Fed Ex Ground Benefit Questions

Luvmyups2

Hi There!! Newbie here!! Newbie not only to this thread but also to the Fedex familly. My hubby has been an employee of UPS for 14 years. Was a friend/t driver for 8 years making awesome money and benefits but I was offered an out of state transfer so we jumped on it. Unfortunatley w/UPS not offering transfers for their friend/t employees (which is ridiculous btw) we gave up UPS to pretty much start over at the UPS hub here. Back to Loading trucks, 4am shifts and a HUGE pay cut its been quite a struggle.
Recently he was offered a full time driving position w/Fed Ex Ground so weeks of thinking about it have decided "why not"~ My only big concern was them being "independent contractors"~ That means losing our great UPS benefits, 401k etc. Its definintley alot to swallow.

My question is are there any companies that anyone has heard of that give these ground drivers good deals on benefits? My wheels have been spinning in my head on what to do , is this the right decision etc etc.......
Hubbys happy w/not having to pull 4am shifts anymore and not having to work a 2nd job to get by. Now it's decent pay, great hours BUT no Family Benefits!! Kind of a toss up huh!?!?!? Will Ground ever off Benefits to their driver ya think? I don't understand why Fedex doesn't have any kind of "group plan" under them for the ground drivers!!!

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Welcome, and FedEx doesn't offer it because Ground drivers are not FedEx "employees".

Hope everything works out for you, and use the internet to find some decent deals. I know that State Farm offers some health plans...

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Geez, sorry 'bout your husband's job there but why did you jump at the chance to transfer out of state when your husband had to throw in the towel as a UPS dfriver?

To go from that to work back in the hub and a second job or Fed Ex Ground doesn't seem like the decision to move was really worth it or am I missing something here?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hi There!! Newbie here!! Newbie not only to this thread but also to the Fedex familly. My hubby has been an employee of UPS for 14 years. Was a friend/t driver for 8 years making awesome money and benefits but I was offered an out of state transfer so we jumped on it. Unfortunatley w/UPS not offering transfers for their friend/t employees (which is ridiculous btw) we gave up UPS to pretty much start over at the UPS hub here. Back to Loading trucks, 4am shifts and a HUGE pay cut its been quite a struggle.
Recently he was offered a full time driving position w/Fed Ex Ground so weeks of thinking about it have decided "why not"~ My only big concern was them being "independent contractors"~ That means losing our great UPS benefits, 401k etc. Its definintley alot to swallow.

My question is are there any companies that anyone has heard of that give these ground drivers good deals on benefits? My wheels have been spinning in my head on what to do , is this the right decision etc etc.......
Hubbys happy w/not having to pull 4am shifts anymore and not having to work a 2nd job to get by. Now it's decent pay, great hours BUT no Family Benefits!! Kind of a toss up huh!?!?!? Will Ground ever off Benefits to their driver ya think? I don't understand why Fedex doesn't have any kind of "group plan" under them for the ground drivers!!!

No benefits at Ground, and probably none in the pipeline. The low-wage/no benefit cost structure of FedEx Ground is precisely why they can undercut UPS on price, and changing that equation would negate much of the advantage. I wonder if your husband will get a flat-rated salary or an hourly wage? Probably no O/T pay either. He's going to be very unhappy at Ground coming from UPS. If I were him, I'd keep on looking. And there is no "FedEx Family", but you'll discover that soon enough.

Sorry to be harsh, but those are the facts. Let us know how he feels about Ground in a month, if he hasn't already quit.

FedExer267

Welcome to Browncafe!!! To answer your questions about FedEx Ground your husband will get a flat rate salary most contractors start off at 650 a week however some start as low as 500 a week. No overtime, no benefits, no paid holidays, some offer paid vacation but far and few in between. Some contractors offer a bonus but again very little contractors do this. No raises either.

He will be expected to work up to 70 hours a week per our DOT rules and regulations but only get 40 hours on his check. This is just a job not a career by any stretch of the imagination. FedEx does not have any group plan for Ground drivers because we are not their employees however it does not keep them from trying to run you like their employees. If I was your husband I would keep my eyes open for something better. The contractor will love the fact that he is a UPS driver and lure him in with all kinds of promises. Just keep in mind they are empty promises and it will never get better.

FedExer267

I wonder why bbsam has not answered to this yet. He probally fell out of his chair laughing, thinking what does she think her husband has a real job hahahahaha

bbsam

Staff member
What would I say? The same thing I would always say. The job is what it is. Take it or leave it. Matters little to me. Everything seems up front. Long hours, no benefits. Could always go work for another contractor (you could too, 267). Never have I suggested that being a Ground driver is a dream job, or even one to make a carreer. Others around here believe that it should be.

LTFedExer

FedEx doesn't pay the Ground drivers. It's up to the IC what they get paid and/or any benefits. Find a good IC and you'll get the better pay. I'm surprised MrFedEx didn't suggest your husband stick it out and stay at UPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx doesn't pay the Ground drivers. It's up to the IC what they get paid and/or any benefits. Find a good IC and you'll get the better pay. I'm surprised MrFedEx didn't suggest your husband stick it out and stay at UPS.

