Fedex careers?

quadro

I was required to take my remaining sick days(4) before I went on short-term disability.
That's correct. You have to use any remaining sick days before you go on short-term disability. In fact, you have to be out 7 calendar days before STD. That's irrelevant as far as your review goes. Just because you used sick days, you don't necessarily take a hit on your review. Were you given FMLA paperwork? If so, did you complete it and send it back? If your manager didn't give you the paperwork, you need to talk to your HR and HCMP people. If they didn't give you paperwork, your absence will pretty much automatically be counted as FMLA (which, as long as you qualify, it probably would anyway). This means that the sick days and leave cannot be counted against you on your review.
As to discussing what my mgr said to me with HR, I did. To be exact I went to my mgr and asked if it's possible to withdraw from the position I had accepted due to not being able to find anything affordable in that area that wasn't immediately grabbed by someone local. That landlords weren't willing to deal with someone from out of state when they had 3 or 4 prospective tenants there(very popular beach/university town). Happened over and over. Mgr said he would ask HR, sent me msg saying HR said I could withdraw up to the reporting date. When I saw mgr that night asked him what did I need to do besides withdraw on the computer. Told me to contact hiring mgr AND SAID THERE MAY BE A TIME PENALTY INVOLVED(exact words). I asked him how much is that? HE REPLIED HE DIDN'T KNOW, WOULD HAVE TO ASK HR.
I've only seen this once or twice. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen more often but I think it is the exception rather than the rule. This being someone signing an offer letter and then withdrawing. So maybe your manager has never dealt with it before and genuinely didn't know the policy. Either way, you had already signed the offer letter and made the decision not to go.
It never occured to me that he might be trying to evade giving answer.
Why would he need to evade giving you an answer? You already signed the letter and made the decision not to go.
He knew I was trying to get near my mom and sister. At any rate I should have gotten the answer before I withdrew. But that would still leave me having to find a place to live. And as FedEx doesn't tell you in JCATS that you'll be penalized a whole year, they really put you between a rock and a hard place.
Yes it would leave you having to find a place to live which you already said you couldn't afford to do. JCATS might not tell you but policy does. And, no, I don't expect everyone to know all the policies. However, if you had any doubt that you might not want the position, asking before you sign would be a common sense thing to do. You are after all signing an offer letter that has stipulations and commitments. Why would you treat it as something the manager takes home and puts on the fridge next to his kid's pictures?
So 2 days after I withdrew there's an opening for a domiciled courier slightly farther than the other from my mom but with a much better cost of living. So I put in for it, then tell my mgr about it. He's saying no I can't. I point out that hiring mgr of previous posting never contacted him, which policy clearly states he must. That I was just in system as "verified", he never entered that position was filled. My mgr calls HR. She tells me that only thing that matters is I put my signature on the offer letter accepting it, doesn't matter that hiring mgr didn't follow policy. She shows up that Wedsnday and we have conference. She tells me she'll ask her boss about the policy and get back with me if exception can be made. I don't hear anything until I called her Friday morning and she says her boss "is on a conference call.". Said she call that afternoon but I call back at 1730 after hearing nothing. She seems irritated, says it's under review, and agrees that I'm not going to get an answer before job closes out that night. She mentions possibility of getting future hardship transfer based on my needs. I say I'm going GFT rt. Decide to call district director and left 2 long msgs. He calls me at home Sunday morning and we have good discussion. But I point out a hardship transfer will just land me in a rt that no one wants and that I'm just not able anymore, that they aren't going to create anything special for me.
And they shouldn't create anything special for you. That's how multi-million $$ lawsuits get started.
That's why I wanted that rural domicile so bad. He agrees that's likely the case. Said he would look into it and sounded like he meant it but I told him if it's too late for that posting there's no point going further with it. If he's done anything I haven't heard. Oh, HR rep told me I should have been aware of the policy of being disqualified from applying for one year after withdrawing from an offer letter I accepted. I pointed out my mgr said he didn't know what the penalty was. Got an odd look. Also told her and director about being lied to before coming go this station, as well as having to go to HR(in previous district) to get current rt as he tried to prevent me from getting it. He called me at home to read the policy to me by the way after I applied for the domicile. I said to him then that with my health issues and trying to get near family why not just let me go?
Because that would be giving you special treatment that isn't given to other employees. At least with a hardship there is substantial documentation indicating why a person's need is overwhelmingly greater than that of the average person. Things such as you being the only person that can take care of a dying relative. To "just let you go" wouldn't be fair to other people who have time commitments. Why should you be allowed to go and not them?
He talked about how I got everything I wanted when I GFTed him shortly after transferring in. I told him that wasn't true and now I'm seeing all of this as a little getting even for going over his head twice, and being able to use policy to do it. So there you go.
I can't tell you for sure that he is or is not holding a grudge but everything you've stated boils down to a few things:
1. You've misunderstood how the attendance policy works
2. You signed an offer letter without doing due diligence
3. You realized your mistake and are looking for someone to bail you out
4. You want policy followed except when it comes to you

