FED EX misclassifies employees

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I bet if you ask nice the other Dave will answer your question...otherwise who the hell cares... That topic is way over any of our pay grades..

bacha29

David: Fedex express workers are employees and covered under the railway workers act which means that they are in law terms airline workers. They can go union but it would require a nationwide vote. Given that many southern states are so anti union a vote to go union would be hard pressed to get 40%. At Ground the drivers there are under Taft Hartley. They can go union on a local by local basis. That is why X has them classified as"independent contractors". That classification has been challenged in court through numerous class action law suits. X has won some and lost some but the matter is no much closer to a final outcome than it was 5 years ago.

It will be fine

Can somebody elaborate in detail in what ways FED EX takes advantage of the miss classification of their employees?
That's a leading question. Like, "When did you stop beating your wife?"
FedEx used to classify its drivers as contractors and many courts have decided they were in fact employees. This saved fedex all the benefits they would have paid employees.
Now FedEx contracts out service rights to its Ground network to small corporations. The drivers are employees of these corporations not of FedEx. It still saves them a boat load of money.

bacha29

Mr. Burkett: Keep in mind that as Mr.IWBF says contractors are now S corps or C corps, but no matter what designation X assigns it still maintains with the exception of a few minor matters absolute power and control and that small corporations one and only customer.

bbsam

Staff member
Mr. Burkett: Keep in mind that as Mr.IWBF says contractors are now S corps or C corps, but no matter what designation X assigns it still maintains with the exception of a few minor matters absolute power and control and that small corporations one and only customer.
How would you know that? Do you still contract with them?

bacha29

bbsam: I was right there the morning when we were called together and told that we had a limited amount of time to convert to either an S corp or a C corp but no LLC's and as you no doubt know there was no appreciable change in Ground mandates or reguirements as it switched from sole proprietorship contractors to C or S corps.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam: I was right there the morning when we were called together and told that we had a limited amount of time to convert to either an S corp or a C corp but no LLC's and as you no doubt know there was no appreciable change in Ground mandates or reguirements as it switched from sole proprietorship contractors to C or S corps.
I don't see how that answers the questions.

It will be fine

You were free not to. You just wouldn't be able to contract with FedEx anymore.

bacha29

bbsam: I'm going to give it to you straight. When the day comes when you lay on the table a pay and benefit package that equals what UPS offers or at the very least matches what Xpress pays, then and only then will you have a legitmate right to say that you exist for something more than to simply to fuel Ground's addiction to cheap trucking and cheap labor. It is indeed a sad commentary on you as an employer when you won't even match the modest pay and benefit package of nonunion Fedex Express. Now you made be held in high esteem by G even though the only reason you are is because you fuel their addiction . Other than that you are just another low wage employer and those are so abundant that nothing distinguishes you from anyone else in that large group of employers who like you have a completely undeserved sense of self importance.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam: I'm going to give it to you straight. When the day comes when you lay on the table a pay and benefit package that equals what UPS offers or at the very least matches what Xpress pays, then and only then will you have a legitmate right to say that you exist for something more than to simply to fuel Ground's addiction to cheap trucking and cheap labor. It is indeed a sad commentary on you as an employer when you won't even match the modest pay and benefit package of nonunion Fedex Express. Now you made be held in high esteem by G even though the only reason you are is because you fuel their addiction . Other than that you are just another low wage employer and those are so abundant that nothing distinguishes you from anyone else in that large group of employers who like you have a completely undeserved sense of self importance.
I simply don't care what you think of me or of my drivers or of X in general. You failed and now you fail at moving on.

FedGT

Is this where you get your due diligence?

Not going to get much if any support from any contractors here. Just Ex contractors and Express guys.

bacha29

bbsam: you can say any rude or insulting thing about me you want that's because I have moved on but until you put a wage and benefit package on the table that will stand on it's own only then can you say that you are a stand up employer and offers the pay that can back it up there by allowing you to ascend to the level of respect reputable employers enjoy.

It will be fine

bbsam: you can say any rude or insulting thing about me you want that's because I have moved on but until you put a wage and benefit package on the table that will stand on it's own only then can you say that you are a stand up employer and offers the pay that can back it up there by allowing you to ascend to the level of respect reputable employers enjoy.
My wage and benefit package stands on it's own. I know this because people always want the job. Your complaints don't make sense. If the only wage you recognize is UPS then there's only one company that meets that standard in the industry.