have done it by now? It's not like we're all waiting for you to show up to tell us to, we've had plenty of people tell us to in the past. We can't get the Teamsters to do anything, those in the gov't who are supposed to care have turned their backs on us, and there's fear and apathy in the ranks. But if it makes you happy go ahead and scream.

overflowed

First off, (it should be noted that the word “UNION”, does NOT necessarily imply a “Trade Union”, but merely a free association of people). Independent Contractors for FedEx need to form an association to protect themselves against a one sided bogus contract! You actually think that most of them are happy footing the entire bill for FedEx and barely make enough to cover expenses and a decent living? Hell no most of them aren't happy! They want and need more money! Have you seen the condition of most of their trucks? Their crap! Who are they going to report a grievance to? Contractor Relations, a FedEx employee? No bias there! What a joke! Read most of the posts man! As far as drivers for contractors, THEY NEED TO UNIONIZE WITH TEAMSTERS! It's not like people are lining up to be screwed over by a ground or home delivery contractor! It is a s&*t job, with sh*& pay and no benefits. I was a contractor with ground. Believe me,it can be done and with any guts whatsoever, it will begin to happen. This crap is like a friggin sweat shop!

All the ex contractors I've met in Express sound exactly like xfedx. If it were not the case why did they sell off their rtes and go hourly? Must be worse off than we are. Could be bad business people, but I don't think that's all there is to it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

A lot of FedEx contractors were going belly-up in the 90's and even later in some cases. I can recall many ads in Craiglist, local papers, and elsewhere offering Ground routes and equipment at fire sale prices. Why would anyone sell a profitable business, much less lose their ass? One big part of the scam that hardly ever gets mentioned is the pressure to buy the vehicle(s) through FedEx, which presumably gets another cut that way. I know that bbsam (and others) operate whatever they want to, but when I attended a Ground sales pitch meeting (informational purposes only) it was expected that you would get a FedEx spec vehicle...from them.

vantexan

A lot of FedEx contractors were going belly-up in the 90's and even later in some cases. I can recall many ads in Craiglist, local papers, and elsewhere offering Ground routes and equipment at fire sale prices. Why would anyone sell a profitable business, much less lose their ass? One big part of the scam that hardly ever gets mentioned is the pressure to buy the vehicle(s) through FedEx, which presumably gets another cut that way. I know that bbsam (and others) operate whatever they want to, but when I attended a Ground sales pitch meeting (informational purposes only) it was expected that you would get a FedEx spec vehicle...from them.

I'm not defending the company, but right now Ground rts are being handled by contractors either directly or as ISP's throughout the entire country. The only complaining I'm seeing, beyond the general gripes of running a business, is from FORMER contractors with an axe to grind. If it's always a bad deal then word would get around and the only people becoming new contractors would be dimwits who don't do their due diligence. FedEx has a huge interest in seeing contractors succeed and I highly doubt they're handing out contracts to anyone they don't have confidence in to perform. It's, for all I know, a good deal for most, just not a good deal for their drivers. They can gloss it over all they want, but considering the workload FedEx should be insuring at least $20hr with OT, and some kind of health plan for the inevitable breakdown of handling all that freight.

STFXG

Contract settlement and profitability has gone up quite a bit over the last 10 years. FedEx has also added a lot of requirements to add a new route. They used to not have to be nearly as profitable as they have to be now. It's made it harder to buy in (values have sky rocketed in most markets) because they are worth more. And contractors are more vested in their business because they are in to it for more (standards and service are constantly rising).

55+

Question to ground contractors ...did you have your lawyer look at the contract before signing ? and if so what was their advice? also are you allowed to be represented by an attorney when it comes time to sign a ground contract ?