FedEx Ground and Workers Comp

FedExer267

I have a buddy that was hurt at work delivering a stop couple weeks back. 150lb box on the middle shelf and no one could come help him so he lifted it off they shelf went to put it down and big suprise his back went pop!!! I ran into him the other day making a delivery to the clinic they send us to. He was telling me how his medical treatment is covered however he has not seen a workers comp check because apparently FedEx has diputed his injury.
Wait a minute, what right do they have to do this I seem to remember them telling all the courts and us daily that we are not their employees. So what right do they have to stall a workers comp check why this guy heals? Sounds real shady
I mean if the doctors bill is getting paid is that not saying yes this guy was hurt on the job. I just dont get it.
What do you guys think?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have a buddy that was hurt at work delivering a stop couple weeks back. 150lb box on the middle shelf and no one could come help him so he lifted it off they shelf went to put it down and big suprise his back went pop!!! I ran into him the other day making a delivery to the clinic they send us to. He was telling me how his medical treatment is covered however he has not seen a workers comp check because apparently FedEx has diputed his injury.
Wait a minute, what right do they have to do this I seem to remember them telling all the courts and us daily that we are not their employees. So what right do they have to stall a workers comp check why this guy heals? Sounds real shady
I mean if the doctors bill is getting paid is that not saying yes this guy was hurt on the job. I just dont get it.
What do you guys think?

FedEx fights/disputes nearly all injuries. Not sure what state you work in so I don't know the regs that govern workers comp there. In my state, which I won't identify, medical coverage is there for your injuries, but since you aren't "employees" (ha-ha) you have no medical coverage unless it's purchased or offered through your contractor. In terms of disability injuries, PT workers only get short-term SDI while FT gets long-term. The employee reports the injury to the company and then the company is supposed to report the injury to the state, but the state doesn't provide any coverage or care.

FedEx never has your best interests at heart..only their pocketbook. bbsam will probably be able to answer you from a Ground contractor's perpsective.

vantexan

Just curious but why would FedEx be responsible for his workman's comp? If he's not an employee why is FedEx even involved? Is he a contractor? Should be responsible for himself. If employee of contractor then contractor responsible. Maybe he made claim as a FedEx employee and FedEx is disputing that? Yes, I know, but under the rules they are operating under the harsh reality is FedEx ISN'T responsible for many things. And as FedEx is a huge part of the economy and loved by businessmen everywhere, most likely legislatures, state and national, are going to turn their heads and sacrifice the health of many a poor sap to keep their precious pkgs moving. I hate this system. I hate what they're doing to us. But it's the reality. Too late for old guys like me but if you are in your 20's or early 30's you might want to look for something better 'cause this job doesn't look to get better any time soon.

bbsam

Staff member
I've had employees receive workman's comp checks. Has to be submitted through the contractors insurance probably Marsh. Hate to rain on your "hate fedex parade", but it sounds like a clerical error unless the contractor disputed the claim and not fedex.

FedExer267

I didnt want to go on and on as know no one likes to read long posts but he is a employee of a contractor and the company that they deal with told him his contractor reported the claim a week after the incident and fed ex wants it investigated so it is in delay and will take up to 90 days to make up their mind which basically means why this poor guy is trying to heal and doing what he needs to do to get back to work he has no income. So I dont know if they are trying to bust the Contractor at the employees expense or what.
However it seems pretty clear to me no matter who you work for if you do your job and benefit the company when you are there and the time comes that you get hurt the right thing should be done and the employee taken care of why he recoups, afterall its not his fault that fed exs employee who must be a complete idiot to load this thing on the shelf put him in this situation. I would of left it there and took it back to the building especially after the contractor told the guy there was no one to help him get it out of the truck. Why hurt yourself for a company or a contractor who dosent give to poops about you. I think its crap that a company can get away with not doing right by the employee but in this situation what right does Fed Ex have to do this when that employee dosent even work for them. I just dont understand this company goes out of its way to let everyone know they dont run us and we are not their employees, however they can get involved in a workers comp claim of a employee that dosent work for them. Its almost like FedEx delaying a UPS guys claim. Dosent make sense

bbsam

Staff member
It does make sense. Go run a car into a telephone pole and report the accident a week later to insurance. A time consuming investigation will take place. The contactor messed up. The driver should to threaten to take him to small claims court. Would he succeed? Don't know. Would get things moving though.

FedExer267

Well I will suggest that to him. All I am saying is if you get hurt on the job you should be taken care of and if the Contractor did screw up in reporting the accident late I hope he gets taken for a few bucks. It just goes to show you the greed of most contractors not wanting to take care of those who take care of them its pathetic.

FedExer267

Can a contractor take half your pay to pay for a helper because you are working with limitations after a injury?

That is exactly what one contractor is doing to one employee in my building. Now I have heard it all. The kicker is he said the Insurance company told him to and they would reimburse the driver when his claim gets settled. He still has not seen his first check from when he was originally hurt.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Can a contractor take half your pay to pay for a helper because you are working with limitations after a injury?

That is exactly what one contractor is doing to one employee in my building. Now I have heard it all. The kicker is he said the Insurance company told him to and they would reimburse the driver when his claim gets settled. He still has not seen his first check from when he was originally hurt.

Amazing. I'd place a call to your state Labor Board. That is just plain wrong.

bbsam

Staff member

No, he absolutely can not (I think). I believe he's either out and receiving workmans comp or he's on "light duty" but I don't think that allows him to cut the pay in half. Sounds like the contractor is trying to have it both ways.

FedExer267

No, he absolutely can not (I think). I believe he's either out and receiving workmans comp or he's on "light duty" but I don't think that allows him to cut the pay in half. Sounds like the contractor is trying to have it both ways.

Ok this is what my buddy told me after contacting labor board. A contractor has the right to reduce your pay if your on light duty however that is if you are not completeing your daily hours. If you are working your daily hours with a helper because your on light duty he cannot deduct your pay. If your working 5 hours he has the right. so basically you go in for 5 he figures out what you would make for 5 hours of work and thats your pay for the day.

The labor board asked him how he got paid he said a daily rate from a IC who owned part of the FEDEX system. She said that he then would be considered a salaried employee of a contractor. A salary is based on a 8 hour work day. If such employee makes 500 a week the employee can only work 62.5 hours are the contractor is paying under minimum wage which he will get penalized for. The more you work the less your pay if you punch in and out which we do in the scanner there is a record of actual hours worked for the pay you recieve.