FedEx Express vs. UPS - These numbers say it all!

LTFedExer

I know that for a fact.
No you don't. You only know a few drivers.
IMO stop counts are quite a bit different. FedEx drives more but does less stops. UPS has smaller routes but do alot more stops than we do. The UPS driver does a lot more physical labor than FedEx but that being said we drive a lot more which means we constantly have to be on our toes and we have a higher risk of a accident. UPS is physically draining and we are mentally drained from all the driving.
I may only do 90 to 110 stops a day but I drive over 200 miles and cover 5 zips. The UPS drivers on my route do 200 stops plus a day with a fully loaded truck and there are about 10 of them on my route that I know of. Very rarely I have no walk path in my vehicle where as UPS never seems to have a path until its pick up time. We all do the same job but UPS is definatley more physical.
Yes.
OK, we both have hard jobs and the upser is getting paid to hore out his body. What this job will do to you in 20-30 years is burn out your body, but at least you got paid. Fair exchange and moral. I make $80,000 a year and I'm still trying to start my own business so I can get the hell out of ups before I'm a cripple. If I made jump change, forget about it.
Good luck in your venture.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The question isn't who works harder, but who is properly compensated for their work. Answer, not FedEx and definitely not FedEx Ground.

All of us work hard, and I would be the first to say that mental strain can be just as hazardous to your body as physical strain. With that said I too drive over 160 miles a day, deliver 150 to 175 stops and then must do some back tracking to cover pickups. However I have made over 100K in 2 of the last 3 years and have awesome benefits and a pension to focus on. Is it a trade off? Absolutely, but at least I'm compensated for my labor.

FedEx employees need to stand up for themselves, maybe the union would come in if they really thought they had a chance. I do not know for sure but charity starts at the front door.

FedEx courier

Mean-spirited? You've got to police your tone or the mods get upset. Just a guess, but flaming isn't kosher.
It was definitely mean spirited but I was sort of being serious. What else would make a try to antagonize people when he doesn't even really know what most of the discussions are about? It would have to be the result some type of traumatic experience that would make a person relate to others in that way. He admitted he had a prior addiction to crack, I was really just drawing a typical conclusion to how crack addicts support their habits.

bbsam

Staff member
It was definitely mean spirited but I was sort of being serious. What else would make a try to antagonize people when he doesn't even really know what most of the discussions are about? It would have to be the result some type of traumatic experience that would make a person relate to others in that way. He admitted he had a prior addiction to crack, I was really just drawing a typical conclusion to how crack addicts support their habits.

It was mean-spirited? I'm sorry I guess I missed that part. Future hint for you though: I am very at ease with my past mistakes and in fact find them helpful to others trying to turn their lives around. So if you want to try to be mean-spirited, you might try another tact. That one won't go anywhere for you. From Alcoholics Anonymous: "We do not regret the past nor wish to close the door on it."

And I think you might be a bit on the sensitive side. "...antagonize people when he doesn't even really know..." My previous post was a pun. A simple play on words. A Mark Twain kind of moment. Take a deep breath. This is only an internet site forum.

FedEx courier

It was mean-spirited? I'm sorry I guess I missed that part. Future hint for you though: I am very at ease with my past mistakes and in fact find them helpful to others trying to turn their lives around. So if you want to try to be mean-spirited, you might try another tact. That one won't go anywhere for you. From Alcoholics Anonymous: "We do not regret the past nor wish to close the door on it."

And I think you might be a bit on the sensitive side. "...antagonize people when he doesn't even really know..." My previous post was a pun. A simple play on words. A Mark Twain kind of moment. Take a deep breath. This is only an internet site forum.
"Antagonize people when he doesn't even know" was referring to the way you comment on posts dealing with the Express division when you have no idea what goes on at Express. I got the word pun captain, I really don't come here for entertainment beyond checking out what others have to say about work issues. Honestly it is pretty say that you do.

bbsam

Staff member
"Antagonize people when he doesn't even know" was referring to the way you comment on posts dealing with the Express division when you have no idea what goes on at Express. I got the word pun captain, I really don't come here for entertainment beyond checking out what others have to say about work issues. Honestly it is pretty say that you do.

That's just it. If people around here are antagonized by what I say, I'd say they take internet conversations a bit too seriously. Honestly it is pretty sad that you do.

LTFedExer

I don't put much weight in those numbers. It's a union website. Go to a pro-FedEx website and you'll see different numbers.

LTFedExer

What numbers don't you agree with? I doubt that you would see this comparison on a pro-fedex website.
I never said the numbers weren't accurate. I just said that being on a union website, they may not tell the whole story. Shoot, they may not even be accurate.

FedEx courier

That's just it. If people around here are antagonized by what I say, I'd say they take internet conversations a bit too seriously. Honestly it is pretty sad that you do.
I honestly don't think anyone takes you seriously, just saying that it's pretty annoying when some jellyroll spends a lot of time trying to spread disinformation when they really haven't a clue about what other people or talking about. So you did take a few poundings then right?

bbsam

Staff member
I honestly don't think anyone takes you seriously, just saying that it's pretty annoying when some jellyroll spends a lot of time trying to spread disinformation when they really haven't a clue about what other people or talking about. So you did take a few poundings then right?

I've taken my knocks in life, yes. And you are actually wrong. There are people here who enter into Express conversations and insist on bringing a Ground perspective to it. I am one of them. At other times MFE makes statements about Ground that are simply false or comments that I disagree with and so I comment. There are Fedex threads that I have nothing to say on which you point out. "SFA question for Fedex 2000" would be one of them. Guess what. I don't post there. So I'm not really sure what you are talking about when you say "disinformation". If that means I don't thos the "Fred S is a bastard and all things Fedex suck" line, then I guess you are correct. But it may very well be that having my perspective taken with others creates a more informative view of what is going on at Fedex. Also, there is an "ignore" function on BC should you not be able to do so on your own. But I'm probably not going to stop posting.

FedEx courier

I've taken my knocks in life, yes. And you are actually wrong. There are people here who enter into Express conversations and insist on bringing a Ground perspective to it. I am one of them. At other times MFE makes statements about Ground that are simply false or comments that I disagree with and so I comment. There are Fedex threads that I have nothing to say on which you point out. "SFA question for Fedex 2000" would be one of them. Guess what. I don't post there. So I'm not really sure what you are talking about when you say "disinformation". If that means I don't thos the "Fred S is a bastard and all things Fedex suck" line, then I guess you are correct. But it may very well be that having my perspective taken with others creates a more informative view of what is going on at Fedex. Also, there is an "ignore" function on BC should you not be able to do so on your own. But I'm probably not going to stop posting.
Wham Bam thank you Sam, ha ha ha!