Seems to be a common thread in your career. Take some responsibility for your actions and accept the consequences of those actions.

vantexan

You don't have a clue and judging by your post seems you've built up a little resentment too. Twist things all you want but you can't get around fact that company you are so fiercely loyal to isn't the same for those of us in mid-range. I think you'd feel very differently if you were in circumstances I've found myself in and it's a hallmark of abusive personalities to place blame on the abused rather than admit they have a problem. All I can say is that I've worked extremely hard over the years, been tops in productivity everywhere I've been including in those situations where mgrs were violating policy, abusing me and others, and even defrauding customers. I've known good and honorable mgrs but I've run into so many bad situations I can't help but conclude there's a systemic problem. How that's my fault is beyond me. As for only caring about myself I've spent many years taking freight from others, giving up my days off to others many times, working on holidays because if I didn't someone else would've been forced to and I didn't live near relatives so alone anyways. I've suffered abuse many times at the hands of fellow employees who resented my hard work, no guessing here, been told that many times. I've never married and have had to endure suggestions over and over that I'm gay and even had Hispanic coworker say in front of other coworkers that I could go to Mexico and get a little boy for $10. I've put up with :censored2: you can't imagine but I've always believed that I should earn my money and have an obligation to work hard no matter what's done to me. You think you know but you don't. But I do know this. When I walk away I can say I've earned every penny and if things aren't right I've earned the right to point them out. If that bugs you so be it. And now that I've got health issues I will look to be near family and try every avenue possible to get there. No one has given me anything all these years and I saw no exceptions being made for me when I was working in ungodly conditions. I doubt seriously that you would've held up in 105 degree heat with high humidity running like a madman and getting off late at night. But that's good enough for me, after all I'm just a mid-range second class citizen who should be thankful FedEx allows me to work for them. Have a nice weekend amigo.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's correct. You have to use any remaining sick days before you go on short-term disability. In fact, you have to be out 7 calendar days before STD. That's irrelevant as far as your review goes. Just because you used sick days, you don't necessarily take a hit on your review. Were you given FMLA paperwork? If so, did you complete it and send it back? If your manager didn't give you the paperwork, you need to talk to your HR and HCMP people. If they didn't give you paperwork, your absence will pretty much automatically be counted as FMLA (which, as long as you qualify, it probably would anyway). This means that the sick days and leave cannot be counted against you on your review.

I've only seen this once or twice. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen more often but I think it is the exception rather than the rule. This being someone signing an offer letter and then withdrawing. So maybe your manager has never dealt with it before and genuinely didn't know the policy. Either way, you had already signed the offer letter and made the decision not to go.

Why would he need to evade giving you an answer? You already signed the letter and made the decision not to go.

Yes it would leave you having to find a place to live which you already said you couldn't afford to do. JCATS might not tell you but policy does. And, no, I don't expect everyone to know all the policies. However, if you had any doubt that you might not want the position, asking before you sign would be a common sense thing to do. You are after all signing an offer letter that has stipulations and commitments. Why would you treat it as something the manager takes home and puts on the fridge next to his kid's pictures?

And they shouldn't create anything special for you. That's how multi-million $$ lawsuits get started.

Because that would be giving you special treatment that isn't given to other employees. At least with a hardship there is substantial documentation indicating why a person's need is overwhelmingly greater than that of the average person. Things such as you being the only person that can take care of a dying relative. To "just let you go" wouldn't be fair to other people who have time commitments. Why should you be allowed to go and not them?

