Fed Expectations

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
tomorrow they announce this past quarter. i expect a decline in air volume/revnue and an increase in ground.

ground packages that were once UPS.

bbsam

Staff member
maybe the small ones. the million dollar accounts rarely switch often.

fedex butters up to the big ones in ways that it would make you sick.
this is true. as a contractor for fedex, i was able to get the company to create a route for the sole purpose of servicing a multi-million dollar office equipment company that has remained with us for the past 5 years. "What can brown do for me?" keep it up with the complacent attitude that "they'll come back to us." do you realize how many customers we still have from that little strike you had a few years ago? ask upssalesguy how easy it was to get those customers back (the ones you did get back i mean).:happy-very:

wisedragonfly

this is true. as a contractor for fedex, i was able to get the company to create a route for the sole purpose of servicing a multi-million dollar office equipment company that has remained with us for the past 5 years. "What can brown do for me?" keep it up with the complacent attitude that "they'll come back to us." do you realize how many customers we still have from that little strike you had a few years ago? ask upssalesguy how easy it was to get those customers back (the ones you did get back i mean).:happy-very:

Teamsters don't like to admit that we lost volume due to that strike that we never regained. It is a true fact!

dragracer66

We will see how happy you are in the next few weeks when the senate passes that bill against fed ex. You as a contractor will be one of the first tossed out in the street. And when fed ex does enventually get organized guess who's going to pick up a boat load of fed ex accounts!!! But good news for you contractors ups is always hiring toilet bowl cleaners and waste pickup engineers!!!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I don't know why everyone wishing for FDX to report falling numbers, UPS didn't exactly have earnings that look decent lately.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Teamsters don't like to admit that we lost volume due to that strike that we never regained. It is a true fact!
How much more in profits has UPS earned since the strike in 97? Around 30 billion give or take a million.

How many more full time jobs do we have over that strike?

And I also remember that the other delivery companies combined would not handle our packages! If fedex closed up to day we could just about absorb it right in without blinking an eye! Not that I want to see this happen.

upsgrunt

I don't- and it wouldn't be "just about" it would be all in. UPS could do it and would do whatever it took to get it done. An opportunity like that would get jumped on.

bbsam

Staff member
We will see how happy you are in the next few weeks when the senate passes that bill against fed ex. You as a contractor will be one of the first tossed out in the street. And when fed ex does enventually get organized guess who's going to pick up a boat load of fed ex accounts!!! But good news for you contractors ups is always hiring toilet bowl cleaners and waste pickup engineers!!!
the "cheap" contractor will be one of the "first tossed out in the street"? so that fred can hire the more expensive and more susceptible to unionization hourly workers? really? do you have any idea of how economics works, and if so why on earth would fedex jettison the less expensive labor for the more expensive? and just so you know, should your scenario play out, i'm not too proud to clean toilets and pick up gargage. i'd even stoop low enough to turn some wrenches as a mechanic at ups.:happy-very:

You are probably right that the Teamsters don't like to admit that there was volume lost from the strike and is is true some of them never came back.
What UPS management will not admit is that the company's fearless leader planned for the strike and would not do what needed to be done to prevent it.
The strike was as much the company's doing as the union's.

brownIEman

You are probably right that the Teamsters don't like to admit that there was volume lost from the strike and is is true some of them never came back.
What UPS management will not admit is that the company's fearless leader planned for the strike and would not do what needed to be done to prevent it.
The strike was as much the company's doing as the union's.

The same can be said of the Teamster's leadership.

The big thing imo that the Teamsters will never admit is that everything that was gained in that contract could have been had WITHOUT striking. It would have taken longer, meant working under the old contract past the expiration. That was done in the past, and UPS asked for it to happend in '97, the Teamsters refused.

In any event, hopefully hard leasons were learned by both sides. The fact that this past contract was penned months AHEAD of the expiration leads me to believe they were.