FedEx Express driver gets killed by train

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by hurricanehugo, Feb 12, 2015.

1. hurricanehugo

hurricanehugo New Member

2. Slick silver

Slick silver Active Member

3. Slick silver

Slick silver Active Member

That one is real sad, condolences

4. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

Horrible. My condolences to his family.

5. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

Yep...no good. The train always wins, so never take a chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

Always sucks to see news like this.

7. overflowed

overflowed Well-Known Member

Management makes it seem like its some ridiculous game, it's absolutely not.

8. Fred's Myth

Fred's Myth Active Member

31 year employee. Hope Fedex does something more for the family than make him the subject of our next "time clock safety subject."

9. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Horrible.

The push for more, more and more productivity and look what's happened.

My sympathies to this guy's family.

Be safe out there everyone. Screw the numbers.

10. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Condolences to his family and to his FedEx family.

11. andrsnbkj

andrsnbkj Member

Wow sad

12. Nolimitz

Nolimitz Active Member

Very sad indeed. My condolences to his family. Stay safe everyone. FE numbers aren't worth your (or someone else's) life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Goldilocks

Goldilocks Well-Known Member

How sad. 55 years old, 31 years with Express. Probably racing to make his RTB time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. DontThrowPackages

DontThrowPackages Well-Known Member

We don't know what caused this to happen but I just sake my head when I see some of our drivers pushing 50 MPH in 35 MPH zone. It dangerous plus more productivity is only rewarded with more work. Drivers, if they're giving an honest effort, need to have lates. Lates are how management know when a route is over extended. We believe management is tricking DRA in order to boost SPH and putting some routes in danger(for those drivers willing to lead foot it). This isn't the military. Drivers shouldn't be expected to lay down their lives for this job. All that should be expected is an honest effort.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

They will probably "retire" his route and put up a stupid flag on the wall. Otherwise...nothing but the cheap flowers and phony sympathy card. He was hit in an uncontrolled crossing, as in no signals or crossing arms. Never assume that the railroad tracks you cross are unused or that you can beat the train if there is one. Unless a crossing is marked "exempt" you must assume that the tracks are active. Trains run 24 hours a day, and even one going 15 mph or so takes a long time to stop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Cactus

I hope this guy's family at least seeks some advice from very competent attorney and pushes for a wrongful death suit. All the pressing for more productivity is no doubt a big contributing factor in this unfortunate situation. I think Fred, MT3 and Bronczek should be investigated for their practices and be on the hotseat over this. Very sad it's come to this and racing a motor vehicle to beat the clock is a huge public safety issue. We can't have this ever happen again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Our new center manager is from Vermont and told us a similar story about a UPS driver and an uncontrolled RR crossing. The driver survived the crash but has never been the same since.

Cactus, while I do understand where you are coming from, your suggestion of a wrongful death suit is without merit.

18. Cactus

That'll be up to the courts to decide.

19. overflowed

overflowed Well-Known Member

I have to ask Dave. Why would anyone try to take a train on if they didn't feel pressured to do so for whatever inconsequential reason? I wouldn't ever, but some people feel the pressure of the things management asks of them. This may of been the issue.

20. BigTex61

BigTex61 Active Member

When management starts making the numbers impossible, we tend to start taking chances and risks just to appease them. I know it's the wrong thing to do, but we're all a little guilty of it. Why else would he try to beat a train, unless he just didn't see it. He's was a courier too long, so the train just didn't sneak up on him.