Fedex courier Interview Help

hypo hanna

On a positive note..well maybe...I had a Walgreens Distribution Center interview scheduled right after my Fedex interview and it went great and supposdly starts out right at $15/hr also...I don't really know much about the company or job though so can't really comment on anything for it.

Thanks for the help though everyone...glad its all over with

Seems like a no brainer to me. Lets compare.

Walgreens is an expanding company with a solid future selling inexpensive salves and sundries to aging baby boomers who will be on a tight budget. This should keep them growing for at least the next 10 to 20 years.
FedEx Express is a contracting opco of a poorly managed corporation. Management has no faith in its employees and feels it can solve its many problems and replace many of its workers with technology. They try to do this on the cheap ignoring any input from the end users so usually the software fails. (Power pad, electronic drop box signage etc)

Walgreens merchandise with the exception of the medications is not time sensitive. You most likely will have a route of certain stores you will deliver to every day. The stores order would be picked and ready for you to load if it isn't loaded for you in the morning. You will know where you will be going, in what order you will be delivering, who you will be seeing etc.
FedEx express P1 is due in most areas by 10:30 and pickup windows are as small as an hour. (These commits would not be a problem were it not for the incompetent management that fouls up your efforts at every turn.) when you do fail on a commitment by as little as one minute you will be blamed for it. The pace will be Walgreens x10.

Starting pay is about the same. I can't say for Walgreens but at FedEx you will most likely will never top out and any cost of living raise you might get will NOT cover the cost of living.

With the way Walgreens is growing you should have plenty of opportunities to move up.

With FedEx the only realistic avanue for a driver to move up is as a station operations manager through a degrading process called "aspire", (formally known as "leap". A slightly less degrading process.) Being an ops manager will be the most dangerous period in your career. You and your fellow operations managers will have to compete for drivers hours in a blood thirsty back stabbing contest where only the most ruthless mgrs with no conscience survive. AM mgrs vs PM, PM vs PM, AM vs AM. without a strong SM to keep all of this in check you could easily find yourself compromised and out the door. this is why so my good drivers will not risk their 20 + years of service. From there (if you survive), you will find opportunities to go to many other less insane parts of the company. But at least as far as my district is concerned, it is the only path available to a courier.

FedEx insurance stinks and it gets worse with less coverage and more expensive every year to the employee.
With Walgreens in the medical industry, I can't imagine their health insurance being worse the FedEx. I'm 99% sure they get their meds at cost.

vantexan

I didn't catch that he would be delivering freight to Walgreens stores but rather will be working in their distribution center. If he's actually delivering pallets of freight to stores he should jump on that.

hypo hanna

I didn't catch that he would be delivering freight to Walgreens stores but rather will be working in their distribution center. If he's actually delivering pallets of freight to stores he should jump on that.
My bad. He did not say he was driving. An assumption I shouldn't have made. Still warehouseman isn't a bad starting gig and from there he can shoot for a delivery route.

Ya its just general distribution center work and not delievery....I've got a buddy that has only worked their for 2 years and is making $18.40 an hour and told me top out pay is around $22 an hour and you can hit it within 7 years of being there so I think this is the route I'm going to take.

vantexan

Ya its just general distribution center work and not delievery....I've got a buddy that has only worked their for 2 years and is making $18.40 an hour and told me top out pay is around $22 an hour and you can hit it within 7 years of being there so I think this is the route I'm going to take.

Took over 13 years for me to get above $18hr. Good luck with the new job!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Walgreen's uses semis to deliver to stores. He'd need to have a Class A.

mitchel

can you get me a job? ive been with fedex for 17 years, and im finally starting hating going to work...i know it took me longer than most of you. lwop?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You'll be glad you went elsewhere. FedEx is a dead-end. So Fred loses another talented, intelligent candidate. Word is getting out that FedEx is a crap company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
can you get me a job? ive been with fedex for 17 years, and im finally starting hating going to work...i know it took me longer than most of you. lwop?

The first step is putting down the glass of Kool-Aid.The second is to remove those purple-colored shades and see this place for what it really is. Congratulations.

mitchel

lol mrfed ..my glasses have been off for awhile, im just getting to the point where im accepting it and dont care. im glad my house is paid off already, and i just need to work for my car payment. but what is happening sucks. ironically the proflowers thing made me remember how many accounts have already jumped ship

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
lol mrfed ..my glasses have been off for awhile, im just getting to the point where im accepting it and dont care. im glad my house is paid off already, and i just need to work for my car payment. but what is happening sucks. ironically the proflowers thing made me remember how many accounts have already jumped ship

I think your attitude reflects that of many others. They accept it and no longer care, which is reflected in the accounts jumping ship (besides the ones being handed to Ground internally). Actually, you should "care", but in the reverse. which means doing everything possible to not be productive, customer service oriented, etc. If we want it to get better, we need to actually do something to show MEM that we have a backbone.

Last edited: