FedEx bigger than UPS?

Feederdrivermack

BrownSuit, the one point you failed to mention is that with UPS NDA letter shippers can stuff as much as they can fit in to the envelope and as long as it tapes shut we will only charge them the letter rate whereas FedEx charges by the actual weight for their letters.

I am not sure that is the case anymore. I have seen stamps on nda,2da packages that show there was a charge by that department.

Feederdrivermack

I think part of bad UAW PR is that when the big 3 were really hurting a few months back, the UAW was unwilling to come to the table to financially help the companies. They were insisting on keeping everything in their contract and making the companies either get a bailout from the government or go completely under.

I dont think fingerpointing blame on the union evertime there is there is a problem is a solution either. People are buying the Jap cars for a reason other than price and we all know it. Look at how much the US imports compared to what it exports, you would be amazed.(ex Walmart)

Treegrower

So you think you are something special and your thread should be treated differently than all others?
Not at all. I don't come to this site all that often, but when I see a thread that interests me I'll read through it and follow it along. But after a few posts the original idea or thread is transformed into something that in no way even resembles the original thought or context of the thread.
I didn't start the original thread on this matter I just wanted to repond to the original accusation that the UAW refused to bargain.
It must make YOU feel special to try to slap me down. Go ahead and enjoy.

skir

Los Angeles CA
If the ground packages are so important, maybe UPS supervisors should think twice about cutting routes on Mondays and Fridays that have alot of commercial packages. When we first start PAS, the customers went nuts when we had to follow trace. They usually would get a 1130 am delivery so they could turn around the shipments and resend them out. Well, UPS had an answer for that problem, and it wasnt a good one. I think UPS really needs to open its eyes and see what is realy going on.

I agree. Also customers get mad at us, like it was our fault we got thier late.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Not at all. I don't come to this site all that often, but when I see a thread that interests me I'll read through it and follow it along. But after a few posts the original idea or thread is transformed into something that in no way even resembles the original thought or context of the thread.
I didn't start the original thread on this matter I just wanted to repond to the original accusation that the UAW refused to bargain.
I think that it is kind of like a conversation. Maybe someone's response triggers another response that might be somewhat off topic but still interesting and informative. I don't think it is a deliberate attempt to disrail your thread. Take it for what it is and try to glean any information you can out of all the posts.:happy2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I'm enjoying ... not from slapping you down though! :funny:

My original reply was facetious ... you've been hoaxed :wink2:

All threads seem to stray off topic ... that was the intent of my reply. In you face. :happy-very:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The earlier post that said that FedEx has much better employee relations than UPS is in error. While there are still some people that think FedEx is a good place to work, most of us feel otherwise. Maybe Brown runs you hard, but you've got much better pay and benefits, including an actual retirement program you can live on. I wish I had been willing to wait it out and be a package handler for a few years instead of choosing FedEx and going straight to driver.

If you compare feeder jobs, we stack-up even worse. Our RTD's are lucky if they even get 40 hrs a week, and most of our long runs have been subbed-out to Swift and other truckers. Our guys are almost exclusively local, and many are part-time. Being a Teamster means that management would have a hard time doing the same thing to UPS feeder drivers. Most FT RTD's make around $50,000 per year, and that's topped-out. What a joke.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Better get out your encyclopedias and dictionaries and whatever else you can find if you're gonna get in a battle of wits with hoax.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Looks like fed ex won some lawsuits on the contracter case. Not looking good.

I'm not a lawyer, but the Reuters article appeared to indicate that the US Court of Appeals has ruled Ground drivers to be contractors who are cannot be organized under the NLRB. Does that mean that this will eventually get to the Supreme Court?

Note to Teamsters leadership: Perhaps you should get your sheet in order so you don't blow your opportunity to organize Express too.

drewed

Shankman
I'm not a lawyer, but the Reuters article appeared to indicate that the US Court of Appeals has ruled Ground drivers to be contractors who are cannot be organized under the NLRB. Does that mean that this will eventually get to the Supreme Court?

Note to Teamsters leadership: Perhaps you should get your sheet in order so you don't blow your opportunity to organize Express too.
It could I believe the court has selected their cases for this session though, they may add one like they did with the election in 00' or the vegetable state lady ( I apologize I forget her name).....has the supreme court ever heard a labor arguement before?

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
UPS vs FedEx rates------most of the Fed Ex customers are on some type of special discounts.UPS is very selective regarding discounts---and it always comes down to "Cost to Serve"--this is where FedEx kickss our butts because their cost (mostly lower labor costs) is much lower than UPS. I feel that we provide better service--and we need to continue to do so---but when it comes to the bottom line---customers will give up some service to save $$$$$$$$$$$$!! We recently lost the State of Calif to lower rates---a ton of business---also Federal Gov't uses FedEx because of much lower rates they can offer-------------if UPS would come in and lower their rates below FedEx--we would be sued for predatory pricing------as in charging rates that are lower than our cost to serve!!

BrownSuit

BrownSuit, the one point you failed to mention is that with UPS NDA letter shippers can stuff as much as they can fit in to the envelope and as long as it tapes shut we will only charge them the letter rate whereas FedEx charges by the actual weight for their letters.

This is very true and a good distinction. On some agreements with Customer's FedEx is actually using a letter rate regardless of weight, but it's very uncommon and requires special pricing.

The UPS side as was mentioned in other threads has become messy a little due to increased efforts by Revenue Recovery. Items such as CD's, Paychecks (Large numbers), large amounts of paper, are getting ding'd more commonly at the 1# rate these days. The shipper can call 800 and request a credit, but most of the time . . .

I realize that we have to maintain profitability and revenue during this difficult time, but it seems that by increasing our revenue policing we are just alienating customers.

I am not sure that is the case anymore. I have seen stamps on nda,2da packages that show there was a charge by that department.

See above, if I remember correctly, no weight limit does not apply to 2DA. Those packages get billed at actual if over 1#. That may have changed recently or I may be off base.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS vs FedEx rates------most of the Fed Ex customers are on some type of special discounts.UPS is very selective regarding discounts---and it always comes down to "Cost to Serve"--this is where FedEx kickss our butts because their cost (mostly lower labor costs) is much lower than UPS. I feel that we provide better service--and we need to continue to do so---but when it comes to the bottom line---customers will give up some service to save $$$$$$$$$$$$!! We recently lost the State of Calif to lower rates---a ton of business---also Federal Gov't uses FedEx because of much lower rates they can offer-------------if UPS would come in and lower their rates below FedEx--we would be sued for predatory pricing------as in charging rates that are lower than our cost to serve!!

But there have been times where fedex has totally undercut accounts of ups...and most likely lost money, so why doesnt ups check into this??