FedEx Express driver gets killed by train

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Horrible.

The push for more, more and more productivity and look what's happened.

My sympathies to this guy's family.

Be safe out there everyone. Screw the numbers.

DontThrowPackages

How sad. 55 years old, 31 years with Express. Probably racing to make his RTB time.
We don't know what caused this to happen but I just sake my head when I see some of our drivers pushing 50 MPH in 35 MPH zone. It dangerous plus more productivity is only rewarded with more work. Drivers, if they're giving an honest effort, need to have lates. Lates are how management know when a route is over extended. We believe management is tricking DRA in order to boost SPH and putting some routes in danger(for those drivers willing to lead foot it). This isn't the military. Drivers shouldn't be expected to lay down their lives for this job. All that should be expected is an honest effort.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
31 year employee. Hope Fedex does something more for the family than make him the subject of our next "time clock safety subject."

They will probably "retire" his route and put up a stupid flag on the wall. Otherwise...nothing but the cheap flowers and phony sympathy card. He was hit in an uncontrolled crossing, as in no signals or crossing arms. Never assume that the railroad tracks you cross are unused or that you can beat the train if there is one. Unless a crossing is marked "exempt" you must assume that the tracks are active. Trains run 24 hours a day, and even one going 15 mph or so takes a long time to stop.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I hope this guy's family at least seeks some advice from very competent attorney and pushes for a wrongful death suit. All the pressing for more productivity is no doubt a big contributing factor in this unfortunate situation. I think Fred, MT3 and Bronczek should be investigated for their practices and be on the hotseat over this. Very sad it's come to this and racing a motor vehicle to beat the clock is a huge public safety issue. We can't have this ever happen again.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our new center manager is from Vermont and told us a similar story about a UPS driver and an uncontrolled RR crossing. The driver survived the crash but has never been the same since.

Cactus, while I do understand where you are coming from, your suggestion of a wrongful death suit is without merit.

overflowed

Our new center manager is from Vermont and told us a similar story about a UPS driver and an uncontrolled RR crossing. The driver survived the crash but has never been the same since.

Cactus, while I do understand where you are coming from, your suggestion of a wrongful death suit is without merit.
I have to ask Dave. Why would anyone try to take a train on if they didn't feel pressured to do so for whatever inconsequential reason? I wouldn't ever, but some people feel the pressure of the things management asks of them. This may of been the issue.

BigTex61

When management starts making the numbers impossible, we tend to start taking chances and risks just to appease them. I know it's the wrong thing to do, but we're all a little guilty of it. Why else would he try to beat a train, unless he just didn't see it. He's was a courier too long, so the train just didn't sneak up on him.