FedEx flying workers over to Europe to battle strikes in Paris

Myort

I have a few sources at the Indy Hub that have confirmed workers heading over to Germany to work for FedEx. It appears there is labor problems at the Paris hub and they have upped ops at Cologne Germany. Was also told today that someone had the opportunity to go to France last week but declined.

How is this legal? Wouldn't these folks need work Visas? If they were going to France, wouldn't that be scab labor? A whole lot of questions on this one but if anyone is doubting me, I would not be posting this if it was just a rumor.

klein

Für Meno :)
I'ld like to know how they deal with the massive traffic there, and those tiny little pathways as streets !
Besides, not knowing where they are going, or being able to read road signs.

Myort

These workers are from hub ops and that is what they are being sent over to help with. Sounds like folks that are qualified to load and launch aircraft.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
These workers are from hub ops and that is what they are being sent over to help with. Sounds like folks that are qualified to load and launch aircraft.

They sound like scabs to me. Not exactly a surprising tactic given the hatred Fred has for unions. When workers wanted to go union in the UK some years ago, FedEx essentially shutdown it's operations rather than have a unionized workforce. Fred is an absolute bastard.

vantexan

Are they possibly sending over mgrs? If they're regular workers, that would be surprising as most countries protect their citizens' right to those jobs. Of course FedEx would never spend millions to get a gov't to grant them an exception. Right?

vantexan

They sound like scabs to me. Not exactly a surprising tactic given the hatred Fred has for unions. When workers wanted to go union in the UK some years ago, FedEx essentially shutdown it's operations rather than have a unionized workforce. Fred is an absolute bastard.

Aren't they unionized in the U.K. now?

bbsam

Staff member
An absolute bastard, but true to his word.

Myort

Are they possibly sending over mgrs? If they're regular workers, that would be surprising as most countries protect their citizens' right to those jobs. Of course FedEx would never spend millions to get a gov't to grant them an exception. Right?

One that I know of that is going is not managment. I would imagine they would send some management too, but these are hourly workers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
One that I know of that is going is not managment. I would imagine they would send some management too, but these are hourly workers.

That's a good point about importing foreign workers to break a union. I can see the managers doing it, but I doubt that France would welcome Fred's scabs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Is there proof of this or another baseless statement?

Someone else made the statement, but doesn't it sound likely that it's true based on what you know about the way Fred S deals with employees who want a bigger share of the pie?

P.S. I just Googled it and it's absolutely true. Several hundred out of the 2,200 employees stopped work. 6 flights were cancelled, and numerous packages were delayed. Sounds like something we ought to do here.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Someone else made the statement, but doesn't it sound likely that it's true based on what you know about the way Fred S deals with employees who want a bigger share of the pie?

P.S. I just Googled it and it's absolutely true. Several hundred out of the 2,200 employees stopped work. 6 flights were cancelled, and numerous packages were delayed. Sounds like something we ought to do here.

So much for the big strides in the international markets Fred's always bragging about.

LTFedExer

I don't know if the French workers were already unionized or not. Either way, they've apparently figured out Mr. Smith.
Quoted from http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3842.htm - "Membership in France's labor unions accounts for approximately 5% of the private sector work force and is concentrated in the manufacturing, transportation, and heavy industry sectors. Most unions are affiliated with one of the competing national federations, the largest and most powerful of which are the communist-dominated General Labor Confederation (CGT), the Workers' Force (FO), and the French Democratic Confederation of Labor (CFDT)."
Thanks for the link.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

This makes you wonder if Uncle Freddo and Maury turn on the PePe LePew accents, and say stuff like (in a Tennessee accent) "The opposite of bonjour to ya..:

Sorry, Mr. Deeds flashed in my mind..lol

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This makes you wonder if Uncle Freddo and Maury turn on the PePe LePew accents, and say stuff like (in a Tennessee accent) "The opposite of bonjour to ya..:

Sorry, Mr. Deeds flashed in my mind..lol

They quoted our beloved Maury in the link. One has to wonder what they're cooking-up to break the union in France.