FedEx contractor or USPS CCA

FedGT

Starting a job with no degree making $40,000 a year living in middle America is not bad. Good chance you could be very disconnected on that though. Some people are not as fortunate as you or I. Having a job making that amount would be amazing for a lot of people.

bacha29

Outstanding response Artee. Some time during his life Penguin is going to have to try to make some money. Nearly all retirement programs will still be there for his generation they just won't provide much economic assistance. If I was Penguin and I was told that I might have to work 7 days a week I would have enthusiasticly embraced it. He might have to take some knocks and some less than 40 hour weeks but the size of the prize including the opportunity to become aU.S. Postal Inspector makes it all worthwhile. Beside's if he doesn't like labor intensive work, long hours in bad weather he won't last long working for a contractor

bacha29

The thing to remember Penguin most FXG contractors are only comtracted for one year at a time. USPS is getting used to being for the first time a competitor and once they figure it out they will be formidable.

Purplepackage

Starting a job with no degree making $40,000 a year living in middle America is not bad. Good chance you could be very disconnected on that though. Some people are not as fortunate as you or I. Having a job making that amount would be amazing for a lot of people.

I know a lot of people who's household income is around 80k and around here they are far from poverty

FedGT

The thing to remember Penguin most FXG contractors are only comtracted for one year at a time. USPS is getting used to being for the first time a competitor and once they figure it out they will be formidable.
And if they are any good, average, or hell subpar they get a new contract signed every year.

fdxsux

As was stated before, make sure you know which position you are applying for. City carriers make good money. City carrier assistants make about $16/hr and don't have the same wage progression or benefits. I've heard many are forced to work 6 or 7 days a week. It is a non career position. That being said, I'm sure it's still better than ground.

chris45

I literally signed up to say, working at the post office SUCKS. Fedex and the postal service are two different worlds and nobody here really has a clue. I was a cca for about 9 months, i worked every single day from october to december (i quit to go to fedex express, the only days off were when i called off for the interviews and i got chewed out for doing that) the supervisors are extremely hostile, no matter what office i was sent to (they can lend you out) they were all the same. like screaming at you when you come in as your casing mail and then coming to scream at you while your out delivering mail, you come back and get screamed at because you were sent out on a route youve never done before with no guidance and are 2 hours late and couldnt see :censored2: because its dark outside , its just not a good place to be mentally or physically unless you need money. And no you dont have benefits and no they dont pay overtime unless your over 40 hours or 8 hours in one day it doesnt matter how many days you work. As a cca u get no raises, and u are temporary, at the one year mark u have a unpaid week off and they decide if they want to bring you back or not. Becoming a regular can take years, it took my brother 12 years, but then again you could get lucky and get turned over quickly because ive seen it. At my place i had way to many people in front of me it would have taken years. I would try and get in express, or work at the post office suck it up and wait till you can get into express. But then again working at ground can help you get into express

Pretty much all of the horror stories u see are true just look on glassdoor

I apologize for the incoherent rambling, its 5am and i havent slept yet

chris45

Oh yeah would you rather deliver newspapers 1 day a week, packages and mail on foot or deliver strictly packages in a truck?

The choice is yours boss

Penguin1272

I literally signed up to say, working at the post office SUCKS. Fedex and the postal service are two different worlds and nobody here really has a clue. I was a cca for about 9 months, i worked every single day from october to december (i quit to go to fedex express, the only days off were when i called off for the interviews and i got chewed out for doing that) the supervisors are extremely hostile, no matter what office i was sent to (they can lend you out) they were all the same. like screaming at you when you come in as your casing mail and then coming to scream at you while your out delivering mail, you come back and get screamed at because you were sent out on a route youve never done before with no guidance and are 2 hours late and couldnt see :censored2: because its dark outside , its just not a good place to be mentally or physically unless you need money. And no you dont have benefits and no they dont pay overtime unless your over 40 hours or 8 hours in one day it doesnt matter how many days you work. As a cca u get no raises, and u are temporary, at the one year mark u have a unpaid week off and they decide if they want to bring you back or not. Becoming a regular can take years, it took my brother 12 years, but then again you could get lucky and get turned over quickly because ive seen it. At my place i had way to many people in front of me it would have taken years. I would try and get in express, or work at the post office suck it up and wait till you can get into express. But then again working at ground can help you get into express

