Fedex 70 Hours of Service Vs. UPS 60 Hours of Service

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
hey guys/gals

why does FedEx run their couriers/delivery personnel to max out at 70 hours

vs a UPS package delivery driver's 60 hours per week?

just curious ~ that's all

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
hey guys/gals

why does FedEx run their couriers/delivery personnel to max out at 70 hours

vs a UPS package delivery driver's 60 hours per week?

just curious ~ that's all

Express is maxed out at 60. Can't speak for Ground.

Correction.... Used to be 60 hours and it varies station to station. FedEx decided that anyone driving a Sprinter or van is no longer DOT certified so the hours thing can change as needed. Currently, at my station, we are not allowed to go over 12 hrs a day.

It will be fine

We're only allowed to go 70 because that pesky DOT says that's the limit before a 36 hr reset period.
I'm guessing the teamsters have something to do with a 60 hr limit at brown. That and I'm sure the shareholders would not like 30 hrs of OT for a top rate UPS driver.

STFXG

60 hours for 7 days. We use the 70 hours for 8 days schedule. Since we generally don't run on Sunday we get the 34 hour reset there. It really just gives an extra 10 hours to run. Not sure why UPS doesn't do the same.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
60 hours for 7 days. We use the 70 hours for 8 days schedule. Since we generally don't run on Sunday we get the 34 hour reset there. It really just gives an extra 10 hours to run. Not sure why UPS doesn't do the same.

scratches head... yea that's what i was guessing too

but i guess they don't want to pay their guys OT rate for another 10 extra hours per driver... i've read somewhere where UPS will start running similar schedules like FX HD (tues-sat)

most drivers at my HD terminal are around 50-60 hours only. the few that max to 70 are the ones with extended commute to their first stop (but hey, they can lie on their scanners about on-duty time)