FedEx Claims: The Real Scam

RTURNSONLY

I carry all damaged boxes. And I let the customer open them and inspect them... It's their stuff. They can see and decide if they want it. I have no trust in QA clerks inspecting contents.
I don't believe you are following FedEx policy, at least at Express side. If a customer wants to open up a package before delivery, they need to accept the package first with a signature and then package is theirs and can't be returned. CRR should perform a Dex Scan, Damaged/delivery completed, and enter comments. Only then recipient can follow up with a claim. If customer wants to refuse package due to visual damage, CRR should enter appropiate refusal scan and return package intact to station CSA.

STFXG

You're right. But I'm not paid hourly. That just makes for extra work without pay. if its good enough to be loaded on my truck it's good enough to be delivered. If its ugly and they want to inspect it then I don't have a problem with that. Like I said... It's their stuff.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On the Brown side customers are not allowed to open packages without having first accepted delivery by signing for them; however, if the package has external damage, I will allow them to open and inspect it while I am standing there before signing for it. If they then choose to accept it I will note "damaged" in the remarks column in the DIAD. If they refuse the delivery I will sheet accordingly. If the package is damaged to the point where I choose not to deliver it I sheet it as "missed" per our most recent training.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You'll have a hard time finding a large company in the US that doesn't have practices like this.

"Declared Value and then not pay for the "insurance" paid for by the shipper" - If it were so simple... There is a lot of scammers out there to.

I know 2 shippers who have exact opposite experiences with claims for damaged packages. One says that they never pay and the other has always collected. I know that the one who always collects is ridiculously thorough with the details when submitting a claim. The other isn't since he's pretty lazy with details in everything he does and his complete claim is something like, "You broke my package. Pay me." The answer probably lies with knowing what you're doing when shipping and filing a claim.

The craziest claim I've ever seen was someone filing a claim for a damaged laptop. The laptop was shipped in a regular FedEx box with no packing materials and that happens more than you'd think. Either people are really stupid or the scammers think they can pull it off.

STFXG

Why what?
Why the lack of trust for the clerks doing their jobs? Why intentionally cause brand damage and paint a target on your back by showing the end customer a damaged package?

Because the clerks don't know everything that's supposed to be in the box. They just tape it up and send it out with an inspected sticker. It's not worth my time to hunt down a QA clerk in the morning...

I've also had the same loader for years. He pulls anything that's too bad or that's wet. So I haven't had many issues with questionable packages.

CJinx

Because the clerks don't know everything that's supposed to be in the box. They just tape it up and send it out with an inspected sticker. It's not worth my time to hunt down a QA clerk in the morning...
I can't speak for the clerks in your station, but I can read an invoice and/or call the shipper just as well as you can. I'm just glad you've had no incidents so far with delivered damaged packages; as I said earlier, the managers love to see patterns in the damage reports so they know who to go after. Every inspection sticker I put down has my initials on it because I stand by my work.