FedEx express swing courier. New hire.

BigWork13

I have been looking around this forum for a while now and I finally decided to post. I am in the process of being hired by FedEx express as a full time swing courier and just had a couple of questions to ask. Do full time swing couriers work split shifts? Is overtime paid at time and a half? Has it gotten any better working for express in the past couple of years? Currently I work a full time job making around $45,000 a year. But I put in 55+ hours a week and I'm salaried so I don't feel I get compensated for the amount of hours I work and I feel like making a switch. The person I met with to sign the offer letter made the job seem pretty awesome. 4-6% yearly raises, pension plan, optional overtime if you want it. I figure if I just work 45 hours at express I will make more money than I do right now. Just looking for currenty feedback and answers to my questions. Thank you in advance.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yes, you will work splits. Possibly five a week. Raises are usually 2%. Overtime is paid after 8 hours. The pension plan is a joke. Insurance pretty much useless. OT is based on the whim of the company.

All I can say is, go in with your eyes wide open. I've been at Express over 25 years and it is getting progressively worse. Expect to get screwed every day and if you don't, it's a good day. Good luck.

BigWork13

Yes, you will work splits. Possibly five a week. Raises are usually 2%. Overtime is paid after 8 hours. The pension plan is a joke. Insurance pretty much useless. OT is based on the whim of the company.

All I can say is, go in with your eyes wide open. I've been at Express over 25 years and it is getting progressively worse. Expect to get screwed every day and if you don't, it's a good day. Good luck.
So it is paid after 8 hours in a day? Not 40 in a week. Meaning if I already worked the 5 days for 40 hours if pick up a 6th day, that won't be considered overtime?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I have been looking around this forum for a while now and I finally decided to post. I am in the process of being hired by FedEx express as a full time swing courier and just had a couple of questions to ask. Do full time swing couriers work split shifts? Is overtime paid at time and a half? Has it gotten any better working for express in the past couple of years? Currently I work a full time job making around $45,000 a year. But I put in 55+ hours a week and I'm salaried so I don't feel I get compensated for the amount of hours I work and I feel like making a switch. The person I met with to sign the offer letter made the job seem pretty awesome. 4-6% yearly raises, pension plan, optional overtime if you want it. I figure if I just work 45 hours at express I will make more money than I do right now. Just looking for currenty feedback and answers to my questions. Thank you in advance.

BTW, the person who told you that either mistakenly read off an old script or flat out lied to you. That's how it USED to be.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
The person I met with to sign the offer letter made the job seem pretty awesome. 4-6% yearly raises, pension plan, optional overtime if you want it.

5159f7c2afa96f0994016b8d.gif

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So it is paid after 8 hours in a day? Not 40 in a week. Meaning if I already worked the 5 days for 40 hours if pick up a 6th day, that won't be considered overtime?

Over 8 a day. If you work 5 hours one day and 12 the next, you will get 4 hours OT. Your sixth day worked or day off, is OT.

BigWork13

Over 8 a day. If you work 5 hours one day and 12 the next, you will get 4 hours OT. Your sixth day worked or day off, is OT.
Thank you for the response. But just to be clear. Saying I woked 5 - 8 hour days for 40 hours. Picked up a extra day for 8 hours. 48 hours total in the week. That would or would not be cosidered overtime?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thank you for the response. But just to be clear. Saying I woked 5 - 8 hour days for 40 hours. Picked up a extra day for 8 hours. 48 hours total in the week. That would or would not be cosidered overtime?

The extra day, because it's your sixth day or day off, would be OT punch to punch.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
But don't forget the 14/10 rule, mandatory hour break, minimum 90% of goal, quarterly p*ss tests, annual DOT physical, and bring your own maps if not DRA. And better have unlimited plan on your cellphone. From personal experience.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Gotcha. Thank you. One other question then. Say I worked 5 - 6 hour days for 30 hours. Then picked up a 6th day. Is that overtime punch to punch also because it's a 6th day?

You will be paid your minimum hours for the week-35 and then paid OT for the 6th day. This could vary by location tho because some stations will try to force a swing to work their day off to make up the hours they didn't get during the week. Not sure what the policy is on that anymore. FedEx changes policy regularly to benefit them and screw the hourlies.

Fragiledonthrow

Day off is all overtime. So that would be your 6 day.. also 10 plus hours a day at my location is norm for the swings . And be ready to be on a not so set schedule everyday. Your hours will get extended in an instant as they see fit.
The 4 to 6 percent raise per year is laughable. Ive gotten 4 percent in 5 years.. good luck

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Gotcha. Thank you. One other question then. Say I worked 5 - 6 hour days for 30 hours. Then picked up a 6th day. Is that overtime punch to punch also because it's a 6th day?

Sorry, just reread what you asked. Your 6th day is always OT regardless of how few hours you work during the week. As a swing though, I'm sure you will get plenty of hours depending on the location.

BigWork13

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I actually feel better about making the switch now as I am fed up with the BS at my current job. Fedex seems like a decent place to make some decent money.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I actually feel better about making the switch now as I am fed up with the BS at my current job. Fedex seems like a decent place to make some decent money.

Say Merry Christmas to your family at Thanksgiving because you won't have the energy to say it on Christmas. And don't make any plans to do anything during the week and especially during the month of December. It ain't happening.

Slave101

I've been with express for over 10 years, that 4-6% raise they told you about is pure crap! Last year new hires didn't even get raises because senior guys were complaining the pay was very similar from new hire. If I were you I would really consider another job, fedex really loves making this place look like fun and bells and that you are fairly compensated. Truth is that tge money sucks and really sucks compared to similar jobs out there. Consider your self warned