FedEx DOT vs NON DOT / Dirver

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by Jakeem Simon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Jakeem Simon

Jakeem Simon New Member

I got a call from fedex to go in for an interview and fill out a job application. The lady told me that I had to pay for the DOT card and the DOT physical. Plus what is the difference between DOT and NON DOT Driver?

2. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

Are you talking Express or Ground? DOT means you follow DOT (Department of Transportation) rules of hours of service. NOT DOT doesn't.

3. outtatime

outtatime Active Member

*cue all the run for the hills comments. And go.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Jakeem Simon

Jakeem Simon New Member

5. Operational needs

Someone else will have to help you. The DOT and NON DOT are the same rules though, but Ground has a looser interpretation of them.

6. Nolimitz

Nolimitz Active Member

sounds like a cheap contractor to boot if you have to pay for physical.

7. Jakeem Simon

Jakeem Simon New Member

So why did I have to pay out of pocket for it?

8. Jakeem Simon

Jakeem Simon New Member

so did I get the job? or I still have to pass the road test?

9. Operational needs

I guess Fedex doesn't pay for Ground drivers' DOT physicals. Ground drivers don't work for FedEx Ground. They work for the contractors. They DO Express drivers though, because you work for FedEx.

10. Jakeem Simon

Jakeem Simon New Member

So FedEx Express will be a better choice?

11. Operational needs

It is the lesser of two evils. At least there you'll probably be paid better and get some kind of benefits. The best choice is UPS.

12. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

Run faster!!

13. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Jakeem, have you ever thought about being a plumber?

14. It will be fine

It will be fine Well-Known Member

They pay for ours still. I don't know why, but they do. They didn't for a few years and then started again. Who knows? I don't question when they want to pick up the tab. It would be hard to get a driver job at Ground right now, every terminal should be full of temporary drivers that already cleared the gauntlet to be approved. Starting from scratch seems strange this time of year. If the contractor won't pay for the physical I'd look elsewhere, if he's cheap on that he'll be cheap everywhere else too.

15. Bounty

Bounty Active Member

They pay for "your employees" physical, seems weird. I thought they stopped that to keep the scam going!!!

16. bacha29

bacha29 Well-Known Member

Mr. Simon: Fedex is a holding company with several operating units. At Fedex Express the drivers are employed directly by the company. At Fedex Ground the routes are controlled by third party route contractors and they hire and pay the people who drive the Ground trucks. The pay scale varies widely from contractor to contractor and very few of them offer employer paid health care and pension plans. During peak season at some terminals Fedex Ground management will hire some temporary employees through a staffing agency to drive rental trucks to handle peak season over flow. That practice is being phased out over time. It sounds like in your case that you are responding to an offer from a ground contractor or going to be employed through the agency.You appear to be confused. Maybe this will help.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Jakeem Simon

Jakeem Simon New Member

no

18. Jakeem Simon

Jakeem Simon New Member

Ok but let's say I fail the road test what will happen?

19. Operational needs

I would guess you won't get the job. Why would they hire you to DRIVE if you can't pass a simple road test?

20. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Jakeem, I think you missed my point.

Being a plumber sucks but it's still better than working for FedEx these days. You'd get better raises, insurance and retirement than you'll ever get at FedEx.

The biggest favor I can do for you is to tell you to forget about FedEx and look elsewhere. Ask around. Ask some of the others here.