Fedex careers?

quadro

Watch it, the anal police will go after you, telling just how things are when they aren't at your location but know exactly what happens there. FedEx Cares. By the way, if FedEx has perfected policy to the point that things are set in stone I wonder why they keep getting sued? Where there's smoke...
Because managers do stupid things like letting people put in for jobs when the policy clearly says they cannot if they withdraw after an offer letter is signed.

vantexan

Because managers do stupid things like letting people put in for jobs when the policy clearly says they cannot if they withdraw after an offer letter is signed.

And policy states that hiring mgr must contact employee's mgr to inform him he has received a signed offer letter. If transaction wasn't completed, according to hiring mgr it was up to my mgr whether he allowed me to apply for other jobs, not set in stone like you say. Said mgr was asked to ask HR whether I could withdraw from job and said he was told I could up to reporting day. Said there may be a penalty involved. Didn't know what penalty was although just discussed with HR and knew about penalty. Was HR not clear about process? Mgr could let me apply, knew why I was applying, chose to stand behind policy and say no dice. Fine by you, mgr was correct and you know for a fact that he has always been correct. There, I said it for you. No, nothing funny going on here. You quoted FedEx2000 but even he said mgr not knowing what penalty was was crap. And you don't think I should even ask for an exception to be made even though process was never completed according to policy. And that I should be aware of any applicable policies when applying but make allowances for mgr "not knowing" even though as a hiring mgr he should know applicable policies. Not necessarily you say but a courier should, even though mgrs deal with hiring all the time but couriers don't transfer often if at all. Doesn't matter, if surprise to courier too bad. We must follow policy. And as I've pointed out from my own experience many mgrs don't follow policy but do anything they can get away with and company sweeps under carpet. And if you dare say geez, I've worked extremely hard for you for 20+ years, for once can you make an exception? Nope, and we'll ridicule your service with snide remarks. How dare you think you should get anything for doing right by us, even while getting screwed. We have the power, and if you keep whining we'll set our old courier attack dog, Astro, er, Quadro on you. Yeah, I know, he's really a mgr wannabe, that's why we like him so much. You can learn a thing or two from that fellow. Bleeds purple and orange, and that's rare these days. FedEx Cares!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And policy states that hiring mgr must contact employee's mgr to inform him he has received a signed offer letter. If transaction wasn't completed, according to hiring mgr it was up to my mgr whether he allowed me to apply for other jobs, not set in stone like you say. Said mgr was asked to ask HR whether I could withdraw from job and said he was told I could up to reporting day. Said there may be a penalty involved. Didn't know what penalty was although just discussed with HR and knew about penalty. Was HR not clear about process? Mgr could let me apply, knew why I was applying, chose to stand behind policy and say no dice. Fine by you, mgr was correct and you know for a fact that he has always been correct. There, I said it for you. No, nothing funny going on here. You quoted FedEx2000 but even he said mgr not knowing what penalty was was crap. And you don't think I should even ask for an exception to be made even though process was never completed according to policy. And that I should be aware of any applicable policies when applying but make allowances for mgr "not knowing" even though as a hiring mgr he should know applicable policies. Not necessarily you say but a courier should, even though mgrs deal with hiring all the time but couriers don't transfer often if at all. Doesn't matter, if surprise to courier too bad. We must follow policy. And as I've pointed out from my own experience many mgrs don't follow policy but do anything they can get away with and company sweeps under carpet. And if you dare say geez, I've worked extremely hard for you for 20+ years, for once can you make an exception? Nope, and we'll ridicule your service with snide remarks. How dare you think you should get anything for doing right by us, even while getting screwed. We have the power, and if you keep whining we'll set our old courier attack dog, Astro, er, Quadro on you. Yeah, I know, he's really a mgr wannabe, that's why we like him so much. You can learn a thing or two from that fellow. Bleeds purple and orange, and that's rare these days. FedEx Cares!