I can't tell you for sure that he is or is not holding a grudge but everything you've stated boils down to a few things:
1. You've misunderstood how the attendance policy works
2. You signed an offer letter without doing due diligence
3. You realized your mistake and are looking for someone to bail you out
4. You want policy followed except when it comes to you

Seems to be a common thread in your career. Take some responsibility for your actions and accept the consequences of those actions.

For someone who claims they aren't a manager, you sound exactly like a manager. Why does that smell bad?

quadro

You don't have a clue and judging by your post seems you've built up a little resentment too. Twist things all you want but you can't get around fact that company you are so fiercely loyal to isn't the same for those of us in mid-range. I think you'd feel very differently if you were in circumstances I've found myself in and it's a hallmark of abusive personalities to place blame on the abused rather than admit they have a problem. All I can say is that I've worked extremely hard over the years, been tops in productivity everywhere I've been including in those situations where mgrs were violating policy, abusing me and others, and even defrauding customers. I've known good and honorable mgrs but I've run into so many bad situations I can't help but conclude there's a systemic problem. How that's my fault is beyond me. As for only caring about myself I've spent many years taking freight from others, giving up my days off to others many times, working on holidays because if I didn't someone else would've been forced to and I didn't live near relatives so alone anyways. I've suffered abuse many times at the hands of fellow employees who resented my hard work, no guessing here, been told that many times. I've never married and have had to endure suggestions over and over that I'm gay and even had Hispanic coworker say in front of other coworkers that I could go to Mexico and get a little boy for $10. I've put up with :censored2: you can't imagine but I've always believed that I should earn my money and have an obligation to work hard no matter what's done to me. You think you know but you don't. But I do know this. When I walk away I can say I've earned every penny and if things aren't right I've earned the right to point them out. If that bugs you so be it. And now that I've got health issues I will look to be near family and try every avenue possible to get there. No one has given me anything all these years and I saw no exceptions being made for me when I was working in ungodly conditions. I doubt seriously that you would've held up in 105 degree heat with high humidity running like a madman and getting off late at night. But that's good enough for me, after all I'm just a mid-range second class citizen who should be thankful FedEx allows me to work for them. Have a nice weekend amigo.
I'm not the one complaining about a grocery list of items. If anyone is resentful, it is you. I'm not twisting anything. I never questioned your work ethic or what you've accomplished. I did two things and one of those was to help you out but it seems that while you are wallowing in self-pity you missed it. One was to help you with your review, the other was to point out some issues related to signing an offer letter.
I'll sum it up for you again:
1. You should not get hit on your review for your absence. If you were to answer Fedex2000 and my questions you'd see that.
2. You didn't think things through before signing an offer letter and now you have to live with the consequences. Does it suck? Sure it does for you but if your manager or director or whoever ignores the policy just to give you what you want, then that sucks for everyone else that cannot get what they want. It really all boils down to the fact that you wanted to change locations, you bid on the job, you were offered the job, you accepted the job, and then you changed your mind. Now you feel like someone should bail you out this situation. I understand why you feel that way but to blame anyone but yourself is simply out of touch with reality.

And yes, I've worked in weather similar to what you describe and I've also worked in exactly the opposite of that and a lot in between. I held up just fine as do many others. Again, I never questioned the work you've done. Just your attitude.

quadro

For someone who claims they aren't a manager, you sound exactly like a manager. Why does that smell bad?
MFE, do you know anyone who was an hourly employee and then became a manager? I'm guessing you do as you claim you know so many people at FedEx. So let me ask you this: Think about someone you know that was a courier and moved into management. Think back to the last day that they were a courier. Do you think that while they were at home asleep that night that somebody in a futuristic space suit broke into their house, put a set of headphones on them, and brainwashed them using a walkman so that when they walked in to work as a manager, 12 hours after being a courier, they were a different person? Of course not. They were exactly the same person. They apparently had the skills needed to get themselves promoted to a manager. Those skills weren't implanted by that spaceman. They were there while they were a courier. Had they chosen not to go into management, they would still have had those skills.

