FedEx express swing courier. New hire.

AutoDG

What annual physicals? We get a physical once every other year. I have had two urine tests in my 9 years at Fedex. No pay rate of 4-6% LOL. Possibly 2%. Hours are PLENTIFUL at my station. I can literally get any hours I want also start at what time I see fit. Different animal at the station I work at.

l22

I actually feel better about making the switch now as I am fed up with the BS at my current job.

Get ready for more BS. Working here is no different than working for your company probably - better than a lot places but that's not saying much since most places are god awful. If working here is supposed to be better than working at most corporations, then no corporation is good. One 'perk' (lol) as long as you don't get into accidents is job security though. You won't lose your job if you don't have accidents while on road. You'll just constantly be told by management through the form of reports/meaningless OLCCs/questioning that you need to go faster - but don't. Use those as reminders to go even slower when driving and while on your feet. The company hasn't laid off any couriers as yet, but that could change in the future. We are all essentially at the company's mercy when it comes to the changes they issue - often negative ones these days.

Last edited:

vantexan

If you are covering a 4X10 rt instead of a 5X8 you get OT that day only after working 10 hrs. They also like to sell people on working 4X10's by saying if you work a 5th day you get time and a half and if you work a 6th day it's all doubletime. However they rarely let 4X10's work a 6th day, hate paying doubletime. The current raise scheme might get you to top out pay in 35 years. Be prepared to work next to people making $9hr+ more than you with no hope of ever catching them.

Fragiledonthrow

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I actually feel better about making the switch now as I am fed up with the BS at my current job. Fedex seems like a decent place to make some decent money.
It seems your ready to do it. So just fyi. At ups you"ll probably be making dbl what u would make at express in 5 years. Also all those things they told u about pension and raises. Only happens at ups. I would suggest u apply with them. ;)

BigWork13

It seems your ready to do it. So just fyi. At ups you"ll probably be making dbl what u would make at express in 5 years. Also all those things they told u about pension and raises. Only happens at ups. I would suggest u apply with them. ;)
In a perfect world I would love to work for UPS. I'm not at a point in my life where I can start working there part time to eventually become a driver. UPS is a dream job to me though.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
In a perfect world I would love to work for UPS. I'm not at a point in my life where I can start working there part time to eventually become a driver. UPS is a dream job to me though.

All jokes aside, whatever direction you take...good luck. Welcome to Express, your sense of humor is about to get a strenuous workout.

xTlZfXA.jpg

whenIgetthere

I have been looking around this forum for a while now and I finally decided to post. I am in the process of being hired by FedEx express as a full time swing courier and just had a couple of questions to ask. Do full time swing couriers work split shifts? Is overtime paid at time and a half? Has it gotten any better working for express in the past couple of years? Currently I work a full time job making around $45,000 a year. But I put in 55+ hours a week and I'm salaried so I don't feel I get compensated for the amount of hours I work and I feel like making a switch. The person I met with to sign the offer letter made the job seem pretty awesome. 4-6% yearly raises, pension plan, optional overtime if you want it. I figure if I just work 45 hours at express I will make more money than I do right now. Just looking for currenty feedback and answers to my questions. Thank you in advance.

Run away as fast as you can. I too came to X because I was in a salaried job at about 45K 14 years ago. Was working X PT to supplement my earnings. Biggest mistake I ever made. I have yet to make 45K in a year, even with OT. Was a FT swing for 12 years, treated like crap (as were all swings at both stations I worked). Have a FT route now, and struggle to get 35 hours where as the route next to me gets 55-60 hours a week (same loop, not a 4x10). Stay where you are, you will regret this decision!

FedexCares

Run away as fast as you can. I too came to X because I was in a salaried job at about 45K 14 years ago. Was working X PT to supplement my earnings. Biggest mistake I ever made. I have yet to make 45K in a year, even with OT. Was a FT swing for 12 years, treated like crap (as were all swings at both stations I worked). Have a FT route now, and struggle to get 35 hours where as the route next to me gets 55-60 hours a week (same loop, not a 4x10). Stay where you are, you will regret this decision!
Yes, I would be very careful making this switch. You won't be making much more money then you do currently at your salaried job (if any), and you will be working similar hours most likely. In addition, being a swing driver SUCKS. You'll most likely get tossed all over the place, and if its like my station you will be doing a different route almost everyday. That gets old very quickly (would for me at least). I honestly would stay where you are, or at least scratch Fedex off your list as a place to go as I really don't think it will be what you are looking for.

Purplepackage

Well y'all have officially messed with my head and I have no idea what to do now.

I don't know how big your station is but at a smaller station as a swing the hours are plentiful. And everyone telling you that you won't even make 45k a year, every single swing at my station makes well over that

Purplepackage

Yes, I would be very careful making this switch. You won't be making much more money then you do currently at your salaried job (if any), and you will be working similar hours most likely. In addition, being a swing driver SUCKS. You'll most likely get tossed all over the place, and if its like my station you will be doing a different route almost everyday. That gets old very quickly (would for me at least). I honestly would stay where you are, or at least scratch Fedex off your list as a place to go as I really don't think it will be what you are looking for.

We have a wheel driver at my station that works a 4x10 week covering 4 routes on their day imagine doing that

Code43

How much money you will earn depends on which market level your salary is set at. If you're at Market level B you will never earn 45,000 dollars a year at FedEx. You would have to work 60 hours a week to make that kind of money. As of rightnow you will also never see a 4-6% raise. Who ever told you that flat out lied to you. This company lies to its employees on a daily basis. Beware of FedEx. Most people that are being hired right now see the writing on the walls within 2 or 3 months and leave. I would also be wary of starting off as a full time swing driver. Most swing driver positions are terrible. You're going to be thrown to the wolves.