Policy is seldom applied equally at FedEx, and most managers don't even know the P&P like they should. I don't think hard copies of the P&P even exist at most stations. The less hourlies know, the better.

vantexan

Policy is seldom applied equally at FedEx, and most managers don't even know the P&P like they should. I don't think hard copies of the P&P even exist at most stations. The less hourlies know, the better.

But if you knew how my mgr talks about policy all the time you'd be surprised if he said he didn't know what the policy per withdrawing was, especially after saying he just talked to HR about it and knew there was a penalty involved. Doesn't matter though, I'm the courier in this equation, it's my fault for not knowing. I'll just have to slog through for another year in this great route.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Every manager in our station has a copy and we are more than welcome to read it anytime we want.

Not at my station. It's like asking for the original Declaration of Independence. It should be out in the open, readily accessible to anyone at any time.

FedEx2000

Not at my station. It's like asking for the original Declaration of Independence. It should be out in the open, readily accessible to anyone at any time.

It's also available online at keyword: People Manual...click the "United States" link, and bam, there it is. Online version should always be used as it is the most up to date/current. Hard copy is for reference only.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's also available online at keyword: People Manual...click the "United States" link, and bam, there it is. Online version should always be used as it is the most up to date/current. Hard copy is for reference only.

You might know P&P, but I doubt that most of your peers are half as smart as you are. Too bad there aren't more enlightened managers like you out there. FedEx would be a much better company if they were able to attract the best and brightest.

FedEx2000

I'm far from perfect...just trying to share any advice/opinion/experiences I can and trying to prove that not ALL mgrs are clueless and out to get everyone, and that I don't have to sell my soul to do it.

vantexan

I'm far from perfect...just trying to share any advice/opinion/experiences I can and trying to prove that not ALL mgrs are clueless and out to get everyone, and that I don't have to sell my soul to do it.

Tell me where you are at and I'll transfer there! Oops, maybe after a year.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

There are certainly some sharp managers out there, but they seem to be the exception to the rule. Most end-up stepping-down eventually anyway.

LTFedExer

Tell me where you are at and I'll transfer there! Oops, maybe after a year.
A year goes quick. I got a speeding ticket in one of our rentals (70 in a 55). 15MPH over the speed limit, bam!!! letter. While it's not the same, I assure you it goes quick. But, keep your nose extra clean the last 2 months and don' let anyone know you're looking for another position. If the manager is vindictive, you could 'earn' another letter.

vantexan

A year goes quick. I got a speeding ticket in one of our rentals (70 in a 55). 15MPH over the speed limit, bam!!! letter. While it's not the same, I assure you it goes quick. But, keep your nose extra clean the last 2 months and don' let anyone know you're looking for another position. If the manager is vindictive, you could 'earn' another letter.

Good advice. When I spoke to director I said I'd like some assurances that when I'm eligible to transfer I won't be messed with.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Good advice. When I spoke to director I said I'd like some assurances that when I'm eligible to transfer I won't be messed with.

Now, that could work out like your big sister telling the other seniors not to mess with you, but then they end up being even meaner than they would have..lol

LTFedExer

You might get assurances, but that doesn't mean it won't happen anyway. When I decided to leave my last station, NOBODY knew I was leaving. Not even my co-workers. They found out when I put in for the job and not a day sooner.

vantexan

Now, that could work out like your big sister telling the other seniors not to mess with you, but then they end up being even meaner than they would have..lol

I used to wonder why the Communists tried so hard to keep people in their country but have come to realize that people in general just really get P.O.ed when you want to leave their town.

vantexan

They found out when I put in for the job and not a day sooner.
That's the smart thing to do but that cat's out of the bag here. But I definitely will be looking at JCATS in private when the time comes. Trouble is I'm looking for a specific type job. Could be here another 2 years. At this point I'd like an overnight shuttle driver job but those jobs don't seem to be around anymore. Years ago I knew a small station where they had a guy drive a straight truck to the ramp about 170 miles away, parked truck while handlers took care of freight, drove to company paid motel room where he got layover pay, had to be back at ramp at 0500, drove back to station. Station now has feeder plane and he quit. Things change.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's the smart thing to do but that cat's out of the bag here. But I definitely will be looking at JCATS in private when the time comes. Trouble is I'm looking for a specific type job. Could be here another 2 years. At this point I'd like an overnight shuttle driver job but those jobs don't seem to be around anymore. Years ago I knew a small station where they had a guy drive a straight truck to the ramp about 170 miles away, parked truck while handlers took care of freight, drove to company paid motel room where he got layover pay, had to be back at ramp at 0500, drove back to station. Station now has feeder plane and he quit. Things change.