I choose to be a courier because I like the job. Doesn't mean I don't possess the skills to be a manager. Plus if you'd been paying attention you'd know that I probably understand sick policies well. The rest of my post was just common sense.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MFE, do you know anyone who was an hourly employee and then became a manager? I'm guessing you do as you claim you know so many people at FedEx. So let me ask you this: Think about someone you know that was a courier and moved into management. Think back to the last day that they were a courier. Do you think that while they were at home asleep that night that somebody in a futuristic space suit broke into their house, put a set of headphones on them, and brainwashed them using a walkman so that when they walked in to work as a manager, 12 hours after being a courier, they were a different person? Of course not. They were exactly the same person. They apparently had the skills needed to get themselves promoted to a manager. Those skills weren't implanted by that spaceman. They were there while they were a courier. Had they chosen not to go into management, they would still have had those skills.

I choose to be a courier because I like the job. Doesn't mean I don't possess the skills to be a manager. Plus if you'd been paying attention you'd know that I probably understand sick policies well. The rest of my post was just common sense.

I know policy pretty well myself, but I can't quote it chapter and verse like you do. You and I both have the skill set to be managers, so I'm not insulting you. Sometimes you come off more like a manager than a courier. Why is it that so many hourlies know more than most managers? That doesn't say much for the quality of our management corps.

The most important "skill" one can bring to management these days is the ability to lie and pretend that you don't know what's really happening out there on the road.

quadro

Not sure how I could have mistaken this for an insult. :confused2: I'll take your word that it wasn't.

I know policy pretty well myself, but I can't quote it chapter and verse like you do. You and I both have the skill set to be managers, so I'm not insulting you. Sometimes you come off more like a manager than a courier. Why is it that so many hourlies know more than most managers? That doesn't say much for the quality of our management corps.

The most important "skill" one can bring to management these days is the ability to lie and pretend that you don't know what's really happening out there on the road.
As far as quoting policy, what normally happens is that if I think someone is wrong or mistaken about a policy, I'll look it up at work before I post. Nothing too magical about it. It's pretty amazing what changes you find in policy when you check it on a somewhat regular basis. By that I mean, changes that the managers don't even know about. Some are good and some not so good so it's not because the managers are necessarily hiding something, they are just not keeping up.

I know this will shock you but I disagree about the most important skill. If a manager is informed and connected with his or her workgroup, they'll have a lot more success than lying and pretending they don't know what's really happening. And not so surprisingly, their job would be that much easier. Although, now that I've reread your post, I'm guessing you were being sarcastic and if so, then we do agree.

vantexan

You keep saying I don't take responsibility for my actions. I clearly stated I should have gotten an answer to what the penalty was before I withdrew. I don't know what else you expect. I'm glad to hear the sick days won't count against me. My mgr said they would and I intend to file GFT against him if he trys to use that against me. But also you keep misinterpreting my post. I chose to withdraw true. But how am I expecting someone to bail me out? I asked if it was possible to make an exception? As 2 people have had exceptions made for them since I came here I thought it was possible but assumed it wouldn't happen unless I asked. My beef with my boss is that he WAS deceptive. If HR rep thinks I should have known about policy then how could he have not know as a mgr who has done much hiring through JCATS? Then you make an exception for him saying it's possible he didn't know, but run all over me for not finding out for myself what policies are applicable, not doing my due diligence. I've never withdrawn from a posting I had accepted before, news to me. And just maybe you'd be a little more sympathetic if you'd had been lied to to get you to transfer into this station. He flat out lied to me and another courier, knowing if he had told us it we'd get mid-day rts working reload every night that we wouldn't have come here. I spent $1300 to move a travel trailer here, all my savings, based on what he told me and you think I have a bad attitude. Had to go to HR to get my current rt because he was doing everything possible to keep me from getting it although I was eligible and most senior courier who wanted it. And former senior here told me he was about to post a 4X10 cover driver position and that I could put in for it if I wanted to. I asked even though I haven't put in 6 months and he said he was going to allow it. 3 weeks later he's holding up my application to me and saying hey you couldn't put in for this, see, says so right on the form. And my mgr was stalling me on training on those rts right up until senior held my application up. By the way, guy who transferred in same day as me was furious about being lied to. After about 7 or 8 months he told me that he was going to apply for a RTD, which was what he did before transferring here. I pointed out he hadn't even been here a year and job wasn't posted with a waiver. He said he was going to do it anyways just to see what happened. His mgr had just transferred in and she seemed to be an inexperienced mgr. She approved his transfer without checking to see if eligible. Senior was really angry and tried to get it rescinded but HR told him it had been approved, nothing they could do. So a courier who wasn't even eligible to apply got to leave. So you say all you want about my attitude, I've seen plenty of craziness in just this location and that doesn't begin to approach other situations I've experienced.

