FedEx DOT vs NON DOT / Dirver

I got a call from fedex to go in for an interview and fill out a job application. The lady told me that I had to pay for the DOT card and the DOT physical. Plus what is the difference between DOT and NON DOT Driver?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I got a call from fedex to go in for an interview and fill out a job application. The lady told me that I had to pay for the DOT card and the DOT physical. Plus what is the difference between DOT and NON DOT Driver?

Are you talking Express or Ground? DOT means you follow DOT (Department of Transportation) rules of hours of service. NOT DOT doesn't.

It will be fine

I guess Fedex doesn't pay for Ground drivers' DOT physicals. Ground drivers don't work for FedEx Ground. They work for the contractors. They DO Express drivers though, because you work for FedEx.
They pay for ours still. I don't know why, but they do. They didn't for a few years and then started again. Who knows? I don't question when they want to pick up the tab. It would be hard to get a driver job at Ground right now, every terminal should be full of temporary drivers that already cleared the gauntlet to be approved. Starting from scratch seems strange this time of year. If the contractor won't pay for the physical I'd look elsewhere, if he's cheap on that he'll be cheap everywhere else too.

Bounty

They pay for ours still. I don't know why, but they do. They didn't for a few years and then started again. Who knows? I don't question when they want to pick up the tab. It would be hard to get a driver job at Ground right now, every terminal should be full of temporary drivers that already cleared the gauntlet to be approved. Starting from scratch seems strange this time of year. If the contractor won't pay for the physical I'd look elsewhere, if he's cheap on that he'll be cheap everywhere else too.
They pay for "your employees" physical, seems weird. I thought they stopped that to keep the scam going!!!

bacha29

Mr. Simon: Fedex is a holding company with several operating units. At Fedex Express the drivers are employed directly by the company. At Fedex Ground the routes are controlled by third party route contractors and they hire and pay the people who drive the Ground trucks. The pay scale varies widely from contractor to contractor and very few of them offer employer paid health care and pension plans. During peak season at some terminals Fedex Ground management will hire some temporary employees through a staffing agency to drive rental trucks to handle peak season over flow. That practice is being phased out over time. It sounds like in your case that you are responding to an offer from a ground contractor or going to be employed through the agency.You appear to be confused. Maybe this will help.

Mr. Simon: Fedex is a holding company with several operating units. At Fedex Express the drivers are employed directly by the company. At Fedex Ground the routes are controlled by third party route contractors and they hire and pay the people who drive the Ground trucks. The pay scale varies widely from contractor to contractor and very few of them offer employer paid health care and pension plans. During peak season at some terminals Fedex Ground management will hire some temporary employees through a staffing agency to drive rental trucks to handle peak season over flow. That practice is being phased out over time. It sounds like in your case that you are responding to an offer from a ground contractor or going to be employed through the agency.You appear to be confused. Maybe this will help.
Ok but let's say I fail the road test what will happen?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Jakeem, have you ever thought about being a plumber?

Jakeem, I think you missed my point.

Being a plumber sucks but it's still better than working for FedEx these days. You'd get better raises, insurance and retirement than you'll ever get at FedEx.

The biggest favor I can do for you is to tell you to forget about FedEx and look elsewhere. Ask around. Ask some of the others here.