Pretty much all of the horror stories u see are true just look on glassdoor

I apologize for the incoherent rambling, its 5am and i havent slept yet

Yeah I've been waiting for the post office to call me back no response yet. There was about 80 other people in the room on the day of my interview. However FedEx did call me back I went in did my road test and got the job. I figured I am gonna take it and use it as a stepping stone to learn something new. And maybe down the road move on to something better. The post office I woulda have to travel to queens New York every morning I live in the Bronx that includes me paying a 16$ toll plus gas. While fedex is only about 15 mins from my house . So right now I think it's the best option for my situation.

Thanks everyone for the advice

Just one question tho.. How do you get into express? Do I have to apply directly thru Fedex?

Artee

Why are you not considering UPS? If you want to be in the package delivery industry, why not go for the highest paying company? Sounds like the post office and ground are about equal with Express being a small step above. Why not go for the best pay and benefits? Get the part time job at UPS as a loader and work part time at a yogurt shop where you can hook up with some hot chicks and bide your time until you can become a package car driver.

Penguin1272

Why are you not considering UPS? If you want to be in the package delivery industry, why not go for the highest paying company? Sounds like the post office and ground are about equal with Express being a small step above. Why not go for the best pay and benefits? Get the part time job at UPS as a loader and work part time at a yogurt shop where you can hook up with some hot chicks and bide your time until you can become a package car driver.

I have considered UPS. I actually was a seasonal helper driver about 4 years ago I couldn't stay due to it being part time. I have always been into the delivery industry but haven't had a clue on where to start. As for UPS I understand you have to work your way up from the bottom as a part timer, one of the reason I wasn't able to do that is because I got a lot of bills working part time won't cut it I prefer a full time job. Who knows maybe I'll gain some experience from fedex and try UPS I'm still young lol

Artee

Unless you are in an area where UPS is hiring drivers off the street your FDX experience will mean very little. You will still start out as a PT loader. At least thats they way it is around here. Plenty of loaders paying their dues to become drivers. I have not heard of anyone jumping that line because they have some FDX experience.

Penguin1272

Unless you are in an area where UPS is hiring drivers off the street your FDX experience will mean very little. You will still start out as a PT loader. At least thats they way it is around here. Plenty of loaders paying their dues to become drivers. I have not heard of anyone jumping that line because they have some FDX experience.

I understand. Not saying I wanna jump the line, I know ups starts you from the bottom you gotta work your way up. I would consider it but just can't do part time at the moment

It will be fine

Ups won't care about his FedEx experience, but other companies will. Most people can't afford to live on part time wages. There is time value in money, make $40-50K now as a FedEx driver or put in 5-8 years at ups for the chance to make that much and a few years after that, make top scale as a driver. Depends on your situation, but the choice is an easy one for a lot of people.

Just left from the PO as a CCA..You are constantly pressed for time that is not possible to make and management sucks at most offices 7 days a week of work no off days. If you have a family no time for them won't turn regular for 2-3 years and pay progression is 12 years for max 32 hr so actually 14 cause as a CCA your progression doesn't start ...Fed Ex $1 something a package no benefits no Union both suck but bills have to be paid

dvalleyjim

Thanks everyone I went ahead with the post office interview. They are telling us that you must work 7 days a week that is pretty hectic won't have much of a personal life anymore.. Might turn down the offer, I don't really enjoy the idea of workin 7 days a week or will give it a try see how much I enjoy it. Pretty sure I got in tho just have to wait for a call back.
You'll have no life with FX ground either you just won't be fairly compensated!