And yes, you've questioned whether what I've written about my work ethic was actually true before and if you like I'll dig through posts to turn them up. Sorry if my attitude is bad, sorrier still I had to go through situations that turned it bad.

vantexan

P.S. The really bad weather place. Courier who brought freight took 1.5hrs or longer to drive a 55 minute run to bring me my freight. Courier who covered his day off sometimes took 2 hrs. After offloading, scanning and sorting I usually got to first stop 1100-1130 and did 75-95 stops, usually high 80's to low 90's stop wise. Area on Mexican border known for heat, locally called "the 100 100's.". 100 plus days of 100+ degree heat. And not AZ dry heat. At end of every day I did bulk stop, bulking out my 700 and other courier's 900. Then drove 60 miles to meet up with shuttle, offloaded, did paperwork, took lunch, off lunch 2100 to 2130, drove back 60 miles, off work 2200-2230. Eventually had small tractor trailer sent 150 miles one way just to pick up my outbound. Got me off about an HR earlier. And mgr lied to me about location of his opening, claiming what was in JCATS was inaccurate, he was desperate to fill that very heavy rt. Week I left they hired part-timer to help guy who took over rt. He transferred several months later. And mgr was fired several months after I left due to trying to force couriers to falsify timecards. And he put me through it while I was there. And all my coworkers were Hispanic and made constant negative comments about white men around me and then the little boy comment. I blew up eventually and we all had to sign paper saying no personal comments and we'd respect other's rights. Living hell.

quadro

You keep saying I don't take responsibility for my actions. I clearly stated I should have gotten an answer to what the penalty was before I withdrew. I don't know what else you expect.
I don't really expect anything. I would say you maybe implied that you should have gotten an answer before you withdrew. The problem is that what you clearly stated was that you weren't going to accept the position because of the cost of living. So whether or not your manager knew the penalty, should have known the penalty, didn't know the penalty is irrelevant. You had already decided that you weren't going to accept it. If knowing that you would have to stay 12 more months would have made you accept the position then the cost of living there wasn't really an issue in the first place.
I'm glad to hear the sick days won't count against me. My mgr said they would and I intend to file GFT against him if he trys to use that against me.
I didn't say they will not count against you. I said they probably won't and shouldn't count but as you never answered the questions about FMLA paperwork, I still can't tell you yes or no.
But also you keep misinterpreting my post. I chose to withdraw true. But how am I expecting someone to bail me out?
Because you are trying to blame your manager for your predicament. You even said you were going to GFT this. Not that GFTing something is necessarily a bailout, it's just in this case you are hoping that someone will decide in your favor even though it was you that created the situation.
I asked if it was possible to make an exception? As 2 people have had exceptions made for them
What type of exception was made for them and why? Unless you know ALL the facts, you may not be able to compare their situations with yours.
If HR rep thinks I should have known about policy then how could he have not know as a mgr who has done much hiring through JCATS? Then you make an exception for him saying it's possible he didn't know, but run all over me for not finding out for myself what policies are applicable, not doing my due diligence.
Just because he's done hiring doesn't mean he's had someone sign an offer letter and then withdraw. And even if he has, all he would be involved with is reposting the position. He wouldn't be addressing the person who withdrew. Their current manager would do that. So, yes, it is possible he didn't know and he's not the one changing his mind, you are. So it would make sense for you to ask question BEFORE you withdraw, not after.
I've never withdrawn from a posting I had accepted before, news to me. And just maybe you'd be a little more sympathetic if you'd had been lied to to get you to transfer into this station. He flat out lied to me and another courier, knowing if he had told us it we'd get mid-day rts working reload every night that we wouldn't have come here. I spent $1300 to move a travel trailer here, all my savings, based on what he told me and you think I have a bad attitude. Had to go to HR to get my current rt because he was doing everything possible to keep me from getting it although I was eligible and most senior courier who wanted it. And former senior here told me he was about to post a 4X10 cover driver position and that I could put in for it if I wanted to. I asked even though I haven't put in 6 months and he said he was going to allow it. 3 weeks later he's holding up my application to me and saying hey you couldn't put in for this, see, says so right on the form. And my mgr was stalling me on training on those rts right up until senior held my application up. By the way, guy who transferred in same day as me was furious about being lied to. After about 7 or 8 months he told me that he was going to apply for a RTD, which was what he did before transferring here. I pointed out he hadn't even been here a year and job wasn't posted with a waiver. He said he was going to do it anyways just to see what happened. His mgr had just transferred in and she seemed to be an inexperienced mgr. She approved his transfer without checking to see if eligible. Senior was really angry and tried to get it rescinded but HR told him it had been approved, nothing they could do. So a courier who wasn't even eligible to apply got to leave. So you say all you want about my attitude, I've seen plenty of craziness in just this location and that doesn't begin to approach other situations I've experienced.