If FedEx can outsource a job function or otherwise make it less expensive, they'll do it. The problem is, it doesn't leave much in the way of job variation possibilities for employees. Just ask an RTD how many options they have now in comparison to what they had prior to outsourcing. Most ramps now have a handful of overnight or medium haul runs because it's mostly been farmed-out.

This is another big plus for unions, because jobs have some degree of protection built-in. At UPS, for example, they cannot outsource Feeder (RTD) functions. Fred saves big money by using contract truckers instead of FedEx employees, who must settle for short local runs or PT status. Many of these folks had to return to being couriers just to get enough hours to eke-out a living.

Fred can also outsource courier functions, and I've been made aware of several stations that have cartage agents do FO. Sorry, Fred, but that's OT or work that employees should be doing, not outsiders.

Just one more way that FedEx "Cares".

vantexan

If FedEx can outsource a job function or otherwise make it less expensive, they'll do it. The problem is, it doesn't leave much in the way of job variation possibilities for employees.

Just one more way that FedEx "Cares".

This is exactly how I feel after all these years. I have no desire to go into mgmt, couldn't imagine being a CSA, and the last thing I'd want at this point is another rt that required me to jump in and out of the truck every few minutes. It's either cling to a reasonable rt for the rest of your career, or look for unique situations you have enough seniority to get, like a lone domicile in a scenic area out west. I've just had to explain to family that most likely I won't be moving near them due to not being able to get that domiciled job and I'm just not able to head to the nearest station to them to do a rt no one wants anymore. If someone reading this is younger you may wonder what's the big deal but May 1st this year will make 25 years since I originally started and I've run into the proverbial wall and can't do it much longer. I think a bit of it is I haven't got much back from the company in the last 12 years and it's getting harder to justify continuing any longer than I have to. Can't imagine starting today at 24 and be working 25 years from now at this job, expected to be productive with little to show for it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is exactly how I feel after all these years. I have no desire to go into mgmt, couldn't imagine being a CSA, and the last thing I'd want at this point is another rt that required me to jump in and out of the truck every few minutes. It's either cling to a reasonable rt for the rest of your career, or look for unique situations you have enough seniority to get, like a lone domicile in a scenic area out west. I've just had to explain to family that most likely I won't be moving near them due to not being able to get that domiciled job and I'm just not able to head to the nearest station to them to do a rt no one wants anymore. If someone reading this is younger you may wonder what's the big deal but May 1st this year will make 25 years since I originally started and I've run into the proverbial wall and can't do it much longer. I think a bit of it is I haven't got much back from the company in the last 12 years and it's getting harder to justify continuing any longer than I have to. Can't imagine starting today at 24 and be working 25 years from now at this job, expected to be productive with little to show for it.

I think your sentiments reflect the feelings of many employees. FedEx doesn't offer many options, and they wonder why the SFA scores are so low on job satisfaction indicators. Your situation (coming back after leaving) must be especially frustrating. FedEx is too cheap to recognize your level of expertise, but they "justify" it by saying "it was your choice to leave". One would think they'd be happy to get an A-team courier instead of a B-team rookie, but that's not the way they look at it.

The movement toward general employee apathy is gaining momentum every day. I see it when people laugh openly during Frontline, or mock stupid policies and decisions that come from the Memphoids. You and I have both been around long enough to know that this is the polar opposite of the way it used to be. They have turned loyal employees into the enemy, yet continue to expect a 100% effort for nothing in return.