FedEX buying back Ground Routes

bbsam

Staff member
Yep that all goes with being a employee. As it stands know we will not do it because they are not the boss, even though we get the never ending harassing from them because they like to think they run the show. Its simple I get a hourly rate, OT, Paid holidays, Vacation, and benefits I will then do what you want. Not until then
Really? Cause MFE gets all that and he still hates it. I have a feeling you still wouldn't be satisfied.

FedExer267

Really? Cause MFE gets all that and he still hates it. I have a feeling you still wouldn't be satisfied.

Well bbsam after scrapping the bottom of the barrel to get by this would be to my benefit. Actually paid for my time which is something Contractors dont get. Plus like I said we would have the ability to go union which is probally the first thing that would get done a union voted in. I will gladly pay union dues for benefits, job security, and a living wage. It is a benefit to me and my family to know that I would have a career not a job. If this is indeed the case then I will gladly do my job because I am now a employee who will get paid for every minute I am on the clock.
Does make me wonder though if they would change the 70 hour rule to the 60 hour rule like Express and Ups.

bbsam

Staff member
Step outside the Fedex forum of BC and peruse around other threads. Not all wonderful there either. And that company control could start to feel terribly oppressive pretty quickly.

FedExer267

Thats the way I suspect it has always been with any workplace. However at the end of the day they are the highest paid in the industry with a killer benefit package. We all have our days at work as I suspect UPS drivers do to but when they step back and look at the big picture and go home everyday to house they own with nice things they know where that came from, their carrer as a UPS driver because they definetly would not be in that position if they worked at Ground.

UPS figured out along time ago that happy employees make for more profit because you have employees who excel at their job and appreciate the lifestyle they recieve for their hard work. A happy employee equals more profit for you, if someone truly enjoys their job and gets compensated well for it they are going to go above and beyond whats expected unlike the guys that do the same job for chump change. Which is why the founder of UPS probally invited the teamsters in in the first place.

I will give you that there are a few who truly will never be happy however you invite them to come work at Ground for a week and they will see how truly good they have it.

bbsam

Staff member
Had the founder of UPS been able to see the future, suffice it to say he would not have invited in the Teamsters. Your "pie in the sky" understanding of union history is rather troubling in one so eager to see them.

beentheredonethat

The thing that makes me dubious about the story is that a manager high enough to have that kind of information would be having that conversation with a driver.
I agree I'm a bit dubious. Also, a change this significant usually isn't shared with lower level management until it is about to be implemented and FDX announces this to the world. This would alter their business model significantly, (weather for the better or worse or FDX is unknown). But, I would think this would be considered insider information that the SEC would monitor.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I agree I'm a bit dubious. Also, a change this significant usually isn't shared with lower level management until it is about to be implemented and FDX announces this to the world. This would alter their business model significantly, (weather for the better or worse or FDX is unknown). But, I would think this would be considered insider information that the SEC would monitor.

If FedEx starts vehemently denying the annexation of Ground, then I'd start to believe strongly in the rumor. Actually, it would allow them to integrate services at Express and Ground and also openly use Express aircraft and vehicles to haul Ground. This already happens, but it would no longer have to be covered-up. The Express contract truck routes currently run by Pride, Swift, MS Carriers etc, could be run by Ground. Plus, all of the potential lawsuits in the pipeline over the employee vs non-employee issue would be neutered.

Hey, bbsam. If any of this happens, give us a report from beneath the bus, OK? Fred will try and throw you under the wheels, but if you're quick enough, the bus could pass right over you.

vantexan

I don't see it unless at least one of 2 things happen. Either it's more profitable to do it that way or they are being forced into it by the courts. What I do know is how manipulative many FedEx mgrs are. If there's alot of turnover, and a well placed white lie would keep drivers around for months anticipating a better deal, well I wouldn't put it past a mgr to put that out there.

FedExer267, have you applied for Express jobs in your area? You've been at Ground awhile now.

bbsam

Staff member
If there is any truth to it, nobody at the regional level knows anythinng about it. They are still going full bore into ISP transition and if they are buying out the contractors, why bother. Alot of wasted time and money there.

FedExer267

I don't see it unless at least one of 2 things happen. Either it's more profitable to do it that way or they are being forced into it by the courts. What I do know is how manipulative many FedEx mgrs are. If there's alot of turnover, and a well placed white lie would keep drivers around for months anticipating a better deal, well I wouldn't put it past a mgr to put that out there.

FedExer267, have you applied for Express jobs in your area? You've been at Ground awhile now.

Who knows Van could be a combination of the courts, State Attorney Generals, and the IRS. Its all strictly speculation at this point but it will be intresting to see if this does roll out. I guess I might have to keep my ears open Monday morning in the terminal.

bbsam

Staff member
Who knows Van could be a combination of the courts, State Attorney Generals, and the IRS. Its all strictly speculation at this point but it will be intresting to see if this does roll out. I guess I might have to keep my ears open Monday morning in the terminal.

Why? Everyone will be gone by the time you show up.:wink2:

FedExer267

I may have to bite the bullet and go in early just to see if there is indeed a rumor afloat. Thats the problem with showing up when I do everyone is already gone so I dont hear these rumors.

FedExer267

I would go in early and stay late to if I actually got paid to do so. I give exactly what I am paid for. Thats just human nature.

LTFedExer

Has anyone considered the thought that FedEx might:
1. Buy the routes. Be it at a fair or unfair price
2. Eliminate the Ground terminals, drivers, etc
3. Consolidate Ground and Express.......like UPS does.
Now this would open the door for UPS's argument to reclassify FedEx, thereby making it possible for the union to organize FedEx workers.....like UPS.
Should #'s 2 & 3 NOT happen and things stay 'as is', then operating costs for Ground would go up (medical benefits, vacations, etc), diluting any profits they make now because now the IC's and their drivers become employees.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Has anyone considered the thought that FedEx might:
1. Buy the routes. Be it at a fair or unfair price
2. Eliminate the Ground terminals, drivers, etc
3. Consolidate Ground and Express.......like UPS does.
Now this would open the door for UPS's argument to reclassify FedEx, thereby making it possible for the union to organize FedEx workers.....like UPS.
Should #'s 2 & 3 NOT happen and things stay 'as is', then operating costs for Ground would go up (medical benefits, vacations, etc), diluting any profits they make now because now the IC's and their drivers become employees.

Here's a question we should all consider. Why would Fred want to do any of this? We are talking WalMart here, and FredMart or WalExpress doesn't ever part with a penny it doesn't have to...especially when it comes to employees. The only way that Fred buys-out Ground contractors would be in the event the ISP model is found to be illegal. Maybe Fred sees the writing on the wall, and wants the ability to hold Ground to Express standards (speak English, deliver the pkg to the actual address, etc), but it seems far-fetched that he'd give up the huge competitive advantage Ground has over UPS in terms of operating costs.

bbsam

Staff member
But first that ISP model hasn't even been challenged and second Ground is in the process of converting several states to the ISP model at considerable cost. None of this makes any sense. I think if anything a managemen yahoo heard something and repeated it and somewhere down the line nationwide ISP conversion plans became "buying out the contractors". Which to some degree does take place for the majority of the contractors only not by the company, but by the ISP candidates.

tracker2762

Had the founder of UPS been able to see the future, suffice it to say he would not have invited in the Teamsters. Your "pie in the sky" understanding of union history is rather troubling in one so eager to see them.

He saw the future, it was Fedex Ground and he didn't want his company to look like that.