And yes, you've questioned whether what I've written about my work ethic was actually true before and if you like I'll dig through posts to turn them up. Sorry if my attitude is bad, sorrier still I had to go through situations that turned it bad.
I wasn't questioning your work ethic in this thread. You brought that up. All I did was comment on your sick days and your job withdrawal. For some reason you brought up a litany of issues about your work. So I'll just say this, Van, you are the most hard-working, most dedicated courier out there. If any other courier goes through half of what you've gone through, they would never survive. When you retire, it will take an army to replace you. I'm not sure if FedEx will even survive. That should fill up the wallow pool for a while. :wink2:

vantexan

Again, you aren't here, you don't know what transpired, you are putting your own spin on it, we've disagreed over issues in past and you are hellbent on attacking me to discredit me. I brought up various things because you say it's my attitude and unwillingness to take responsibility for my actions. Sorry amigo, but you can attack me personally all day long and it won't change fact that your favorite company uses people, drains them dry, and casts them aside with impunity when they come to the end of their usefulness. Seen it before, and feel I'm very close to that end. They've taken and taken with very little given back. And you sound like the embodiment of that harsh, brutal winner take all ruthlessness. Good luck defending the faith.

LTFedExer

By the way, I withdrew from a job posting 2 weeks ago due to extremely expensive housing in that area(on the lowest payscale of course). Unfortunately I had never withdrawn after accepting an offer letter before and didn't know the consequences. My mgr said there may be a time penalty involved but claimed he didn't know what it was. After I withdrew he then told me sorry, company policy, can't apply for anything for a year. And of course another position came open that would've put me near my mom and sister, higher payscale too. Nope, wouldn't verify it and HR backed him up. This is the guy who lied about schedule and duties to get me to transfer here. So let's see, I'm diabetic, on one year DOT card due to high blood pressure, on 6 different meds, nearly died in January due to a 99% clogged artery. Even told him during peak, before the artery problem, how tough being away from my family during the holidays is getting. Wonder why I have such a high opinion of FedEx?
I signed an offer letter a little while ago, going from PT in my station (station #1) to FT in another station (station #2). A week before my reporting date, a FT position opened up in station 1. I called the manager in station 2 and let him I won't be reporting there. I liked where I was, closer to home, I knew everyone and most areas, etc etc. After the manager went into the system to put in I withdrew, I went into JCATS and applied for the position in station 1. Crossing my fingers nobody would 'out-seniority' me in that week. Well, I got the job and am FT in station 1.

I was told by my manager that the manager in station 2 COULD block me for a year from applying for any other position BEFORE I called and withdrew. I let him know, in a very nice way, that if I can't apply or if I don't get the FT in my station....I would be the most pissed off employee he has ever seen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I signed an offer letter a little while ago, going from PT in my station (station #1) to FT in another station (station #2). A week before my reporting date, a FT position opened up in station 1. I called the manager in station 2 and let him I won't be reporting there. I liked where I was, closer to home, I knew everyone and most areas, etc etc. After the manager went into the system to put in I withdrew, I went into JCATS and applied for the position in station 1. Crossing my fingers nobody would 'out-seniority' me in that week. Well, I got the job and am FT in station 1.

I was told by my manager that the manager in station 2 COULD block me for a year from applying for any other position BEFORE I called and withdrew. I let him know, in a very nice way, that if I can't apply or if I don't get the FT in my station....I would be the most pissed off employee he has ever seen.

I would think that in this scenario allowing you to decline the offer and bid on the FT opening in your current station was the right thing to do.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

And from where I stand, I can smell the horses&^t. Unless you had some serious dirt on a higher up, or possibly providing extra-curricular services, I find this extremely hard to believe.