He'll be able to figure that out for himself in short order. Hope he has a strong marriage.

Luvmyups2

Geez, sorry 'bout your husband's job there but why did you jump at the chance to transfer out of state when your husband had to throw in the towel as a UPS dfriver?

To go from that to work back in the hub and a second job or Fed Ex Ground doesn't seem like the decision to move was really worth it or am I missing something here?

Well we didn't like the area we were in at all, just didnt' want to raise our family there..........plus the HR director here said there was room and they could get him driving asap. I moved first since we bought a home then he moved in month and during that time (2008) the economy started crashing here. They started laying off drivers at UPS and when he got here there was no room. Took them 6 months to get him on then they only started him at p/t. We had already bought a home so it wasn't as easy to just throw in the towel & go back! It sucks Yes!! Everything happens for a reason~

Luvmyups2

I wonder why bbsam has not answered to this yet. He probally fell out of his chair laughing, thinking what does she think her husband has a real job hahahahaha

Have ya ever heard the quote "if ya dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all"~ You laugh but ya have no idea, Karma Mr Maturity, Karma! :happy2::happy2::happy2:

bbsam

Staff member
What would I say? The same thing I would always say. The job is what it is. Take it or leave it. Matters little to me. Everything seems up front. Long hours, no benefits. Could always go work for another contractor (you could too, 267). Never have I suggested that being a Ground driver is a dream job, or even one to make a carreer. Others around here believe that it should be.

Well, Luv, not sure what there is that isn't nice. May be the cold hard facts of the matter, but what of it? Sorry I couldn't blow smoke up your hinds-side and give you false hope (the way UPS HR did), but maybe you can massage your hurt feelings and go on making the best of a less than perfect situation.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Have ya ever heard the quote "if ya dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all"~ You laugh but ya have no idea, Karma Mr Maturity, Karma! :happy2::happy2::happy2:

You came on here and asked our professional opinions and, you got them. We all work for FedEx in one way or another.
Sorry if you don't like what you're hearing but, it's the truth. You'll find out we're right soon enough.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

We've been very honest with you about what your husband can expect from Ground, which isn't much. bbsam is a contractor, so his version of reality is shaped by his position. The rest of us are drivers, or "couriers", and we're out every day humping the freight. I see and talk with Ground drivers every day, and it isn't pretty. In my area, the contractor owns about a dozen routes. All of his drivers work for a flat weekly salary, which is $600 per week for walk-in drivers and $750 per week for straight-truck drivers. They all work around 60 hrs per week...no OT, no benefits. The contractor makes out like a bandit, drives a Mercedes, and has an office with staff. Do you think that he's making major bank by screwing his drivers blind? The correct answer would be "yes".

If Karma exists, FedEx management is due a boatload of the bad variety. FedExer267 speaks the truth, and I'm sorry you don't believe him. I guess you'll have to find out the hard way that we aren't kidding.

FedExer267

I have no idea now thats funny. bbsam is a Contractor and I am a driver for Ground. They will bring you in making promises of raises and bonuses especially if you are a qualified driver. You soon learn that there is no raises and no bonuses. You work for a flat rate 450 to 700 a week and remember we can work up to 70 hours a week and make the same for a 40 hour week.

bbsam has said in the past that this a supplemental income job which in your case could be true because you work. If this is a supplemantal income job you have to ask yourself why is it that UPS, Cintas, Aramark make it a career, we all do basically the same thing, the delivery and pick up of stuff. For the single dad doing what he can do to get by earning a income with no benefits its a struggle, sure I could get a 2nd job but when do I see my kids? or if I have a heavy week and can not make my night job on time how long do you think I would last?
Just so we are clear on this you and almost everyone else on this board supplies my family and I with foodstamps and Medi-cal and I work full time. If this was such a great job how is it you could work up to 70 hours a week and qualify for government assistance. Sorry you think I have no idea. I have been here for awhile I think I have a idea how this place operates.:peaceful:

bbsam

Staff member
We've been very honest with you about what your husband can expect from Ground, which isn't much. bbsam is a contractor, so his version of reality is shaped by his position. The rest of us are drivers, or "couriers", and we're out every day humping the freight. I see and talk with Ground drivers every day, and it isn't pretty. In my area, the contractor owns about a dozen routes. All of his drivers work for a flat weekly salary, which is $600 per week for walk-in drivers and $750 per week for straight-truck drivers. They all work around 60 hrs per week...no OT, no benefits. The contractor makes out like a bandit, drives a Mercedes, and has an office with staff. Do you think that he's making major bank by screwing his drivers blind? The correct answer would be "yes".

If Karma exists, FedEx management is due a boatload of the bad variety. FedExer267 speaks the truth, and I'm sorry you don't believe him. I guess you'll have to find out the hard way that we aren't kidding.

I take offense. I would never, ever drive a Mercedes.

FedExer267

But I'll bet you could afford one. I go by this particular contractor's office every day. The new AMG Mercedes kind of stands out amongst the cars of the poor.

hahaha aint that the truth!!!! Drive by any FedEx Ground terminal and you will see right away who is a Contractor and who is a driver. Another dead give away is the drivers are usually sporting out of date registration.