Fedex Fail on the Highway

TeamLift

Headed to my terminal the other morning when I see lots of flashing lights up ahead, female cop motions me forward and asks, are you here to pick up the packages ? What I say as it is 5.00 am, no I am just headed to my terminal, well, you will have to go around then. Didn't register what she really meant till I got to FedEx home delivery and found out that not one but two sets of doubles decided to deliver their packages right there on America's highway.

One had pulled off the road to help a stranded motorist, good deed I say, and then another came along seconds later, didn't see the car because it had no lights on at 4.00 am swerved to miss it and collided with the first truck turning both of them over. Lanes still closed 4 hours later. No fault of the first truck but the second should have seen the other truck as all trailer lights were on. For some, Christmas arrived in Sept. When I came back through 4 hours later, there were still some packages on the ground.

I told my fellow drivers that if they were missing more than 5 packages on their scanner they would have to drive to the accident scene and look to see if they could find them.

As a former long haul trucker, ask any driver who the number one company is for ending up in the comedian, its FedEx. Not hard to believe though when you see how these guys drive even in adverse conditions. When the drivers get their load late for whatever reasons they have to make up that time on the highway to get to the next terminal in time for sort. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
My only question is - had it been a male cop who motioned you forward, would you have mentioned that it was a male cop?

I just always find it interesting how folks say that for some odd reason.
:dont_know:

From my own personal observation, there does seem to be a disproportionate number of Ground trucks littering the ditches and medians these days though, there's no denying that.

dezguy

FedEx Freight drivers in my areas are the worst, most dangerous, of any company on the roads.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Agreed. Seems like the guys in my area go out of their way to be as unprofessional as possible. Actually had one of them yell at me a few weeks ago for pulling into the drive of a business as he was pulling out of the dock. Apparently I'm supposed to stop on a 4 lane highway and wait for him to pull out.

On any given day, I can almost guarantee to see one of those idiots cut someone off or traveling 20 kph over the limit.

TeamLift

My only question is - had it been a male cop who motioned you forward, would you have mentioned that it was a male cop?

:dont_know:

From my own personal observation, there does seem to be a disproportionate number of Ground trucks littering the ditches and medians these days though, there's no denying that.
No I wouldn't have, at 5.00 am only a female gets my attention

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
At least 3 days out of the week I have a Ground semi passing me on a two lane highway going over 75 MPH. Wouldn't do any good to report him to the Ground terminal as they would just make excuses for him. With their FMCSA scores in the toilet, I'm surprised the cost of insurance to run them doesn't put them out of business.

barnyard

KTM rider
1 of the guys I work with has seen FEG drivers drop trailers pulling out of a very large shipper (that we now have.) I have worked his job and seen why. The FEG guys come in, snap onto a trailer, hook air lines and leave. No pretrips whatsoever. Do not check the 5th wheel, none of it.

STFXG

At least 3 days out of the week I have a Ground semi passing me on a two lane highway going over 75 MPH. Wouldn't do any good to report him to the Ground terminal as they would just make excuses for him. With their FMCSA scores in the toilet, I'm surprised the cost of insurance to run them doesn't put them out of business.

We pay our own insurance.

FMCSA scores will start to go up. We've been offered a hefty incentive to pass roadside inspections. And we can be inspected as often as we like. Was told if we know anyone we can get them inspected daily if we like.

Too bad I only run sprinters :(. I know plenty of officers that would inspect me daily for a "donation" to some charity.

fedex_rtd

FMCSA scores will start to go up. We've been offered a hefty incentive to pass roadside inspections.
That's actually pretty sad that the company that you work for...oops sorry contract with has to pay you what amounts to a bribe to insure that your drivers and equipment meet the MINIMUM standards, to operate on public roads.

MassWineGuy

I'm with this guy. When I worked as a reporter and anyone described a person in the sotry as black or whatever, my editor always asked if they'd do the same had they been white. Or male.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

FMCSA scores will start to go up. We've been offered a hefty incentive to pass roadside inspections. And we can be inspected as often as we like. Was told if we know anyone we can get them inspected daily if we like.

Too bad I only run sprinters :(. I know plenty of officers that would inspect me daily for a "donation" to some charity.

Your scores will continue to plummet, because FedEx has no commitment to safety. As I have repeatedly said, the Ground logo should be placed on trailers upside down so customers can read it.