Fed EX Working Hours

Nathan Young

I am new to this forum and I a driver who works for a contractor at FHD Anniston, AL for two years now and well our terminal has been going through some negative changes; one is that three drivers have quit since the beginning of the year and I do the longest route of the terminal in mileage; it takes me over 70 miles and 1 ½ to 2 hours of driving to get to my first stop; I do a 15 mile wide rural area with very small towns (Western DeKalb County, AL) and the I drive 30 miles and about a 45 minute drive (narrow mountain steep roads) to get to a large town with a 20 mile wide area (Guntersville, AL) with a huge lake (Lake Guntersville) and narrow mountain roads to contend with.

Well the problem is this takes a very long time to complete and it is tiresome; on Saturday I arrived at the terminal at 7:00 am and left around 9:00 am and did not come back to the terminal till around 11:00 pm; a 16 hour day with no breaks. And this has been going on for a long time now. I have lost business to UPS because I cannot get to the place in time and the area (DeKalb County) is too small for a Fed Ex Ground truck to service.

To get to the point I receive a little more than $400 a week to work 13-16 hours a day (a few times working as late as 1:00 am)with no breaks and I have had customers, government officials, police officers, and even other UPS and Fed Ex drivers who have said you are getting screwed. Some Government officials and customers and even the doctor that does our DOT physicals have contacted officials regarding going over our hours of service and have even been suspended the two days before Christmas because I did not have enough hours left. With being diagnosed with high blood pressure and given my chances of finding another job (I have a hard time finding a job since 2005 when the economy was good and filled out 30+ applications to find my first job); what is the best thing I should do and has any other Fed Ex drivers experienced similar problems.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am new to this forum and I a driver who works for a contractor at FHD Anniston, AL for two years now and well our terminal has been going through some negative changes; one is that three drivers have quit since the beginning of the year and I do the longest route of the terminal in mileage; it takes me over 70 miles and 1 ½ to 2 hours of driving to get to my first stop; I do a 15 mile wide rural area with very small towns (Western DeKalb County, AL) and the I drive 30 miles and about a 45 minute drive (narrow mountain steep roads) to get to a large town with a 20 mile wide area (Guntersville, AL) with a huge lake (Lake Guntersville) and narrow mountain roads to contend with.

Well the problem is this takes a very long time to complete and it is tiresome; on Saturday I arrived at the terminal at 7:00 am and left around 9:00 am and did not come back to the terminal till around 11:00 pm; a 16 hour day with no breaks. And this has been going on for a long time now. I have lost business to UPS because I cannot get to the place in time and the area (DeKalb County) is too small for a Fed Ex Ground truck to service.

To get to the point I receive a little more than $400 a week to work 13-16 hours a day (a few times working as late as 1:00 am)with no breaks and I have had customers, government officials, police officers, and even other UPS and Fed Ex drivers who have said you are getting screwed. Some Government officials and customers and even the doctor that does our DOT physicals have contacted officials regarding going over our hours of service and have even been suspended the two days before Christmas because I did not have enough hours left. With being diagnosed with high blood pressure and given my chances of finding another job (I have a hard time finding a job since 2005 when the economy was good and filled out 30+ applications to find my first job); what is the best thing I should do and has any other Fed Ex drivers experienced similar problems.

Your story illustrates the basic problem with Ground, which is the blatant exploitation of it's workers. Yes, you are getting screwed, and that's the beauty of the system to Mr. Smith, because he gets to pay you half what you're worth by pretending that FedEx Ground is run by contractors instead of the FedEx corporate offices. The contractor gets some of the cream off the top, and Fred gets the rest, and what do you get? Nothing. Unfortunately, that's the way it was designed from the get-go. Fred has "employees" who are off the books, and he gets to undercut UPS on price because he can screw you over the way he does. That's just wrong.

bbsam

Staff member
MFE, why be so disingenuous? Why not let young Nathan here know what you truly think of Ground drivers? The way you usually speak of them, they are tattooed ex-cons and from your professional opinion the current crop probably doesnt rate above $400 a week. Is that why you don't suggest he looks into transfering to Express?

vantexan

MFE, why be so disingenuous? Why not let young Nathan here know what you truly think of Ground drivers? The way you usually speak of them, they are tattooed ex-cons and from your professional opinion the current crop probably doesnt rate above $400 a week. Is that why you don't suggest he looks into transfering to Express?