I once found myself in a similar situation when a spot opened up at my "then current" location after I had accepted a spot somewhere else, and found myself on the s*&t end of the stick, just like van.

Can't believe a word from some people, and a LOT of them work for FedEx.

LTFedExer

I would think that in this scenario allowing you to decline the offer and bid on the FT opening in your current station was the right thing to do.
Yes, but I could have screwed out of both spots had someone with more seniority put in for station 1 spot (the one I got). Then what? As I said, I would have been more pissed off at my managers than MFE is at FedEx.
And from where I stand, I can smell the horses&^t. Unless you had some serious dirt on a higher up, or possibly providing extra-curricular services, I find this extremely hard to believe.

I once found myself in a similar situation when a spot opened up at my "then current" location after I had accepted a spot somewhere else, and found myself on the s*&t end of the stick, just like van.

Can't believe a word from some people, and a LOT of them work for FedEx.
Believe what you want DOWN. I had no dirt on anyone. The managers in my station give me the same respect I give them. Yes, I could have been screwed out of BOTH FT positions. But, none of the 4 (that I figured) couriers that MIGHT put in for the position put it for it. I had been after them for 2 years to pair my PT AM with an open PT PM. I didn't WANT a split shift. But, the next FT AM rte that opens up, I have a better shot at getting.

quadro

Again, you aren't here, you don't know what transpired, you are putting your own spin on it, we've disagreed over issues in past and you are hellbent on attacking me to discredit me. I brought up various things because you say it's my attitude and unwillingness to take responsibility for my actions. Sorry amigo, but you can attack me personally all day long and it won't change fact that your favorite company uses people, drains them dry, and casts them aside with impunity when they come to the end of their usefulness. Seen it before, and feel I'm very close to that end. They've taken and taken with very little given back. And you sound like the embodiment of that harsh, brutal winner take all ruthlessness. Good luck defending the faith.
I'm only going by what you've said. I'm not putting any spin on it. I am sorry if you feel that I'm attacking you. I know many people who have retired from FedEx so FedEx never cast them aside. So I could make a claim that FedEx never casts people aside. I won't do that because it's not true just as your claim that FedEx casts them aside when they come to the end of their usefulness isn't true. Does it happen? I'm sure it does but you cannot make a blanket statement like that simply because it isn't true most of the time. All it does is serve to add to the "woe is me" story that you keep telling.

quadro

You got lucky. It's not up to the manager in station 2. Policy is policy and you should have been blocked. I'd have to double check this but I think the way you get blocked is that you get a warning letter which effectively prohibits you from putting in for other jobs for 12 months. That includes jobs within your station. Had that happened, you can be as pissed off as you want but no one forced you to put in for the first job and no one forced you to withdraw from it so why should you be exempt from the policy? If I was in your station and put in for the FT position at station#1 and didn't get it because you did, I would be pissed off that you got special treatment and favoritism. Either way someone is going to be pissed off so the manager should have done the right thing and followed the policy.

Having said that, I'm glad it worked out for you but when managers are too inept to follow policy that's when bigger and bigger issues tend to come up.

vantexan

All it does is serve to add to the "woe is me" story that you keep telling.

Retiring and having physical problems that limit your ability to perform are 2 different ballgames. I doubt seriously I'll make it to 55. And truth is that if I do take another rt and it turns into a hump rt chances are I won't be able to run like I use to. But hey, I have no right to ask for any concession or exception. Over 2 decades of hard work don't matter. It's what have you done for me lately, right? Perform or step aside grandpa. The company owes us nothing, we owe it everything.

To the OP, if you are still reading this, the loyalists want you to believe that you'll have a solid future with FedEx. And usually they have a vested interest in pushing that. If you choose to work at Express you may decide that this job only pays enough to get by with hopefully no major financial disasters. If you try Ground you'll quickly realize it's great for certain people, but not for you unless you consider working very long hrs for minimal pay with no benefits great. UPS will make you earn every penny but they pay quite a few more pennies with great benefits. Good luck with your choice.

vantexan

You got lucky. It's not up to the manager in station 2. Policy is policy and you should have been blocked. Having said that, I'm glad it worked out for you but when managers are too inept to follow policy that's when bigger and bigger issues tend to come up.

Wait a minute! Someone got an exception? No way! Well looky there, a pig just flew by!