I've pointed out that on average many newhires I've seen in recent years don't measure up ability wise to people hired in the past. Doesn't mean they're bad people. Alot of people come in expecting more than what they'll get, but in many areas of the country they'll take whatever they can get. That was true in many places before the economy tanked. There are those who want good money to do little. It says alot about their character that people, especially at Ground, are willing to do much for little. It often is what's available in their area, and they do what they have to to support their family. Some might be a little rough around the edges, but that comes from a lifetime of making do with the hand they're dealt. They're passing drug screens, showing up every day, knowing they're being exploited and just dealing with it. Good people. Ground drivers are respected by most Express couriers because we know what they're doing without. I can't imagine lasting as long as I have without my benefits. Would've become a truck driver if FedEx had taken everything away years ago.

bbsam

Staff member
I've pointed out that on average many newhires I've seen in recent years don't measure up ability wise to people hired in the past. Doesn't mean they're bad people. Alot of people come in expecting more than what they'll get, but in many areas of the country they'll take whatever they can get. That was true in many places before the economy tanked. There are those who want good money to do little. It says alot about their character that people, especially at Ground, are willing to do much for little. It often is what's available in their area, and they do what they have to to support their family. Some might be a little rough around the edges, but that comes from a lifetime of making do with the hand they're dealt. They're passing drug screens, showing up every day, knowing they're being exploited and just dealing with it. Good people. Ground drivers are respected by most Express couriers because we know what they're doing without. I can't imagine lasting as long as I have without my benefits. Would've become a truck driver if FedEx had taken everything away years ago.
I disagree with none of this. But MFE is on record around here as degrading the people at Ground. Not once has he ever come close to a sentence like, "Ground drivers are respected by most Express couriers because we know they're doing without." In fact not only does MFE not seem to understand the position most Ground drivers find themselves in, but doesn't even believe they could handle an Express route for a day. But he seems to be singing a different tune now.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I disagree with none of this. But MFE is on record around here as degrading the people at Ground. Not once has he ever come close to a sentence like, "Ground drivers are respected by most Express couriers because we know they're doing without." In fact not only does MFE not seem to understand the position most Ground drivers find themselves in, but doesn't even believe they could handle an Express route for a day. But he seems to be singing a different tune now.

Thanks for the tarring and feathering. No different tune here. In general, as in most of the time, (but not always), Ground drivers do not measure-up, whether it be in appearance, ability, or both. Please tell me how I've degraded Mr Young? My point in my response is that he is getting screwed by a system that is absolutely designed to do just that...screw the employee. I don't care if he's got tattoos and a ZZ Top beard that's 2 feet long, which probably isn't that uncommon over at Ground.

Why don't you tell us (in round numbers) your weekly take? I'm guessing that your profit margin is pretty healthy, and that you could probably afford to pay more. But that's not part of the equation, is it? My most intense criticism is reserved for FedEx, because they know exacty what they're doing and how shoddily the Ground drivers get treated.

Like I've said before, I can hardly wait for the economy to improve to the point that all of your people just walk away.

FedEx2000

You need to have a good talk with your Contractor, if what you say is true I would think it would be in his best interest to add another route within your area. Otherwise you will lose enough customers in your area that running your route may not even be profitable for him. Also, I don't think I've heard of any other Ground drivers only making $400/week, especially after 2 years. Your contractor is definitely taking advantage of you. Maybe if you threaten to quit so that he would have to run the route himself, I don't know what it would take.....but he/she does not sound like an honest person whatsoever. No one should have to work that long of a day for that kind of money.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You need to have a good talk with your Contractor, if what you say is true I would think it would be in his best interest to add another route within your area. Otherwise you will lose enough customers in your area that running your route may not even be profitable for him. Also, I don't think I've heard of any other Ground drivers only making $400/week, especially after 2 years. Your contractor is definitely taking advantage of you. Maybe if you threaten to quit so that he would have to run the route himself, I don't know what it would take.....but he/she does not sound like an honest person whatsoever. No one should have to work that long of a day for that kind of money.

Yes.

bbsam

Staff member
Thanks for the tarring and feathering. No different tune here. In general, as in most of the time, (but not always), Ground drivers do not measure-up, whether it be in appearance, ability, or both. Please tell me how I've degraded Mr Young? My point in my response is that he is getting screwed by a system that is absolutely designed to do just that...screw the employee. I don't care if he's got tattoos and a ZZ Top beard that's 2 feet long, which probably isn't that uncommon over at Ground.

Why don't you tell us (in round numbers) your weekly take? I'm guessing that your profit margin is pretty healthy, and that you could probably afford to pay more. But that's not part of the equation, is it? My most intense criticism is reserved for FedEx, because they know exacty what they're doing and how shoddily the Ground drivers get treated.

Like I've said before, I can hardly wait for the economy to improve to the point that all of your people just walk away.

That's right. You haven't degraded Mr. Young. That's what I'm saying. You are very polite to him, but we know what you really think of Ground drivers.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
All the ground drivers I know are hard working, personable people. Why they are not applying at Express is beyond me, heck, we're hiring. I got on board by just getting on the website and filling out the questionnaire.

bbsam

Staff member
All the ground drivers I know are hard working, personable people. Why they are not applying at Express is beyond me, heck, we're hiring. I got on board by just getting on the website and filling out the questionnaire.

I don't know either. Maybe 267 will chime in.

northeast swing driver

Why would MFE ever say that ground drivers are respected by express drivers. They are not respected. Ground is unprofessional and gives Express a bad name. Personally I am embarrassed to be associated with ground. I pull in the bldg the other day and the ground guy is there grabbing his customer dropped off freight. Guy looks at me and says "Give me a hand with this. It's heavy." Just laughed at him and walked away. Most are tattooed ex cons from the looks of them. Straight out of a 30 day inpatient program.

bbsam

Staff member
Why would MFE ever say that ground drivers are respected by express drivers. They are not respected. Ground is unprofessional and gives Express a bad name. Personally I am embarrassed to be associated with ground. I pull in the bldg the other day and the ground guy is there grabbing his customer dropped off freight. Guy looks at me and says "Give me a hand with this. It's heavy." Just laughed at him and walked away. Most are tattooed ex cons from the looks of them. Straight out of a 30 day inpatient program.
Read the posts. I was replying to vantexan. He suggested that most Express drivers respect Ground driver. Perhaps he is mistaken. That's ok though. While I like the Express drivers I've come into contact with, I'm not impressed with their little "morning routes" and "pickup routes".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Read the posts. I was replying to vantexan. He suggested that most Express drivers respect Ground driver. Perhaps he is mistaken. That's ok though. While I like the Express drivers I've come into contact with, I'm not impressed with their little "morning routes" and "pickup routes".

The big difference between Express and Ground is that we have "hard" commitment times, as in 1030, 1500, or even earlier for FO. Ground is lucky if they even get in there on the right day, never mind within a very tight time window. While I respect some Ground drivers, my general take is that they make the rest of the company look bad. I'd like to see a Ground person get 50 stops off between 0815 and 1030. Oh, and these aren't right next door to each other either. Plus, since we cannot mix "stand-alone" sevices, we might have to hit the same building twice. Once before 1030, and again before 1500. Oh, and our on-call pickups are instant, as in the customer calls at 1459 in a 1500 cut-off area, and we have to pick them up before 1700..the same day. Your people would be unable to get half of it done. You don't have a clue what Express is like.

vantexan

I don't think there's an "Express" gene anymore than I think there's an "UPS" gene. Probably many Ground guys aren't going to work at Express due to background issues or maybe for some Express is too regimented. But if a guy is willing to work 60+ hrs for 40 hrs worth of pay, and does an honest job, he shouldn't have any problem doing Express routes. I've met some great Ground people and a couple of wacky ones. Really not fair to paint them all with the same brush because of the threat we perceive that division is to our future livelihood. They are just people taking what they can get and I doubt any of them would turn down better pay and benefits if it were offered.

bbsam

Staff member

LOL. That's the attitude that was noticeably missing in your first post.

northeast swing driver

I don't think there's an "Express" gene anymore than I think there's an "UPS" gene. Probably many Ground guys aren't going to work at Express due to background issues or maybe for some Express is too regimented. But if a guy is willing to work 60+ hrs for 40 hrs worth of pay, and does an honest job, he shouldn't have any problem doing Express routes. I've met some great Ground people and a couple of wacky ones. Really not fair to paint them all with the same brush because of the threat we perceive that division is to our future livelihood. They are just people taking what they can get and I doubt any of them would turn down better pay and benefits if it were offered.
BINGO. Being a DOT driver I get hit with surprise whiz quizzes whenever mgmt sees fit. The fact that they are random is a bunch of BS. Most of the ground guys I see on the road would be bailing at the first request for a sample.

bbsam

Staff member
I notice that my question on your income went unanswered.
I don't make a habit of posting my income on the 'net. I've already admitted that I could drive a Mercedes but never would. Could eat at Texas Roadhouse, but prefer peanutbutter and jelly. And I don't bat an eye at paying $1000 for Bears tickets. That's about the extent of my livin' large. (Couldn't bring myself to buy the Camaro or the Mustang. Haven't stopped looking, but haven't stopped at the dealership yet either.)